No front fences

babyluthi, Dec 12, 11:54pm
Can anyone tell me why so many family sized houses in Chch have no fences around the front gardens?

It doesn't make sense to me.

babylak, Dec 13, 12:01am
Subdivision rules and regulations normally.

brightlights60, Dec 13, 12:30am
Yes, in the newer subdivisions its often the regulations that come with the house/section that say you cannot have a fence over a certain height and not around the front of your house. Several have rules around the age of the car you park outside, and some have identical letterboxes for each and every home. Its supposed to make people conform so that the look of the subdivision is the same and keeps the prices of the homes resale value consistent. What it does is make it all look the same, and in a few years quite dated. Look at places like Westlake, they all look like little boxes all the same now.

pettal, Dec 13, 4:31am

supersapper, Dec 13, 7:19am
Where in Westlake are they all the same? Certainly in Wigram it would be hard to remember which house is yours as they are all so similar but Westlake has a good variety of styles and building materials and colours.

brightlights60, Dec 13, 7:28am
Many years ago I did party plan selling, and have been in and out f that subdivision over the years and inside many of the houses, as with many subdivisions where they have a few building firms and limited plans like in those days, a lot of the houses are the same, dated and tired looking.

nickyd, Dec 13, 7:48am
Yes, a lot to do with subdivision convenants which govern things like that and sometimes much much more. (like dog ownership and house colours etc). http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/business/your-property/9192756/Strict-rules-of-Canterburys-subdivisions .
From my very limited knowledge I think a lot of covenants do expire after a certain number of years, so you are then free to put up a front fence etc if you want.

supersapper, Dec 13, 7:54am
Hmmm I think you should take another drive around Westlake - I challenge you to point out where there are the same houses side by side using the same building materials as in Wigram etc. I walk around Westlake area often because I enjoy the variety in houses and gardens and fences, certainly I can pick out a few that were probably built by the same builder but they are scattered. I also like that there are such a wide variety of styles and shapes in the houses and that on the whole their gardens are interesting and well maintained. I don't find them dated and tired looking but then I'm not a fan of the modern builds at all.

supersapper, Dec 13, 8:14am
Having lived in army houses for a good chunk of my life I have a fine appreciation for dated, tired looking houses built with plans A through to H and knowing that when you visited your neighbour it was going to be exactly the same but perhaps flipped 180 degrees (they don't even do that in the new areas) and some older parts of Christchurch, such as Linwood have streets that make me feel I'm back in the army camp haha.

shannie1998, Dec 13, 8:42am
Our subdivision has fencing regulations -

Where I plant "green fence" (hedge) I can go right out to the boundary line but if I put up a solid fence it can't be any more than 3 metres from the house.
So I would loose about 6 metres of my front yard.

zoopa, Dec 13, 9:43am
I lived in one of those streets. Something like 6 different versions of plans in the old "state house' building era, with plans being flipped for variety. Built like brick outhouses was the consistent theme though, lol. And some really nice front fences too.

babyluthi, Dec 13, 12:36pm
You would think that OSH or ACC would be trying to push for front fences to be law in family homes.

It wasn't that long ago there were calls for driveways to be fenced due to kiddies getting hit by cars.

barbiedoll, Dec 13, 2:08pm
My brother was not allowed a fence around his property in Auckland, so he stood for the local council, somehow got the law changed and now has a fence.

jonners2013, Dec 13, 5:09pm
I've done numerous Town Planning degrees over the years and "permeability" is a big thing in planning theory. The idea being that 'eyes on the street' benefits everyone because it makes it harder for dodgy people to do dodgy things as they know that they are in full view.

New Zealand has basically been created in the time of the automobile. So our streets and suburbs are almost entirely designed for cars. That creates a very un-person friendly vibe. If streetscapes are safer for pedestrians, then more pedestrian will use the streetscapes, which in turn creates a more inviting atmosphere, which results in more 'livable' neighbourhoods.

I know lots of town planning rules seem totally arbitrary and obscure, but they generally do come from some sort of logic. Of course, in reality things go haywire but there usually is an idea behind the rules rather than just rules for the sake of it.

pdh, Dec 13, 10:44pm
Town planning degree.
Maybe you can explain why the local council here says that "lawn" is NOT considered landscaping. I gave up arguing with them and had to pay the extra for resource consent as my landscape plan didn't comply as it included lawn. The council have some really dumb rules and definitions but they seem to have you by the short and curlies.

bassmo1, Nov 6, 11:12pm
No fences, narrow roads, large berms. I though the new subdivisions would be bike friendly, but no and they aren't kid friendly either. I dont follow the logic of them.
In Auckland, where I come from the early streets were narrow, the houses close together the sections deep rather than wide. Most people caught public transport or walked where they needed to go, shops and businesses were close anyway.

But many of the new Canterbury subdivisions are a long way from public transport, shops and businesses, the way they are designed doesn't make sense, a household needs multiple cars to function.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)