Gas or electric for new house

We are in the process of building a new house and thought people here who have build might have some feedback on weather to go with gas or electric for water, heating and cook top. Or is a combination best.

We are a family of 4 with 2 girls approaching teenage years. Is gas any cheaper than electric? My wife would like a gas fire for heating rather than a heat pump in main lounge. So thinking maybe we should also have gas hot water and cook top.
But not sure especially with hot water, if its better or worse than electric cost wise. Electric seems to keep going up in cost, but not sure what gas is like as never had it and if in 5 to 10 years might be better or worse cost wise.
Any feedback would be good.

bunny2121, May 18, 6:13 pm

Gas is the nicest to cook with.

But its best provided with a 9kg gas bottle, and electric for everything else IMHO.

That's because the daily charge for gas can be as much as $1000 a year, before you even use any gas.

Its become very hard around here to sell a house with gas because people just don't want to pay $1000 PA for a connection, when they only save $200 PA on energy, compared to electric.

It would only work if you used a lot of energy, and the margin between gas and electric meant you saved at least $1000.

cammey, May 18, 6:22 pm

electric for water and go heat pump

stickman4u, May 18, 6:22 pm

do some research on heat pump hot water cylinders. Can save up to 50 % or more on hot water heating costs. a bit high up front coat but with a couple of teenages you gonna go through bucks of hot water. there quiet a few companies who do them.

dazza401, May 18, 6:59 pm

heatpump hot water sysem can also heat floor slab. we had quote for 23 grand to do heatpump system hot water and heat slab (250sqm). may seem high but no other heating required and even temp over whole house. this system had all the bells and whistles (could adjust temp in 5 separate zones etc). even if you just did the the hot water as a heatpump (and not slab) the pay back period would be quick.

dazza401, May 18, 7:03 pm

Gas fires can be expensive to run. They can also vary a hell of a lot from model to model in gas usage.

Personally, I much prefer gas for the cooktop. I also prefer gas instant hot water. But i grew up in a country with mains gas and I hate gas bottles.

In an ideal world I'd have a wood fire, gas hot water and cooking and also a ducted air conditioning system for both heating and cooling.

jonners2013, May 18, 7:24 pm

we have built recently - put in heat pumps and a gas fire for top up in the depths of winter(and looks nice too!). Can get efficient gas fires - rinnai do them. Also have gas hot water and have had for years now - wouldn't go back to tank. With teenagers I love the never run out aspect! Gas hobs are a must! We use cylinders so not on natural gas. Cost $90 for a 45kg about one every 6-10 weeks depending on time of year. Rentals of cylinders is $100 year.

jane310567, May 18, 7:31 pm

and our friends are building in a few months and using solar panels to heat house - pipes in the slab. and to heat water. Most of their roof will be solar panels.

jane310567, May 18, 7:39 pm

Cooktop - Induction if you can afford it. Is the new standard and better than a gas cooktop.

Depending on house size heat pump will be more efficient for heating although a gas fire does have that different heat.

Hot water - Gas

jon9, May 18, 8:02 pm

Mrs B here. We have owned 3 houses, built 2 and renovated one. By far the best for us has been a combination. This proved itself in the earthquakes, being ready for any eventuality and also in saving power. Our last house had gas hot water and heating. Our current is electric heatpumps and log fire (which we will not part with under any circumstances) for heating, and we are just installing gas (instant) hot water to help on power bills. Ours is a very long 70's house and lots of large windows. We have an electric oven, and a gas hob which can be manually lit. That's important as in the power cuts after the quakes we had the log burner for heat and the hob for cooking. Its always good to have a back up plan for any natural disaster as we found out.

brightlights60, May 18, 9:12 pm

Just to add, if you have gas heating, make sure its flue'd. We had a larger log burner type gas heater in the lounge of our last house that was not. The house was extremely well insulted and we had quite a condensation problem in the winter, and its no good for asthmatics. you do lose a lot of your gas heat up the flu but its not worth not having one. you want to go the heat pump way, have a look in new show homes. A lot of them have like a central system now that combines heat pumps, dehumidifier, air con all in one. Very cost effective and with the new double glazing and insulation in new homes now compulsory very cosy.

brightlights60, May 18, 9:16 pm

just got solar panels installed and for hot water for a older home Best way to go in a new home while being built

harrislucinda, May 18, 9:37 pm

We have gas storage hot water Rheem Stella and it's brilliant we never run out of hot water and if we do it can reheat itself in 3/4 hr. No power required to run it so we still have hot water in power cuts. We have log burner & heat pumps for heating and mainly use log burner as it heats the whole house and we have our own supply of wood.

paddypf, May 18, 9:50 pm

Thanks for reply's guys. Seems like a few things to consider.

bunny2121, May 19, 2:13 pm

electric induction is fantastic - nothing gets hot except the pan, easily cleaned instant cooking, has timers, auto turn offs for boil over etc - as fast as, maybe even faster than, gas. If you are installing gas just for cooking then think about induction its makes lots of sense. Problem with gas is hiring of gas bottles having on going costs of both gas and power to pay for

tmc1, May 19, 2:23 pm

Heat pumps versus gas. Gas would win hands down every time. I can't stand the artificial heat of the heat pump blowing on your head. We have two expensive gas fires We use one and a night store in the stair well down stairs plus double glazing. Our power bills are not expensive. It heats our home well. If I was building I would be trialling solar panels.

tennisfanz, May 19, 2:28 pm

Re heatpumps - I much prefer the floor mounted ones - have had the high ones before and they seem to be quite breezy. just another thing!

jane310567, May 19, 3:42 pm

There are currently two brands of log burner available in Chch for new homes . but I'd suggest getting in quick because I have a sneaky feeling ECan will pull the pin in so much as not renewing the group resource consent for those burners .
It would seem that the new authorisation method is flawed . just as the old test was . instead of identifying the flaws in the old test and rejigging , they hired the same guy who wrote the first test to write a new one . then ignored advice from local experts and overseas scientists , and fired ahead authorising burners for all homes which emit far more than they thought .
I wont give figures , but lets just say the test was flawed enough to cause major concern . NESAQ is a dead duck thanks to ECan's mismanagement of our air shed , and the city will suffer because of it

golfaholic2, May 19, 4:31 pm

Yea was looking into that today and think induction might be a better way to go.

bunny2121, May 19, 6:38 pm

just remember that you can use gas hobs in a power outage.

jane310567, May 19, 7:56 pm

if you go the heat pump route have the cental heating type.We have one you dont get air blowing on you as the outlets are ceiling mounted

jkp58, May 19, 8:02 pm

At our last house we had gas hot water and cookign and loved it. Once you cook on gas you will never want to go back. Our current house is full electric and it is quite frustrating how long a pot takes to boil and when you run out of hot water. We are looking to build and will definitely go back to gas for our cooking and hot water. Most power retailers have a single charge for gas and electric so there is no extra line charge to gave both. We are just considering what we will do for heating but think that we will go heat pump because of the possibility of solar electricity becoming cheap enough in the future to use our own generated power for heating the house with the heat pump during the day.

travis47, May 20, 6:18 am

yep i agree, you can't beat gas. i've had induction in the past and i really didn't see what all the fuss is about.

jonners2013, May 20, 8:50 am

I got rid of a gas hob & replaced it with induction & would never go back to gas (unless it's a BBQ).

samanya, May 20, 12:22 pm

Gas hot water is fantastically cheap! Also you don't have a cylinder so all that extra storage space in your hall cupboard! (And no cylinder to break in the next round of quakes)

roshu, May 21, 2:22 pm

Solar for hot water (with a wetback if you can have a fire) and power booster if necessary. Have never regretted going this way.

kacy5, May 22, 12:52 am

Gas hot water is not cheap! It's the most expensive way to heat water. Heat pump hot water is 3 times less expensive than gas. You won't run out of water if you size the cylinder correctly, and because it's mains pressure your shower will work great

kerry22, May 23, 6:39 pm

I did this online tool and found that for my needs electric cylinder would be dearest at $1900/yr, instant gas would be $1500 (altho I can't see that as even worst case scenario we would go thru only 10 cylinders a year at $93 each plus $100 for rental($1100)) and heat pump cylinder would be $600-$1100. Start up costs for HP hot water is double that of the first two.
I would consider solar or HP hot water maybe if I was building again but happy as larry with instant gas esp as the kids will leave home in the next 5 years and we will only need such a small amount of hot water - hardly need to store it!

jane310567, May 23, 9:57 pm

so in conclusion, everyone think whatever they have is the best.

jonners2013, May 23, 10:51 pm

Is this info correct to date as far as installing a new ecan approved logburner in a new build. What is the best path to go down to ensure a logburner can be installed in a new build in Chch city? thanks

ljx, Dec 30, 2:40 am

Share this thread