Stray cow causes crash in Canterbury

farminglad, Jul 1, 6:52 am
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/69834818/stray-cow-causes-crash-in-canterbury

I recently was called out late at night to put straying cattle back under control, As I was working alone and in the dark with hazard lights going I was horrified to find that the motorist would not slow down or stop .
So word of warning to the people that seem to drive like a tosser on rural roads , slow down and take more care as there could be something just around the corner that shouldn't be there.

junie2, Jul 2, 12:28 am
Strange heading. IMO the farmer/owner of the cow, caused the crash. Just like drivers ( not cars ) cause crashes.

nightsky1, Jul 2, 1:17 am
"Hazard lights" are generally an indication to slow down and take extra care.

I think the word "Hazard" might be a clue.

sadly stupid drivers take zero notice of them at their peril.

issymae, Jul 2, 1:24 am
came home one night to find cows outside my place ,some around house ,bit scarey seeing red eyes and black every where; luckily plenty of help from another neighbour; The smart animals had lifted gate off hinges; left one H of mess on lawn as it was a frosty night and broke off a few shrubs etc

tygertung, Jul 2, 5:20 am
Better heading could be "Reckless Driver Smashes Into Cow"?

queentee2, Jul 2, 6:28 am
Agree. Yes there is an measure of responsibility that the farmer has to ensure the animals are safely tucked away in their paddocks. However, the nature of the beasties is that they can escape. They will find the weakness in a fence line or create one, and boy can they jump when they want to or are spooked enough, and as someone mentioned above, lift gates off hinges. In rural area's yes one should expect 'the unexpected'. Slow down, or be prepared to have to stop.

I nearly hit a cow in the pitch darkness of night, but worse it was thick with mountain fog. Came on real quickly, and I wasn't expecting it. Could only just see about 3 mtres in front of me. was naturally a very slow trip. All of a sudden out of nowhere nudging my headlight was the side of a cows head. Thankfully I was being sensible and travelling ever so slowly I was able to comfortably stop, hazard lights on, I jumped out to check the cow. Couldn't see a dam thing due to the thickness of the fog.

Hazards lights ARE the big give away. yeah, designed for a purpose.

tygertung, Jul 2, 9:10 am
Also what if there was a person crossing the road? Or a ton of bricks blocking it?! The driver should be able to stop in half the visible distance. That's the law.

mr-treevers, Jul 3, 1:38 am
Do you really expect people to crawl along at 20kms/hr just in case a cow happens to jump out in front of them? In case you are not aware, cows can run. They don't just stand in the middle of the road in full view of oncoming cars. They appear out of nowhere, from gateways, ditches, hedges etc. It's a bit difficult to stop in half the visible distance if the thing you hit wasn't even there half a second ago!

wrinkles56, Jul 3, 4:40 am
Illegal to have your stock running all over the road.Should be ashamed that people are getting killed by these animals which are not under control.

tygertung, Jul 3, 5:22 am
No I just expect people to be responsible and drive to the conditions. Don't just look directly in front but also scan for hazards along the side of the road. Remember when you are driving that you are doing something which takes great responsibility and can be dangerous.

stojo, Jul 3, 5:39 am
One should drive at a speed they can anticipate these things and be able to avoid them

urbanrefugee54, Jul 3, 10:10 am
whenever I see hazard lights. I slow down. you never know what is in front of you. I drive to survive.

volkier, Jul 3, 11:19 am
It's impossible to anticipate everything at any given time, whether or not you are a driver behind the wheel or a farmer making sure all your fences are up to scratch. Shit happens. People need to realise that is a common occurrence in life.

EDIT: Doesn't mean that everyone should just ignore everything and anything else obviously. People driving on rural roads should obviously be looking out for stock, people driving around the CBD of a city at midnight should be looking out for drunks, people driving around residential streets in the afternoon should be looking out for school children, people having animals should be looking out that the fences are all suitable and so on. None of that changes. Just doesn't change the fact that no matter how much everyone tries, nothing is guaranteed or perfectly predictable.

EDIT 2:
And all the above said, as a public service announcement; if a farmer is standing in the middle of the road next to a parked car with hazard lights on, waving their arms at you to stop, please don't be a moron.

das.newzealand, Jul 5, 11:57 am
OK. First question I would ask is 'What the hell is your wife doing out of the kitchen'

dudekrulz, Jul 5, 12:01 pm
meh, another day, another cow hits a car in South Canterbury. I've seen a 4WD condemned be a writeoff when it lost against a bull on SH1.

I've taken a back country gravel road one time, turn the blind corner at 60 KM/H, a bull appears in the middle of the road. Oh yeah. Thanks heavens the other side of the road had no one there.

When driving around, you should expect this as a possiblity.

tygertung, Jul 5, 10:52 pm
There is a law which specifically stipulates that you must be able to stop within half of the visible distance in front of you.
If you do not agree with this law, that is no problem at all. If you do not wish to comply with it, well simple. Don't drive a car.

mr-treevers, Jul 5, 11:20 pm
Are you completely unable to comprehend that observing this law will not prevent collisions with objects that move into your path, at speed, from concealed locations? Rather stupid to blame the driver when you don't know the facts!

dudekrulz, Jul 6, 12:21 am
^

Not to mention blind corners and a bull magically appears!

annies3, Jul 6, 1:05 am
Yes there is a law which states you must be able to stop in half the visible distance in front of you BUT this is on narrow country roads not highways.

stojo, Jul 6, 5:46 am
What difference does it make what roads your are on?

stojo, Jul 6, 5:49 am
So you are saying they don't come out of nowhere? they come from gateways, ditches, hedges etc and you need to be considering these things when using the road

mr-treevers, Jul 6, 6:14 am
What are you doing on the TMMB at this time of night? Assuming that you have a job which you need to be at in the morning, and assuming that you practice what you preach and map every ditch and gateway along your route and then drive slowly enough to avoid every conceivable potential road hazard. then shouldn't you have left for work already?

stojo, Feb 14, 1:09 pm
Plenty of time to kill on here yet matey! it's a 18km trip at around 30km/hr on the pushie for me in the morning and yip I'll be doing my best to scan for hazards the whole way in.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)