The Old Vicarage, Halswell

Anyone been there recently? Google reviews range from 2 stars to 5 stars. We are thinking lunch, or maybe dinner, for a special occasion

lorischch, Aug 30, 8:54 am

Yes. For dinner and breakfast recently.
Very happy with food, service and ambiance. This place manages to do several things well. It is a local bar, a quality restaurant, all day coffee/teas, garden setting, quiet areas, busy areas and plenty of parking
Great steak menu too.
If it is a special occasion for a group you might like to book one of their private rooms - they looked lovely.

evergreene, Aug 30, 9:05 am

They do a pretty great eggs Benny

dannyboy24, Aug 30, 11:23 am

Thoroughly recommend it. I go out for coffee and lunch with a couple of friends on a reasonably recurring basis. This is one of our regular places to meet. Things we like about it: food never disappoints, staff are always friendly and they never hurry us to leave because they're closing - we like to sit and natter for a long time and because they're a pub the closing isn't an issue. Have never been in the evening and I guess it could be different then. It is usually quite busy even during the day and so a bit noisy but there are smaller rooms and you could probably book one of those if you like. Enjoy your meal out

catfan, Aug 30, 11:42 am

I have been there over the last two or three years on many occasions ranging from just a coffee, lunch, dinner and two special group dinners. I have not been disappointed yet.

letitia, Aug 30, 2:22 pm

Yep, lovely place whenever you go.

2bit, Aug 30, 2:53 pm

Had lunch there recently - lovely day so sat outside. Food great, service great and no pressure to vacate the table once we had finished eating, so ended up nattering and ordering another coffee which is always a plus!

antonios1, Aug 30, 2:59 pm

Going tonight for the first time. Will report back.

mss2006, Aug 30, 3:10 pm

i would never go there as we know a chef that worked there and the stories we heard, so totally been put off

kids4ever, Aug 30, 4:44 pm

Been there regularly - great food, service sometimes a little slow/shambolic but bearable for the food. On par or better then the Villas if you've been there - we always return

sport_billy, Aug 30, 10:09 pm

It's OK.

Not terrible but definitely not amazing.

foamyone, Aug 31, 7:51 am

Our favourite is now iZone at Rolleston. Lovely food, nice place and excellent service

craftylady1, Aug 31, 11:14 am

It is a local for us - I hate to say it but it can be a bit hit and miss. Although in fairness that last three times the food has been lovely.

gerogia1, Aug 31, 3:52 pm

only been there once - was pretty bad, stale dry cakes and the staff started vacuuming around our table while we were there - I fully expected them to ask us to lift our feet so they could vacuum under them :-)

annie_kiwi, Sep 1, 3:45 pm

I'd agree with that. They use a lot of commercial products, as opposed to making from scratch, such as frappé's and smoothies with various powders added. Nothing unusual about that but it would be my choice of restaurant. Basically, it's adequate. The setting is nice enough.

therazor, Jun 18, 2:09 am

Share this thread