Rates up nearly 30% over 3yr

Announced about an hour ago, amazed I am the first to post on it !
Hmm, not sure I will be in my current house based on (declining) income and increasing expenses for that much longer.

gman35, Jun 27, 12:21 pm

everything is increasing, not worth worrying about,you just have to go with it as nothing you can do about it, not worth stressing

kids4ever, Jun 27, 12:30 pm

Oh cheers for that #2, for a second there I was thinking that the discrepancy between increasing costs and my decreasing ability to pay them was going to be a future issue, but now I can stop stressing.

gman35, Jun 27, 12:36 pm

I hear working for the CCC pays well, perhaps apply for a job. ?

jon9, Jun 27, 1:21 pm

8% rates rise and they still have to sell assets, people like # 2 is why they know they can do it & there'll be no fuss made.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/69722791/christchurch-city-council-approves-10-billion-budget

speights40, Jun 27, 1:34 pm

"Not worth stressing". Are you serious? It's hard enough for many people now. they don't t need this too!

tarn146, Jun 27, 1:41 pm

this cost is met by christchurch ratepayers
how about all the people who dont own a home?

kellypchch, Jun 27, 1:54 pm

Your landlord / holiday park owner will happily pass it on to you.

gman35, Jun 27, 1:57 pm

There will be no option for many (especially in this current economic slowdown for most industry's), to either downscale their house to free up funds, or do what we have, and somehow find a room for a boarder at least.
I feel quite a few families will actually have to start "combining" their housing pretty soon, like many do overseas.

gman35, Jun 27, 2:02 pm

The taxpayer expenditure talked about in the last few days by the Government becomes even more outrageous when the little ole kiwi hard worker can never seem to get ahead. It is almost becoming impossible to stay in your own home with all the layers taking more and more of any left over income that you break your back trying to get ahead for. If it is not the Government wanting it, it's the Councils & we wonder why we never seem to go forward.

speights40, Jun 27, 2:08 pm

the earthquakes and the following recovery obviously have made the situation worse, but even so rates/taxes/costs ALWAYS go up and your income will almost always decline if you're not working because your investments will diminish.

having to downsize in order to afford your lifestyle in retirement is nothing new.

spare a thought for young generations who will most likely not be able to rely on any pension or handouts by the time they're elderly. they will need massive superannuation available to fund their lives.

jonners2013, Jun 27, 2:10 pm

Yeah, I wasn't even referring to downsizing to keep a lifestyle for retirement , I am meaning the ability for us 2 parent's in our 40's just keeping an "owned/mortgaged" roof over the family just for now !

gman35, Jun 27, 2:18 pm

It is worth stressing about if you are likely to loose your house down the track because rates have become unaffordable. When asset sales were proposed it was to keep rate rises down which is not going to happen which is a bit of a con.

cassina1, Jun 27, 2:23 pm

The non home owners will be paying but just in rent rises.

cassina1, Jun 27, 2:25 pm

# 2 is the type of home owner they like. 2 things come to mind, a) sheep & b) mushrooms.

speights40, Jun 27, 2:26 pm

Leave chch, if possible, we are.

bratpack06, Jun 27, 2:40 pm

That shouldn't have to happen though, it's because of #2 (and general Kiwi's) just accepting stuff, if they can afford it, that things keep increasing.
I am a small business owner who is astounded how hard things have become just recently, while Councillor's and those who run our lives in general really do seem unaffected, they just keep upping the use of OUR earned $$$.
So looks like now is the time (and it's all over NZ especially re: Auckland Council also) to actually say "NO, you guys will run our cities with the same % increase that the average worker has had this year, to run their family budget" !

gman35, Jun 27, 2:55 pm

no doubt there is room for improved efficiency in councils and that would save a lot of money. but, costs increase. it's what happens. throw into that the significant additional inflation cause by the earthquakes and you get somewhat of a 'perfect storm' type of scenario. it sucks and it's difficult, but it's certainly not 100% the council's fault.

jonners2013, Jun 27, 3:16 pm

Where would you go?

geoone, Jun 27, 4:29 pm

You can tell people care by the fact that 5 people have posted in this thread.

Obviously those busy working and earning well haven't seen it yet.

jon9, Jun 27, 4:47 pm

I actually expected it. Another expense. Every day above ground is a good one. its only money - what choice do you have?

jane310567, Jun 27, 6:15 pm

well our rates are 4k a year, between the rates and the insurance, its an extra $200 a week for just those 2 things its ridiculous

pooks3, Jun 27, 6:21 pm

She was right, she did get some ideas from Aucks Len.

bligh, Jun 27, 6:42 pm

Surprised its so low with troughers like Buck and Chen in there.

drcjp, Jun 27, 6:57 pm

Thanks for the legacy Gary, Bob and Tony.

foal30, Jun 27, 7:54 pm

The problem is the damaged infrastructure ie broken sewer lines . water pipes etc etc and they have to be paid for -this will take at least 20 years to be fixed.

charie4, Jun 27, 8:16 pm

lol, yes i am very serious

kids4ever, Jun 27, 8:22 pm

why stress over something you can't control, but i do see your point, i am not totally in sensative

kids4ever, Jun 27, 8:24 pm

I'm a bit worried by the selling of stuff which generates an income. I'd rather go without stuff for a bit or find other ways to fund it, than sell off.

lindaquinn, Jun 27, 8:57 pm

From that item "Cr Yani Johanson said the council would not be in the financial position it was in if it had not been forced to accept the "unaffordable" Christchurch Central Recovery Plan prepared by the Government, which had pushed the cost of the planned central city rebuild up from $800m to $2b."

Bollocks, it is because a prior council grossly under insured and was proud they were saving money because "It is inconceivable that a single event could impact across all assets.

tony9, Jun 27, 10:03 pm

Obviously no one wants massively higher rates but the reality is the city was hammered by an earthquake and it's costing a bit to rebuild it. I'm not really seeing any other option.

william1980, Jun 27, 10:59 pm

Agree,but why were so underinsured? Im sorry,but if i didnt insure my tv for the full replacement value,why should i have my hand out for someone else to pay for it.Face it people. life as we knew it was as we knew it.We will never go back,everything in life now will cost more,be over inflated,and along with that will come some pathetic excuse as to why.That,and not just our council,but Govt as well will feed us shit upon shit to justify their rules and policies. and you know what? We are too weak to stand up and while we sit back and say nothing,we will be walked over and accepting.

kletis1, Jun 28, 1:56 am

First we were so under insured because of the Bob and Tony sideshow mentioned earlier in this mb. Secondly if we all came round and watched your tv, wouldn't you like others to help pay for it if it broke down? The fact is, council doesn't have a bottomless money pit and we all have to pay for the infrastructure that we use to get repaired. I would like to see not just ratepayers but all residents paying. ( I know some will say that they pay through rent). Also maybe neighboring places like Waimakariri and Rolleston residents should be paying towards Christchurch's recovery costs as most of these people work or play within Christchurch and use the roads and infrastructure. There, rant over!

bookmart, Jun 28, 7:53 am

4/5 years on it doesn't even matter any more why the council underinsured everything. It has happened. It's done. The only question is how to fund repairs.

jonners2013, Jun 28, 8:22 am

I wonder how much these repairs would cost if we did not need 300 cones 36 signs, a massive cone truck with impact-shock absorbers, 4 stop go men on walkies talkies and a supervisor to control a give way intersection on a side street for a week so some one can look down a man hole for five minutes.

The Stop go guys are getting $15 in their hand but the temping company they are working for are actually getting $25 an hour.

Who is going to end up paying for all of this, it appears its going to be the rate payers of Christchurch.

barneymiller, Jun 28, 10:08 am

good luck, and i bet there are many parents in your situation now . i've been regularly thanking my advancing age and consequently rapidly diminishing mortgage since the quakes. just barely hanging on too.

lambrat, Jun 28, 11:08 am

You forgot to mention that he's looking down the manhole to see if they're going to need to rip up the road they just finished resurfacing.

mm12345, Jun 28, 1:44 pm

Not these days, they put an even more costly camera down it, the pipes in North Beach have had more pics taken of them than the whole of the Royal family in the last few years

llew46, Jun 28, 4:07 pm

What about all the redigging up as I bet there is big money being lost there but I have never read anything in the media from the council/Cera about it which is quite odd.

cassina1, Jun 28, 11:15 pm

A lot of the stuff was uninsurable . The CCC have to watch their costs & be smarter - but I still want a vibrant , attractive city with lots of facilities - some of this needs to be done at a later date - eg covered stadium - lots of Chch people going to Wellington, Auckland & Dunedin for events - this is money not spent here - this is a negative for the young - downtown has got to be given over to walkers & made beautiful - high st x5 - a destination in itself - a place for foreign toursits to stay 1 or 2 days extra .
You have to assume we are heading to 500 thousand pop. in 20-30 years

So I do not mind paying if I get these things - but I understand is a great struggle for others .

graemehw, Jun 29, 12:05 am

I wonder how much these repairs would cost if we did not need 5 or 6 new heads in the mayor??s personal office staff, so someone can jet off on overseas ratepayer funded ???sister city?? holidays.

The secretaries and spin doctors are getting $75,000 to $100,000 p.a. in their hand but the consultants they hire to audit the books are working for are actually getting $1500 an hour.

Who is going to end up paying for all of this, it appears its going to be the rate payers of Christchurch.

jerry1018, Jun 29, 9:21 am

Well said.

intheoneone, Jun 30, 11:45 am

I think it's easy for all the anti Bob people to lay the blame with him but, I'm sure the under insurance of our assets goes way back, Bob inherited it & unfortunately carried on as normal then the quakes hit.

likit, Mar 22, 3:12 am

Share this thread