Feel safe walking at night in Christchurch?

My son was walking in town with a mate when they were attacked by a group of ferals who stole their money, watch and cell phone. They were beaten up but it could have been much worse. I walked a few blocks in the dark to a concert in Auckland a few weeks ago and did not feel uneasy. Has Christchurch become more unsafe?

tennisfanz, May 29, 7:50 am

Definitely. some guy insisted I get into his car a couple of weeks ago and last week my mother and I were followed by a guy while we were out doing our walking so we had to hide in a car wash!

gypsy271, May 29, 7:57 am

Better look out for random seals

craftylady1, May 29, 8:04 am

Lol what a crack up!

gypsy271, May 29, 8:07 am

Christchurch has a really "off" feeling to it. We've decided to leave for greener pastures, definitely in part due to this.

sanch147, May 29, 9:56 am

So to hear about your sons attack, I hope you have reported to police and checked any near by spots or houses for possible security footage to help. I wouldnt walk around at night. too damn cold for one but the cover of darkness and not many people about gives those sort of low opportunists too much advantage. If in doubt always cross the street and keep as far away as possibly from suss characters doesnt matter if it looks weird/ un tough or call the police if being followed, or go knock on someones door etc. Best just to get a lift to and fro and only got out for walks in busy well lit areas or in daytime

coffeeone, May 29, 10:33 am

Nope. I don't feel any less safe here than most other places in the world. The one thing that can sometimes make a difference is the sheer lack of people. For eg in say NYC there are always a bagillion people around so you feel safer knowing that. But then I don't find that an issue because I don't roam around deserted parts of Chch at night.

jonners2013, May 29, 1:50 pm

Don't feel safe walking down my street anytime! Just drove past another cordoned off house with a tent up. 3 police cars, another suspicious death in the street.

family007, May 29, 1:55 pm

People have been saying that for at least as long as I have been in Christchurch (about 15 years now), although I have personally never had any problems walking around at night. Unfortunately, nasty things do happen to people who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, as they do in any city in the world.

puddles11, May 29, 4:14 pm

I definately don't feel safe walking around at night in Christchurch! When we went to Auckland recently we felt really safe walking around the CBD at night, but not here!

doggybear, May 29, 5:03 pm

so, you felt safe wondering around Auckland's busy, populated, lit up cbd with an extremely high presence of police but not Christchurch's non existent cbd? Im sure you wouldn't feel safe wondering around Otara nor would you in Aranui.

ryanm2, May 29, 5:48 pm

Christchurch has a large number of Criminals (many sexual offenders) which are dumped here for "a fresh start", no family here, no connection to the place, so once they are released from custody, almost always they are paroled here too. Look at most of the high profile murders, and they're almost all by North island crims who have been "deported" here.

jcmp21, May 29, 7:22 pm

ryanm2. I didn't feel safe before the earthquakes walking around in the CBD in Christchurch either! Probably because I had a knife pulled on me in the afternoon in broad daylight in the Square in the late 80's! Aside from that. I still never felt safe.

doggybear, May 29, 7:27 pm

I agree totally with this. There is an emptiness to the city I think it's been this way for a while. The underbelly.

tennisfanz, May 29, 7:34 pm

Where did you go?

zoopa, May 29, 9:02 pm

There was an article a while ago in Stuff that said the criminal demographic in Chch comprised mostly of weird white men.

zoopa, May 29, 9:04 pm

I wouldn,t feel safe at night out there anywhere.

jessebird, May 29, 9:35 pm

The problem with Christchurch is that you are always going to have a bad bunch who take advantage of a situation, which at the moment is the abundance of dodgy areas (demolitions, empty houses, red zone) to hang out in. I think its common sense not to put yourself in a position where you could be in danger, and that applies anywhere in the world. Was in Sydney a few weeks ago, felt safe at night in some areas but not others, same everywhere.

brightlights60, May 29, 9:41 pm

Id only walk at night with bullmastiff boy by my side
Way too dangerous here- theres lowlifes all oved

strats5, May 29, 9:51 pm

I've never felt unsafe walking around at night, both pre-quake or post-quake. I've never had any problems, though. Maybe if I'd had a run in with some undesirables I'd feel different?

I live in Linwood and regularly walk or bike home from the city at night. Always have. Have lived here for 20 plus years, never had any issues with crime etc.

francesca11, May 29, 11:18 pm

When areas have booming economies, they also suffer from a rise in crime. More money floating around thus more drug/drink consumption.

lucky.gadgets, May 29, 11:20 pm

what area or street was that? nothing in the news this morning
There were half a dozen or more unmanned police cars parked along ferry rd around lunch yesterday, dont know what was going on there?

coffeeone, May 30, 9:56 am

Some areas I'd feel as safe as houses. Other areas I'd not be so happy.

melcraig, May 30, 6:07 pm

Christchurch was dodgy 20 years ago.
Why would you think it would be better now days.

survivalkiwi, May 30, 6:15 pm

yeah but its just too fuckin cold is all lol

lil_tarnz, May 30, 8:13 pm

Mrs B here. I don't even walk the dog anymore here in Redwood, since a weirdo jumped out of the bushes with his dog (sharpei) and attacked my elderly husky x. The guy was apparently homeless and lives in parks all over the country (so the lady I know at dog control told me after the event). He was laughing and saying his dog was "naughty" for going for my elderly girls throat. Luckily husky's have a huge mane to thwart attacks like this. I told him to put his flippen dog on a lead and he flipped out at me. Anyway, I was with someone else, but it left me quite shaken, and I don't go on my own anymore. We have had the odd assault too, which is a shame as its a gigantic park and almost always empty so cool for letting dogs go for a run under supervision.

brightlights60, May 30, 8:34 pm

ive been living in chch for over 15 years now. i have never felt safe walking at night.

metaller, Jun 4, 6:06 pm

Christchurch has a large number of Criminals (many sexual offenders) which are dumped here for "a fresh start", no family here, no connection to the place, so once they are released from custody, almost always they are paroled here too. Look at most of the high profile murders, and they're almost all by North island crims who have been "deported" here.
jcmp21 7:22 pm, Thu 28 May #13

That's exactly right, been going on for years now.

griffin55, Jun 5, 11:37 am

Christchurch has always had its fair share of home-grown ferals. Just like anywhere else.

chch_gal, Jun 6, 4:41 pm

Sure isn't

zoopa, Jun 6, 5:41 pm

sorry to say it. but the best thing about chch has always been the bypass.road.

ozz1, Jun 6, 6:08 pm

Let's get real . wouldn't the title of this thread be fairer if it read
"Feel safe walking at night in Christchurch, or any other city in NZ or even the world?"

samanya, Jun 6, 7:05 pm

Lived here all my life and we are leaving too, selling business, house, everything! It's s**t here.

bratpack06, Jun 6, 7:51 pm

Have you lived in many other cities? Having spent a fair amount of time in Dublin, Adelaide and Sydney I know exactly where I would rather live. Chch aint perfect, but it is safe here (statistically speaking). Its headlines news when there is a perv on the port hills. A lot of this 'underbelly' people speak of is just bored housewives making things up.

ryanm2, Jun 6, 8:42 pm

^^^ we are staying in NZ but there are a lot nicer places than chch, warmer too!

bratpack06, Jun 6, 8:58 pm

I completely agree - it can be cold and dreary here and that easterly has no friends. But as I get older the more I appreciate where I live, the facilities that we have for a small city are excellent, our location, the weather (this last summer was pretty awesome), the people etc etc. Obviously with the rebuild some unsavoury characters have appeared , but they will go back to where ever they come from (one hopes).

ryanm2, Jun 6, 9:08 pm

+ 100.

samanya, Jun 6, 9:13 pm

Spoken like a truly clueless person who hasn't lived in ChCh for the majority of their life and has no idea about the Underbelly this town has. Now move along, time for a nappie change and a bottle for you.

subs1, Jun 10, 11:39 am

I have lived in chch for the majority of my life and it sounds like another geriatric waffling about this dreaded underbelly. Some examples of this belly, under or over, im not fussed would be great. Pork belly is great.

ryanm2, Jun 10, 5:59 pm

If you don,t like the cold, leave! i love Winter.

jessebird, Jun 11, 9:57 pm

I've lived in Chch all my life. I definitely feel safer walking in CBD of Melbourne, Sydney or Singapore (places I have visited) at night than Christchurch but that is because there are a lot more people around. Definitely have to pick your places to walk at night in Christchurch. I'm OK in my area (Burwood) as long as I stick to main roads/lit up streets. Wouldn't want to venture into less lit up streets in any suburb at night. Not just a Chch thing, I feel safer when there are lots of people around and the area is well lit.

bootsy2003, Jun 11, 10:02 pm

Depends on the area. I'm a tiny thing, but I'm ok with walking some areas, always have. Others, only if my partner is with me, we've walked through Linwood once at 2am. Mind you apparently he's a "big tattooed intimidating looking Maori" lol, ridiculous how people can judge.

katstillwell, Jun 13, 2:29 pm

Police have virtually no staff rostered on anymore in the early hours, and general traffic is almost nil during the week since nobody goes out anymore. Nobody is likely to see an incident and stop to help

It is way more dangerous to be out alone, especially walking, than it was pre-quake

mikechch, Jun 16, 12:18 am

disagree, and I am out and about very late till 4am at least 5 nights a week. It's much dodgier now than it used to be

mikechch, Jun 16, 12:20 am

That's not altogether accurate; either. Auckland CBD gets a lot of street muggings and random attacks in the early hours, but if you were only down by the Viaduct then that is safer. Try K-Road!

mikechch, May 30, 2:39 am

Share this thread