Diy double glazing

treens2, May 25, 5:23am
Whos done it and what do you recommend. Any thoughts please?

echoriath, May 25, 5:51am
What type of window frames do you have, metal or timber?
How old are the existing windows?
What's the state of them if timber? Any rot?

helen149, May 25, 6:00am
We will be interested in this too, because we are thinking of trying it as well.

crash01, May 25, 6:21am
hvr do a very good double glazing its acrylicand better then glass

mattnzw, May 25, 8:51am
What makes you say it is better than glass. Glass doesn't scratch for one. The best double glazing is the professional stuff, although any double glazing as a limited life before the IGU's need replacing, as the vacuum seal fails.

treens2, May 26, 4:52am
Wooden window frames,100 year old villa under earthquake repair. I have heard you can buy some sort of plastic I presume, from mitre 10.Anyone used it and is it efficient, only really need it to last this winter as repairs will be completed in the next six months and windows concerned will be replaced before next winter. Thanks for your replies

treens2, May 26, 5:07am
Hi, can you explain a little more about hvr I have never heard of them. thanks

crash01, May 26, 5:45am
hi,hrv sell and install acrylic double glazing to the inside frames of timber and aluminium windows and doors. in doing this you dont alter the look of your windows especially with timber windows the benefits of acrylic are too numerous to put on here.hope this helps cheers

treens2, May 26, 6:28am
Are they a Christchurch company, cant seem to find them on google. Any contact details,thanks

hammer145, May 26, 8:22am
hi, hrv are at 88 haytons rd sockburn chch or go to www

tavendale1, May 26, 10:05am
Plastic stuff like cling film works well on wooden. But leaves adhesive residue. So not a permanent solution. Buy at Bunnings or the community energy place. Wouldn't recommend if you're keeping the frames

claire351, May 27, 8:26am
Award plastics have it.

daisyhill, May 27, 10:04am
This is the film that you apply with double sided tape and then shrink and tighten with a hair dryer, right? We have had this for the last few years. It does come off the wooden frames eventually, especially if they aren't weatherproof and let the damp and wind through, but it's a wonderfully effective and cheap way of blocking drafts and taking the chill off the glass.

I wouldn't use it on windows that can be got at by small children or pets, because they won't see the film and will put fingers/claws straight through it. Also it's not totally effective for blocking drafts from windows that need to be opened. We seal some of our windows totally and just don't open them all winter, but some need to be opened occasionally and the draft still comes through the hinges and other places where foam insulation can't block it.

For your purposes and time frame I think it's a cheap way of making a big difference.

gillian25, May 27, 10:27am
Another one is , the plastic used for covering carpet when doing repairs. Can buy it from Bunnings by the roll. Quicker and more efficient. Rolls width is just the right size for old villas.

daisyhill, May 27, 11:05am
That's not a bad idea in a pinch - we have some left over from when EQC repainted everything and it could take care of the bathroom window (problematic for the proper film because it's really damp and breezy as the frame no longer fits). The double sided tape on that window only lasts weeks rather than months or years, and we've resorted to clear duct tape, but the carpet stuff is sticky by itself so it might work better. I don't think it would be as crystal clear as the proper stuff though. You wouldn't know the proper stuff was there at all until you were right up against it or touching it.

echoriath, May 27, 10:19pm
treens: Are the replacement windows going to be double-glazed timber or aluminium?

treens2, May 28, 5:35am
Yes, could you let me know the name of the product, used newspaper last winter taped to the windows but do miss my view off the southern alps, many thanks

supersapper, May 28, 5:51am
My sister and I have used the plastic with double sided cellotape for the last 3 winters (I haven't needed to replace any of mine that is on a window that doesn't need to be opened). Its really effective and cheap, once you get the knack of putting it up its a simple job.

treens2, May 28, 7:35am
Thanks for that idea, will sort the problems

daisyhill, May 28, 7:55am
Mitre10 sell the 3M INDOOR WINDOW INSULATOR KIT 5 WINDOW KIT (this pack does 5 average sized windows) for $49.98 on their website, and in store they'll probably have other sizes too for fewer windows or bigger ones. It's well worth the money in my opinion.

ju9, Jun 2, 8:35pm
If you have a tight budget bubble pack works well. (I gained 2 degrees once I did 4 big windows) Link:
buy the large bubbles, clear, (shardlows has a great range of sizes.)
cut to fit, spray windows with water, fit bubble pack. Makes it slightly opaque, but if view is not an issue and finances are, its worth a try. I did 12sqm for about $40 if you hate it you just peel off.

lambrat, Jul 18, 4:43pm
ditto . i still do this in my old house. on huge lounge windows (i don't look out at the driveway) and largest bedroom windows, especially all the top halves of nearly all windows.
all you do is cut to fit then spray the bubble side of the bubblewrap with water, and spray the windows a bit with water, and slap it up. very cheap to do and works very well, takes only a couple of minutes to quickly squirt any that start coming loose, about once a fortnight basis.
the only windows that need re-doing on slightly regular basis are those that get lots of sun.
it stops condensation as well, although i'm not sure how much a part all the floor length drapes play on that.
if needed, you don't have to replace the bubblewrap for several years. when the weather gets warmer i just roll it up and put it in the cupboard. ie. i am still using same stuff i bought new after the quakes.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)