Ok shower dome not a steam stopper

any good

bobin55, Aug 25, 9:35 pm

I haven't actually got one but friends think theirs is great :-)

ronash, Aug 25, 9:42 pm

My sister has one and is very pleased with the difference it makes in her bathroom.

supersapper, Aug 25, 10:27 pm

We have 2 and they are great. Makes a big difference to the steam on walls and ceilings.

tobie2, Aug 25, 10:30 pm

Yup great at stopping steam. also keeps you warmer in cold bathroom. Maybe not so good if you get claustrophobic.

trademegal, Aug 25, 10:32 pm

We looked at them but decided it would make cleaning more difficult especially the top of the dome and after all if you ventilate your bathroom and use a wall heater for the short time you are showering why would you go to this extra expense?

goldclan, Aug 26, 10:20 am

They great you can lift them off to clean, have one in sleepout and works great,

pepper-nala, Aug 26, 12:02 pm

How good are they when you have a bath?

captaingraham, Aug 26, 3:43 pm

We have one a love it. Not hard to clean; they don't need it all that often. Mirror and walls never have condensation on them. Don't need to run an extractor fan always. I usually grab my towel and dry off in the shower where it stays nice and warm!

uswoman, Aug 26, 4:00 pm

I find if you heat up the bathroom first you get much less steam.

jane310567, Aug 26, 6:17 pm

A bit awkward as they have a rounded top ,so tend to roll all over the place and get water every where.

fineo, Aug 26, 6:27 pm

Clearly never tried one.

That's actually a bit like saying "Look, I can walk to Sumner. It only takes 8 hours and I have to buy a new pair of shoes every month, but why would you bother with one of these "car" things if you can do it yourself?"

Honestly, they're just THAT much better.

astrophe, Aug 26, 6:35 pm

Super claustrophobic I'd say

treachug, Aug 26, 7:41 pm

Try white corflute sheet, more concealed, looks tidy and costs only $9 !

paxandtrax, Aug 26, 7:58 pm

every suitable shower ( no curtains ) should have. people cant seem to get their head around no steam, therefore no fan needed, no open windows needed, no wiping of walls, mirrors etc. The top only needs cleaning twice a year and a duster makes short work. Id love to see all the houses that have moisture issues in the bathroom with one.Solve a heap of problems

jennyp2, Aug 26, 8:08 pm

Bunnings have an equivalent that is around $100 cheaper than a shower dome*

maddie44, Aug 26, 8:26 pm

Polygal Twinwall Polycarbonate Roofing would be better , you wouldn't lose any light then
http://www.psp.co.nz/translucent-roofing/roofing-systems/twinwall-polycarbonate

maddie44, Aug 26, 8:30 pm

Sheet of flat acrylic does a better job lott cheaper

alister1, Aug 26, 8:59 pm

I tried one at a motel I was staying at while having house repairs done. First week no shower dome. Second and third week, shower dome. Really worked well for the steam BUT I couldn't stand the smell after the first week, it really stunk, hard to explain, just a real mouldy musty smell. Was put off the idea as a result. Sounds like lots of other people like them though.

oskybosky, Aug 26, 9:17 pm

That's what I did too. Got a piece of acrylic cut to fit. Cuts out most of the steam if you don't leave the door open for too long when you hop out (I presume that's how it is for the expensive shower domes too). Can't see why it needs to be dome shaped.

bootsy2003, Aug 27, 6:06 pm

Did you open up the shower to air it out daily or just leave it closed all the time?

astrophe, Aug 27, 8:10 pm

Our architect recommended AGAINST the shower dome He explained that the moisture makes its way to any corners and eventually CAUSES rot. I've seen it myself it goes BLACK. not nice if you have tiles etc

We prefered and chose a GOOD fan and ventilation system. very pricey too. could make your own with clear perspex plastic sheeting ?

steph_s2, Aug 27, 8:15 pm

Your architect was wrong.

astrophe, Aug 27, 8:18 pm

I might try that, thanks.
I don't have an issue with steam as i have a large bathroom . my issue is more of a draught while I'm showering, so something that I could put on top & take off easily for cleaning (& cheap) could be a goer.

samanya, Aug 28, 6:09 pm

Wouldn't it get really hot in there?

jcmp21, Aug 28, 7:09 pm

No. It gets lovely and warm, but not uncomfortably hot. If you find it too hot, turn your water down, it's hotter than necessary.

astrophe, Aug 28, 7:09 pm

Put one on new shower 17months ago. We always wipe down walls of shower and its doors, before we get out. Everything stays fresh and sweet.
Long handled fluffy brush cleans top easily. Bathroom still looks like new.
Delighted.

madzwhippet, Aug 28, 7:16 pm

That's right, by raising the temperature you will see less steam, at the time. But when it cools down again that water vapour will condense on the walls etc just the same.

ronaldo8, Aug 28, 7:45 pm

You should also note that if you add a shower dome to a new shower, the shower manufacturer will not provide you with a warranty on the shower because you have modified their product. The shower dome people will never tell you that though.

You're much better off to install a high quality extractor fan.

nzmaximus, Aug 29, 1:19 pm

Where on earth did you hear that trash?

The showerdome installation does not modify your shower in any way. It simply sits on top.

astrophe, Aug 29, 3:35 pm

Only installed by people who like the smell of their own farts.

sifty, Aug 29, 3:45 pm

one of partners family had one installed in bathroom that was internal with fans & extraction. Before the shower dome the whole bathroom would get steamy & getting mouldy because it was such a wet area. since the shower dome the bathroom is a lot drier & what escapes the fan gets. is very happy with result.

our shower a toilet sized room but after using, we make sure the door is left open to air it.

urbanrefugee54, Aug 29, 4:06 pm

Farting is a decision. You could always . not fart in the shower. ?

astrophe, Aug 29, 7:28 pm

We used an advertising sign from placemakers as it's larger than your average real estate sign. Not sure what you call that light weight plastic stuff.

femster, Aug 31, 7:57 am

My husband hated it being so hot at first---until he worked out to do exactly that. Saves on hot water too.

kacy5, Aug 31, 11:15 am

Makes me wonder how hot some people have it. I like a good hot shower sometimes. Real hot. But I never feel like it's a sauna in my shower dome. Weird.

astrophe, Aug 31, 11:43 am

Maybe I can make a 'super' shower dome to go over my bath as our bath and shower are integral.

tygertung, Aug 31, 11:51 am

It's fact. Adding the shower dome modifies the product and therefore voids the shower warranty.

nzmaximus, Sep 2, 11:08 am

Well, it's just not. In what way does it modify the product? It simply sits on top. Yours must've been installed wrong.

Please, elaborate - what IS this modification that is done?

astrophe, Sep 2, 7:02 pm

I'm guessing there's 2 reasons for the dome shape.

1) Any condensation that forms as the steam moves to the top of the dome is likely to then run down the sides of the dome until it meets the flat part of the shower domes roof, and then drip on to the shower tray underneath. Less condensation getting to the shower walls and corners this way than if you just had a flat piece of plastic on top of the shower.

2) Most showers are around 1.9-2.0 metres high. The shower dome gives another 20cm or so of room, so if you stretch your arms upwards while showering you're less likely to smack the shower dome with your hands, compared to if it was just a flat piece of plastic.

kevin.b, Sep 2, 10:42 pm

We had a showerdome put into a rental we were living in. The owner did this when we had been in there about 6 months and the difference it made was noticeable straight away. Almost no moisture outside the shower after we were done, and the inside of the shower stayed warmer.(Didn't need to turn the shower-rose around as much.)

As for any musty smell, we were told that when you'd finished you must leave the shower doors shut until the steam had condensated out, at which point you need to open the shower doors to let the shower 'breath' again. We never had any problems doing it that way.

kevin.b, Sep 2, 10:53 pm

They are great. I've just re fitted our bathroom with a different shaped shower unit so the old dome doesn't fit now. Without it the steam is significant, showers are colder as the heat escapes and even a larger extractor fan doesn't cope with the steam. Well worth getting one. I'll be listing the old one soon.

sp00knblip, Sep 3, 7:51 am

I've never heard of a shower company honouring a warranty on a faulty shower anyway. They ALWAYS claim bad workmanship. The trouble is, to find out the problem you have to rip the shower apart so then you're in too deep to back out.

kerry22, Sep 3, 7:58 am

We have a shower dome plus fan ventilation. Works great !

jbsouthland, Sep 3, 7:59 am

This .

jbsouthland, Sep 3, 8:00 am

like that lol

belle34, May 18, 4:29 am

Share this thread