I hate being ripped off ! Page 1 / 2

seanpenn, Aug 15, 6:40am
I called into the local fish monger and bought some fish, just a fraction over a kilo, so I get home and weigh it on my kitchen scales and low and behold it's 100 grams under a kilo. So to check my scales are correct I weigh some butter and it's accurate.
I'm really irate because I go to this guy every week to buy fish and it's always fresh. What do I do as he's ripping people off !

dannyboy24, Aug 15, 7:30am
Which fishmonger mate? Name and shame! I sense something fishy is afoot. has he no "sole?" . i hope his business "flounders". he deserves to go for a "skate". are you sure he understood your order properly? He may have been hard of "herring". i have more.

lee289, Aug 15, 7:31am
Take your block of butter into him and test his then go from there

seanpenn, Aug 15, 8:49am
Without naming him as such, he's located in Sydenham on a major street that's quite long! It's the principle of the matter which bugs me!

stojo, Aug 15, 9:03am
did you include the weight of the container?

digga7, Aug 15, 9:43am
Did you include the dehydration factor between the time he took it off his ice till the time you got home?

seanpenn, Aug 15, 9:06pm
I don't know what you mean by the dehydration factor. A bag of fish doesn't change in weight from the time he weighs it till I weigh it 5 mins later.

urbanrefugee54, Aug 15, 9:09pm
I had thought that any scales used to sell goods had to be calibrated & have a metal tag on them saying when they were last. isn't it Ministry of Primary Industries you contact?

treecave, Aug 15, 9:15pm
100g less to every customer. nice little earner for him by the end of the day. what a scam. wouldn't do anything this time. could be a mistake but if it happens again I would say or do something

captaingraham, Aug 15, 9:47pm
His scales are right, yours are wrong.

tygertung, Aug 16, 12:36am
My wife and I often shop at the fishmonger opposite the funky pumpkin on Colombo street. I hope he gets his scales calibrated soon!

schnauzer11, Aug 16, 1:07am
Yep-we only ever buy fish from What a Catch in Wordsworth. Fresh off the boats, and an amazing selection.I avoid the shop you speak of.

gman35, Aug 16, 1:21am
"What you do" is take that same block of butter in to him and see what his scales read. And whether they have or have not been calibrated recently, but are reading incorrectly 10%ish high still, I would simply say that he needs to give you a reasonable quantity of fish at no charge to "cover" for the previous times that you have also probably been short-sold.
Asking for this (in a pleasant enough way) & telling him that you will be checking next time also to check things are now correct should get things sorted.

jcmp21, Aug 16, 1:26am
:D

mss2006, Aug 16, 3:14am
So if I only want some fish weighing 100g or less I assume it would be free from this vendor?

fineo, Aug 16, 5:23am

dannyboy24, Aug 16, 10:25pm
There's no "Plaice" for this sort of ratbaggery in the fishmongering industry .

jcmp21, Aug 16, 10:27pm
This could be occurring on a larger "scale" than we know

jcmp21, Aug 16, 10:30pm
Then again, he may not have done it on "porpoise"

coffeeone, Aug 16, 11:54pm
OH MY COD!. well at least he's not accused of being a grouper

jcmp21, Aug 16, 11:57pm
I can see how someone could be a little green around the "gills" after finding out they have been ripped off.

dannyboy24, Aug 17, 12:14am
Shoulda been more vigilant. as they say "caviar emptor".

jcmp21, Aug 17, 12:43am
I'm sure if you confront him all that will happen is he will get "crabby" and the case against him will "flounder" as the scales could be fixed as soon as he is aware they're attempting to "reel him in"

jonners2013, Aug 17, 4:05am
sounds like the guy is a real shark.

jcmp21, Aug 17, 4:24am
If word gets out about this, this guys shop would be "fin"ished

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)