Window Washers @ Intersections.

The Christchurch Police has been collecting numerous complaints about the abusive window washers and sent them all to the CCC, now the City Police said that they have been instructed by the City Council to charge the window washers under a bylaw. And the Christchurch FB page says that you can call 111 if you see them on the intersections as they really want to stamp them out.

So if you see them out, call 111.

xmakara, Jul 10, 3:33 am

the guy on Blenheim/curletts road was never nasty

slimgym, Jul 10, 4:25 am

I've seen the odd one who is determined to wash your window no matter what you say, but I've never seen one who is abusive. Sure they're annoying if the hold up traffic but are they really causing the sort of trouble that warrants calling the emergency assistance number? What a complete waste of the emergency hotline.

jonners2013, Jul 10, 6:07 am

I keep my cars immaculate and clean. I do not like anyone touching them.
If a window guy ever tried to touch mine he would probably have to call the police on me. Same goes with those scum bags who put flyers under my car window wipers.

survivalkiwi, Jul 10, 6:35 am

Good. Intersections are places for traffic to move through - not for people to conduct business.

puddles11, Jul 10, 7:49 am

The Waltham rd / Moorhouse ave corner is terrible

jon9, Jul 10, 8:15 am

Here you go. I think this will be of benefit to you;

http://www.thewellnessdirectory.co.nz/ailment/anger-management

jonners2013, Jul 10, 8:16 am

Get rid of them.

foamyone, Jul 10, 11:08 am

Sober. He did time for assault, including one very famous incident that made the news. I believe he is locked up at the moment, which is why he isn't scamming the benefit system currently.

jett.industries, Jul 10, 12:51 pm

Saw a nasty little crew up by Eastgate the other evening. 4 sitting drinking, 2 with the screen wipers at the intersection. Boy did they move when a police car came past - they all looked under age for drinking.

jett.industries, Jul 10, 12:52 pm

We rang 111 for an incident at work last week. Cops arrived next morning.
So dont hold your breathe. Personally I would hope cops have more important things to do. Although I cant think what it is.they do.

gillian25, Jul 10, 6:54 pm

He did a good job of knockin capel over

tool_shop173, Jul 10, 8:28 pm

Yes he did.

jett.industries, Jul 10, 8:28 pm

tool_shop173, Jul 10, 8:34 pm

I could watch that over and over

tool_shop173, Jul 10, 8:34 pm

It was well deserved

jett.industries, Jul 10, 8:39 pm

Its a shame these people cant get the help they need isnt it.? Instead of being thrown in jail and coming out even worse off, After all we live in a Rock Star economy . Cant figure out how we have one of the biggest drug and alcohol and Mental Illness problems in the Western World. Must have something to do with the govt Priority's being wrong. What does everyone think? I know where I would rather invest my taxes.

gillian25, Jul 10, 10:56 pm

Probably more like poor life choices but still there are easier ways to get a job. As others have said many of these people are well underage so should be in school anyway, where are the parents? I often see them smoking too

hayster94, Jul 10, 11:34 pm

At leas they are working hard to do a job washing windows at intersections. Entrepreneurial types.

tygertung, Jul 11, 6:24 am

- Hi, can you link to the FB page where you saw police saying call 111?

brittanyskye13, Jul 11, 10:03 am

you know in some ways i think good on them at least they are doing something . better than sitting outside burger king with a notice saying homeless and struggling please help God bless, which I saw a few weeks ago down Moorehouse Ave

usualsuspect, Jul 11, 5:29 pm

And what was the incident . ?

astrophe, Jul 11, 6:06 pm

serious assault.

gillian25, Jul 11, 6:49 pm

In other words you have no idea

cmscott111, Jul 11, 7:40 pm

Used to see that in London a lot. Cigarette in one hand, can of beer in the other, had cardboard notices asking for money and a hat to throw it in as their hands were full.

jett.industries, Jul 12, 9:50 am

its because theres no jobs.

mephismeltdown, Jul 12, 10:44 am

I saw him getting arrested a couple of months back, didn't appear to be doing anything wrong, then again you don't really have to be to be arrested in CHCH.

Looks a lot different to what he did back in the day during the Capill incident

jcmp21, Jul 12, 11:38 am

Should have said the offenders warrant and rego had expired. That's a P1 and would have had a swift appearance then.

jcmp21, Jul 12, 11:40 am

NO. More like an illness. 'Choice' doesn't enter into it.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2811%2961358-5/fulltext?elsca1=ETOC-LANCET&elsca2=email&elsca3=segment 'Addiction: a complex disorder
The Lancet
Addiction is often misunderstood and stigmatised by the public and doctors alike, and, as a result, is often undertreated.

Last week, the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) released a definition of addiction that supports the latter model, which states that: ?????Ĥaddiction is a chronic brain disorder and not simply a behavioural problem involving too much alcohol, drugs,
.gambling or sex???

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/info2/a/aa022697.htm

"One of the difficulties in recognizing alcoholism as a disease is it just plain doesn't seem like one. It doesn't look, sound, smell and it certainly doesn't act like a disease. To make matters worse, generally it denies it exists and resists treatment.

Alcoholism has been recognized for many years by professional medical organizations as a primary, chronic, progressive and sometimes fatal disease.'

Help,in the form of rehab is what's needed rather than condemnation.

cronezone, Jul 12, 1:24 pm

I almost ran over one on the other while cycling down watham bridge. The dangers to everyone else.

dolphinlu, Jul 12, 2:21 pm

why blame the government. people have their OWN choices. too many free hand outs is 1/2 the problem. then again in this gods own country ITS ingrained into some people that they can live for free off the govt and tax payers. and their off spring grow up believing the same. but then again it keeps do gooders employed . getting way over the top govt salaries. depends which side of the fence you live on.

ozz1, Jul 12, 2:58 pm

Probably warrants out for him. I am pretty sure he is banged up at the moment so he did something a little more than wash windscreens

jett.industries, Jul 12, 3:16 pm

A few weeks ago there were about 5 guys at the lights on Stanmore Road washing windows. I had my blind hubby in the car in the passengers side and when this guy started to walk to the car,I put my hand up and said no thanks but he didn't listen and kept approaching the car. He walked to the passengers side and gave my hubby an awful fright. I told him not to do it and he kept saying he was just emptying his bottle and became quite abusive when I had to repeat no several more times. He gave me the fingers and walked away shouting abuse and left me with a very dirty window so don't know what was in his bottle.

ricford1, Jul 13, 1:32 pm

I figured it was becasue he was standing on the island on Blenheim Road. I actually talked to him about a week before, but that was in Hornby at the KFC intersection (Carmen Road?). He seemed a nice enough bloke and chatty etc.

jcmp21, Jul 13, 4:09 pm

He was always pleasant sober

jett.industries, Jul 13, 6:23 pm

ozz1. read cronezones post and educate yourself.

gillian25, Jul 13, 6:55 pm

Nothing wrong with their post.

jcmp21, Jul 13, 7:04 pm

Ive known him & his bro for years.
They are both rough diamonds who battle with addiction. The one who washes windows was a talented amateur boxer in his younger days.

strats5, Jul 14, 11:05 am

There is one good thing about these young fellas being on the streets washing windows.Whilst they are there they are not ripping anyones house off or getting into mischief!

rollydog1, Jul 14, 1:27 pm

Nobodys house. maybe. But they sure are ripping off the petrol stations

-weasel-, Jul 14, 3:13 pm

Yes, why isn't the govt micro managing these people.

bligh, Jul 14, 3:22 pm

yep, they never show this slow response on Police Ten 7.

klc1, Jul 14, 7:58 pm

one of the window washers got hit by a truck on the linwood ave by McDs he was in a serious condition by the time the ambos arrived ( that's what happens when its a green light and they are standing in a line of traffic )

brokebloke1, Jul 19, 5:06 pm

Surprised it hasn't happened already, to be honest

zoopa, Jul 19, 7:35 pm

It's only fopr a short time, until the pests are swept off the streets

martiantripod, Jul 20, 2:30 am

Exactly. for this reason I'm surprised they're allowed to do what they do

foamyone, Jul 20, 7:27 am

So im aloud to drive and use my phone @ intetrsection now

bosch2006, Jul 21, 8:42 am

Not cool. Shame you didn't have a big dog curled up in the front seat instead of hubby. Hope hubby was ok.

I had one do my windows after telling him no. Stanmore Rd too. I put my wipers on before he could finish, and he said something derogatory.

I bet whatever they put in the bottle is the shittiest cheapest dish wash they can find, or whatever they steal. It certainly wont be something suitable for cars, taking into account the effects whatever said cleaning agent will have on rubber and paint.

Its like they think they are doing every one a huge favour, and, and we should all be grateful, and the take umbrage if they are not. I am all up for people taking initiative and earning some coin, but there is a certain level of respect these guys just don't seem to have.

zoopa, Jul 21, 10:20 am

They do that at night when the traffic thins out.

flopsie, Dec 6, 2:10 am

Share this thread