Are we having a Tsunami siren practise?

Live out north canterbury and can hear the tsunami sirens and warnings going off, hoping its just a test practise, can anyone elaborate, or should we get the hell out of dodge lol.

narnies, Jun 13, 7:17 pm

Was talking to in laws at karaki and it went off.were told to leave camp

gime6569, Jun 13, 7:20 pm

Nothing on geonet

foal30, Jun 13, 7:27 pm

foal30 wrote:
Nothing on geonet[/quote

yes well I havent heard of any major quakes so am guessing it is some kind of test.

narnies, Jun 13, 7:30 pm

Narnies where r u

gime6569, Jun 13, 7:31 pm

salt water creek, sefton

narnies, Jun 13, 7:32 pm

crap its going off agian

narnies, Jun 13, 7:33 pm

We r in akaroa at the moment but my in laws live at karaki motor camp

gime6569, Jun 13, 7:40 pm

We saltwater creek too and heard it , I cant find anything on civil defence site or anything

shell37, Jun 13, 7:43 pm

No me neither, would have been nice if they could have let us know their intentions of testing it, will just sit here and wait my fate I guess!

narnies, Jun 13, 7:48 pm

The Waimakariri District Council website says its a Tsunami Alert Exercise 12/6 from 9 am to 10 pm, Woodend, Waikuku and Pines Beaches etc.

andy61, Jun 13, 7:48 pm

My friend just said there's a evacuation practice out kaiapoi woodend way

gime6569, Jun 13, 7:48 pm

Ok thanks andy61 :)
I will continue with what I was doing now lol

shell37, Jun 13, 7:50 pm

thanks andy61

narnies, Jun 13, 7:52 pm

Evacuation is voluntary, despite the stupid speaker message saying "YOU are ordered to go, it is not a practice".
I just drove thru cordon bought some whiskey and drove back, was stopped at checkpoint, but was fine to continue home.

gpg58, Jun 13, 7:53 pm

I can't see how effective these sirens are going to be if every time they go off people assume that it is a practice!

tygertung, Jun 14, 11:37 am

Great. So simply BY testing it, they actually MAKE the system useless.

When there's a real need for it, people will sit around wondering "Is this a test" and stay put.

astrophe, Jun 9, 3:06 am

Share this thread