Woman wanting ride to Woodend (Scam?)

Wife was approached Thursday evening in Papanui by a druggie type lady (mid 30's, short, skinny black haired, scruffy, wearing track pants) saying her "partner and I have just had a fight and would you give me a lift home to Woodend".

A guy signaled wildly to ignore her from across the street and she just gave random excuses when wife pressed her for more details and suggested she call police to help. She then carried on trying with others.

Didn't ask for money to get home, was an obvious scam though but I can't work out why ask for a ride? Anyone?

bigbadfun, May 16, 4:38 pm

Sounds quite a bit like that female beggar who lives in Kaiapoi and buses to any of the malls in town during the day saying that her and her partner have had an argument and she needs money to bus to Rangiora. Avoid at all costs!

doggybear, May 16, 4:53 pm

sounds like she just wanted a ride

bosch2006, May 16, 5:03 pm

Cheers DB, yeah, figured she might be angling for the cash - wife probably cut her off before she got that far. She does that. Often. :)

bigbadfun, May 16, 5:03 pm

Possibly the ride ruse is to get you into a remote area where she pulls the knife (or whatever) and attacks you, steals your car.

astrophe, May 16, 7:48 pm

She can't be very good at it then - have seen nothing in the papers.

junie2, May 16, 7:59 pm

Why would you expect to? People get robbed all the time. It doesn't make the papers.

astrophe, May 16, 8:11 pm

Ha ha. What a clown you are

kerry22, May 17, 4:25 pm

Crap, our neighbour was robbed and that didn't make the papers.

gymee1, May 17, 4:47 pm

She can turn very nasty if told you know shes a scam. She haunted the Central City for a couple of months until after a number of complaints the Police caught up with her. Havent seen her for about 6 weeks

shannie1998, May 17, 5:00 pm

She's being trying the same old sob story for years.

mikew, May 17, 5:01 pm

I tell people like that to walk and a woman on a bike I told to ride.

cassina1, May 17, 5:22 pm

was approached by a youngish woman at northlands tonight, saying she had had fight with her boyfriend and need money to get a bus back to woodend. She had a hat on, and didn't seem too scruffy, but she had an answer to everything. No good ringing someone for her, she didn't know anyone. , etc. Had to catch 2 buses, so needed about ten dollars. My DIL was soft hearted and gave her eight dollars which was all she had, but is this the same lady? perhaps. Wouldn't go into the mall either, was out by the carpark. Is it even two buses, I thought it was only one from there to woodend

stillwaters, Jun 12, 9:52 pm

If someone asked you for help, would you turn them away? I often give people for the bus. Maybe they need the money for other things but if they are in such a bad position that they're asking for help, I am not so hard hearted that I would turn them away. This is with exception for that guy at Church Corner who keeps asking for petrol money for his car- aparently it ran out. Best thing to do would be to sell it and buy a bicycle with the proceeds. No need for petrol there. That's what I do.

tygertung, Jun 13, 6:25 am

Obviously still working for her, so that's why she does it.
She's a scam.

mikew, Jun 13, 6:43 am

tygertung wrote:
If someone asked you for help, would you turn them away? I often give people for the bus. Maybe they need the money for other things but if they are in such a bad position that they're asking for help, I am not so hard hearted that I would turn them away. This is with exception for that guy at Church Corner who keeps asking for petrol money for his car- aparently it ran out. Best thing to do would be to sell it and buy a bicycle with the proceeds. No need for petrol there. That's what I do.[/qu
I am happy to help anyone in need too, but don't want to support someones. habit. It is sad that its so hard to know if its genuine because of the scams.

stillwaters, Jun 13, 12:37 pm

these scammers and beggers infest Auckland.
Telling them to have a bath (a novel experience for them) get a job like the rest of us have to do usually shows their true colours with an interesting range of swearwords.
It is a shame as it ruins the generosity that kiwis used to be famous for

geoff_m, Jun 14, 8:35 am

same woman I posted about- link above. She has terrible teeth. Often has a kiddie in tow. Police are after her.

si50, Jun 14, 5:18 pm

She was at countdown moorhouse last Friday night.

lesleyd3, Jun 14, 5:52 pm

and according to a poster, apparently further to the sob story, she lures people into the wilderness, attacks them with a knife and then steals their stuff. It's all kept quiet somehow, so she keeps getting away with it, and I guess without bodies, it's a bit hard to do much about.

jcmp21, Jun 14, 7:20 pm

She was at Westmeats 2 weeks ago wanting a lift over the motorway and money this lady had a toddler in a backpack I rang the police and they sent a patrol car out to see her by that time she was heading to Countdown Churchcorner.

bubbamumma, May 29, 2:12 am

Share this thread