Beachgrove?

What do you think of the new Beachgrove subdivision? Every house looks the same!

jou500, Jul 28, 10:03 pm

a haven for conformists?

lambrat, Jul 28, 10:16 pm

The slum of the future

captaingraham, Jul 29, 8:29 am

Most of them do don't they? Or variations of a few basic designs, usually built en mass by the same company.

Bring the yurt into fashion I say

zoopa, Jul 29, 9:49 am

its all built on very muddy ground. if you buy ,buy a row boat too row home next time.

grad111, Jul 29, 6:54 pm

Where the hell is 'Beachgrove'?

samanya, Jul 29, 7:19 pm

Haven't been down Beach road for a long time and got the shock of my life seeing the subdivision. Butt bloody ugly if you ask me.

mousiemousie, Jul 29, 7:25 pm

They're awful. Soooo crammed in together

dannyboy24, Jul 29, 8:52 pm

Drove passed in the weekend - looked awful.

chatsmom, Jul 29, 9:03 pm

What the hell are you all complaining about? Is it built on a previously scenic wonderland? It's a subdivision and they're always pretty tragic. I thought Christchurch needed new, low cost housing and I presume that's what it is. I haven't seen it nor do I care because I won't be buying there and apparently none of you will be either.

aphra1, Jul 29, 9:19 pm

Settle down aphra .Maybe take a looksie to back up your rant first

dannyboy24, Jul 30, 6:49 am

Beach rd, kaiapoi, you would think there would be economics of scale in making homes basically the same, but these are not low cost to the purchaser, and built on a flood prone area too.

indigojo, Jul 30, 7:28 am

a lot a bought then rented out, used as investment property.will be good to see how they look in ten years?

kids4ever, Jul 31, 4:51 pm

Oh :( I thought it looked quite nice. Looking to move out of Brighton as I still get "Anxiety" at every sudden noise and thought that moving there might help to alleviate some of that. Is it flood prone ?

gregjo, Aug 5, 5:16 pm

According to Google, it's basically exactly where a mate's house was that was completely destroyed. I wouldn't build there if it was free.

astrophe, Aug 5, 6:25 pm

Kaiapoi, Beach rd, headingtowards Pines Beach, they are so close together

kids4ever, Aug 5, 6:26 pm

Thanks.

samanya, Aug 5, 6:53 pm

So what we can understand from this thread is that
A .Beachgrove is very over priced.
Or B Everyone can afford to buy a 10 acre block and build and architectural house.
Why do people rubbish cheap housing or communities when at the same time people are moaning about the high cost of housing in NZ

survivalkiwi, Aug 5, 7:41 pm

I really think it is up to the individual to what they want.I think the prices are reasonable, I personally wouldn't live there as the houses are too close together, but to me the subdivision is OK, i don't completely rubbish them but good for working people, not too much ground, and if it's what one wants, well why not, some nice places, be good for an investment and rent out

kids4ever, Aug 5, 8:10 pm

Hasn't beachgrove been built around a communal field as they do in other countries. I did a bit of work out there and thought it was ok. There are identical apartment blocks in Northwood, they are not slums.

ryanm2, Aug 5, 8:36 pm

It looks perfect for us now that the kids have left home. Low Maintenance, modern, not too much garden and close to amenities, beach and countryside. It's relatively affordable and ticks all my boxes. Out of all the subdivisions we've looked at, from Hallswell, Wigram Skies to Silverstream this is my favourite by far.

gregjo, Aug 6, 11:14 am

Maybe the problem is cheap housing being overpriced.

cassina1, Aug 6, 1:43 pm

Diff'rent people.

astrophe, Aug 7, 5:56 pm

We live over the road, so our property backs onto Beach Road. There is NO way that I would live over there. I call it modern day version of Coronation Street. People who want to sell property there would tell you it wont flood to what comment I say whatever!

sharonann1, Aug 9, 1:44 pm

I would stay away from Silverstream, people who buy there don't seem to stay long I wonder why.

sharonann1, Aug 9, 1:45 pm

Beach Grove land was a cow paddock before the built the sub division!

sharonann1, Aug 9, 1:47 pm

If I was looking at buying in a new subdivision I would now look at Rangiora. In time to come it will be a great place, once Farmers is opened there is everything you would need out there. Also a great bus service into town for people who don't drive. Well worth considering.

sharonann1, Aug 9, 1:52 pm

We considered Rangiora but ultimately chose Rolleston. Everything is else out here but more modern. If its not here its at Hornby which is only 10 min drive away.

ryanm2, Aug 9, 2:34 pm

I would imagine most subdivisions were a cow paddock (or sheep or horses or whatever) before it was sold for housing don't you?

supersapper, Aug 9, 4:08 pm

Our place was and still is. We just fenced off part of a paddock, a bit wet some years but the ground is safe and the house stays dry.

kacy5, Aug 9, 5:51 pm

Thanks sharonanne1. It's good to hear feedback from someone very local. I didn't like the look of Silverstream at all but do like Beachgrove for the location etc. Will check out Rangiora too but it may be too far from work

gregjo, Aug 10, 2:06 pm

Eastgate was a horse paddock. Yes, I do remember

zoopa, Aug 10, 2:18 pm

From Mrs GarryNZ. Anywhere can become a "slum" if attitudes aren't towards building a community, a good mix of incomes and ages ages, facilities close by and value for money not "cheap" for cheap's sake housing. rebuild of CHCH saddens me a lot as I am seeing lots of people having to accept whatever the big build housing firms. CERA, Fletchers and CO! give them rather than these companies being 'statesperson' like looking a long term, good value and not loosing the community spirit that so many areas like Avonside, Brookland ( see today's paper) http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/70875225/brooklands-the-town-the-government-couldnt-kill. hope this is true! etc etc etc had pre-quakes.

garrynz, Aug 10, 2:33 pm

From Mrs GarryNZ. Anywhere can become a "slum" if attitudes aren't towards building a community, a good mix of incomes and ages, facilities close by and value for money not "cheap" for cheap's sake housing. rebuild of CHCH saddens me a lot as I am seeing lots of people having to accept whatever the big build housing firms. CERA, Fletchers and CO! give them rather than these companies being 'statesperson' like looking a long term, good value and not loosing the community spirit that so many areas like Avonside, Brookland ( see today's paper) http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/70875225/brooklands-the-town-the-government-couldnt-kill. hope this is true! etc etc etc had pre-quakes.

garrynz, Aug 10, 3:15 pm

well I drive past this sub division every day. Just look at the amount of four sale signs up and you will see how well the subdivision is going. Also some that have been sold are already back on the market.

bubbleburp, Aug 11, 10:18 am

You will find that in any new subdivision.
Builders buying up sections, building then selling, speculators doing the same. Probably just more noticable now because of high demand for housing.
If I remember correctly, Pegasus pre development sections were as low as 50-60k then jumped to 100k. Now I think the lowest are not that much under 200k. Not bad for an 8 year investment just in the land.

rover79, Aug 11, 11:48 am

Just over a year ago I looked at Wigram, Sovereign Palms, Silverstream, and Pegasus. I ended up buying in Pegasus for a few reasons - I wanted a new house already completed (not many available) - more green spaces to walk the dog, considerably more - Wigram the sections were a bit big for me, and you pay more for land I thought I didn't need. After buying in Pegasus I saw a cute place in Beachgrove, and had I seen it prior it may have been hard to choose, but I just went into Beachgrove again on Saturday, and I am very relieved I didn't see it earlier and buy in there. I think it would be great for retired couples, but the moistness of the ground would concern me. Same with Silverstream, last winter it flooded. So now I feel that I not only made the right decision for the dog, but also for me. I love Pegasus. As to the pricing, I think it is affordable living in all of these areas. We need to learn to live where we can afford.

rocklover, Sep 9, 3:15 am

Share this thread