House building company recommendations please

Getting some plans drawn up by a architectural designer ( floor plan and elevations) so we can give to a few builder companies to price up. It going to be a regular spec weatherboard house (210 ish sqm) so really interested in getting feedback to try find a great building company in terms of quality and timeframes.
(Using a architectural designer so we can farm plans out to different companies without infringing copyright, incase u were wondering why)

dazza401, Jul 17, 2:28 pm

Having had a couple of friends build places in the last year I would NOT recommend Stonewood unless you want a slow long build.
Have heard good things however about Mike Greer and Jennian.

kathy9, Jul 17, 5:30 pm

i know a few who used Stonewood homes and they are very pleased with them, so i wouldn't dismiss trying them, GJ Gardenier are suppose to be very good

kids4ever, Jul 17, 6:14 pm

Try JD Homes. Jessie has a good rep.
Avoid the big group house assemblers - SW, MG, & in particular GH.

david_270, Jul 17, 7:08 pm

AJ Scott did a great job on our repair. http://www.ajscott.co.nz/

kiwicoops, Jul 17, 7:58 pm

A friend had Phil Benton Builders, and totally rated them, couldn't fault them at all.

donkey007, Jul 17, 8:21 pm

Milestone homes turn their homes around pretty quick and are well built.

corkranb, Jul 17, 8:49 pm

Try Home Trends Builders - I know they do a great job

tigger250, Jul 18, 11:06 am

From friends who have built avoid large franchise home builders esp in current climate with so many struggling to meet deadlines and overpromising. We used http://www.paulmcstaybuilders.co.nz as did my mum twice. Friends are also about to start their build with them. They don't need to advertise and don't have show homes or salespeople - just good builders!

jane310567, Jul 18, 4:15 pm

Holloway Builders

zoopa, Jul 18, 6:26 pm

Avoid Trenz Homes, house so over budget I probably will have to sell, house not finished, absolute mess left and he took legal action to get money for completion and sent the bank a bill for code of compliance complete when it failed. I did not get my deck and unlikely to now due to budget blowouts.

chrisalis, Jul 18, 9:01 pm

zoopa wrote:
Holloway Builders[/quote
My mates with Holloway builders on a insurance repair that was meant to be finished late 2014 & they still are paying to live elsewhere .
He reckons they have taken too much work on & are hopeless .

finn19, Jul 19, 8:42 am

this is good advice (can't personally vouch for JD homes but certainly theres better options than the housing companys. I've done subbie work for most of them)

dannyboy24, Jul 19, 9:46 am

double agree

chchearthquake, Jul 19, 9:49 am

you want a great builder go with "Wayne Murray Builders " workmanship is outstanding and when they promise it will be finished it will be.
Another great builder is Wayne from " Northend builders " he is based out at Rangiora.

brokebloke1, Jul 19, 4:56 pm

What about Compass Homes?

bandit101, Jul 19, 8:02 pm

just be a bit careful of companies that haven't been around that long too.

jane310567, Jul 19, 8:42 pm

Chris Sinclair Builders -did major repairs on my home -a team of staff all trade qualified and a set group of sub contractors who were always on time -if they were just half a day late they got a wind up from Sinclair's Works manager
Really tidy -I get a huge shock when I walked in on the second day and there were no wall or celling linings in my house.
Not a scrap of rubbish outside to indicate such "things" had been happening. amazing after repair clean up
I nominated them by the way .because they are a well known local family company
I am on a mission to push the insurance company to contract Sinclair's to do my light commercial rebuild claim-

cloffie, Dec 16, 2:19 am

Share this thread