Dalziel admits she let the East down

jcmp21, May 25, 6:32 pm

Now she's cried about it, let's hope she does something.

100peaks, May 25, 6:44 pm

Gerry and his klingons Nicki & Amy have let the whole city down.

david_270, May 25, 7:00 pm

she never let the east down. successive councils over last 20 years have let the east down.

kerry22, May 25, 7:09 pm

I agree with you Kerry. I lived in the east for 37yrs & watched it become more run down each year. The councils were always promising to do things & never did . the earthquakes finished off the area & still nothing has been done. The damage done was horrendous compared to the north-West. I was in Brighton when it struck & it is only in the last year or so that some rebuilding is taking place, Shocking.

anjouc, May 25, 8:33 pm

I'm not sure what the Council could be expected to do. They weren't the ones behind fundamental economic reforms which slammed the working class and turned the concept of home-ownership from having a roof over your head into what is has become today.
Throwing millions into street beautification projects and new gold-plated facilities won't make an iota of difference.
One thing which could make a huge difference would be abandoning plans to "remediate" the red-zones for future sale, then using that land for something more appropriate to the geology. The river itself is one of Chch greatest assets - basically neglected except for a short stretch in the CBD.

mm12345, May 25, 9:21 pm

Drove past Woolston the other day.

It's changed a lot. Looking pretty good, at least on Ferry Road where the shops are.

foamyone, May 26, 12:45 am

She could have arrived at a decision regarding rebuild of QE2 a long time ago, but where has she been?

On long rate payer funded holidays. The Mayor has left the East and Poto high and dry, knew this would be a disaster from Day #1.

jerry1018, May 26, 12:49 am

Its a bit harsh to blame just Lianne. That trougher Vicki Buck deserves booting out - she left the city in record debt when she was mayor and its never recovered. I don't know why the hell she was re-elected as she's doing it all over again with her pet project spends.

drcjp, May 26, 3:05 am

Anyone read the comments with the Stuff article? Most of us with more than 2 brain cells can see these are crocodile tears.

Maybe if she has any sense at all won't be seeking re-election?

jerry1018, May 26, 3:21 am

Woolston is looking good Foamyone. The place to invest in the east for those lucky enough to have the means. New Brighton will be a flash place in years to come. It's just going to take time.one house at a time.one street at a time

alkimos, May 26, 3:41 am

Woolston rules! Well it will do when all the road works are finished. I wish we could clean up the river though - and I miss the scaups, which I haven't seen in the same numbers since the quakes - possibly as the Heathcote is shallower.

mm12345 - interesting, what ideas do you have for the red Zone and the river?

calista, May 26, 3:55 am

What, then back down to the one huge income instead of the two?

jcmp21, May 26, 6:11 am

The East got all the headlines, when she was attacking Parker.

bligh, May 26, 6:45 pm

True Bligh. I remember also.

morganville, May 26, 7:14 pm

Yep and the rentamob cheered every attack, yet where are they now?

jcmp21, May 27, 6:13 am

That's all the East got, now it's a forgotten wasteland - so glaaaadddd we elected this joke.

It's OK, the CCC plans to lift it's game, at least according to the Dr Fix It All:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/68839640/christchurch-city-council-boss-promises-improvements

jerry1018, Aug 22, 3:38 pm

Share this thread