Native trees and frost on the roads and footpaths.

15 years ago there were pines on the corner of Panorama Road and Clifton Terrace. The council came along and chopped them down. They replaced them with Natives. When the pines were there we never got frost on the footpath or road because the air was always moving and the sun could evaporate the moisture. Now the road and path is often frosty all day because the natives have all their leaves and prevent the natural wind flow and prevent the sun melting the ice. Planners need to take this into account when planting bush. People can get hurt slipping on ice and cars do skid.Can this area please be thinned out. Safety first

bandit101, Jul 14, 8:35 am

Have you rung the Council?

calista, Jul 14, 7:56 pm

I am going to. I feel we need to develop a policy on planting as it can be very disruptive.

bandit101, Jul 14, 8:47 pm

Are not pines evergreen also?

tygertung, Jul 15, 6:08 am

Yes but they allow air. Movement and are not dense

stocky2, Jul 15, 7:07 am

Certainly this may be a consideration, but perhaps native trees are native to this environment and may be more suited to the conditions and are more appropriate to local heritage?

tygertung, Jul 15, 6:40 pm

Start your own saftey police business

bosch2006, Jul 15, 11:51 pm

CCC in their wisdom planted flax bushes at intersections and roundabouts. Now they are mature, they're removing them as they obstruct the view. CCC must be employing a Noddy in the landscaping department.

wanderer52, Jul 16, 12:31 pm

What about heritage to the commonwealth? we should plant some Willows or something

stojo, Jul 16, 12:56 pm

You cannot beat Poplars looking graceful. They use to be by the Centennal pool and Oxford Gorge

bandit101, Jul 16, 8:27 pm

I've noticed different types of trees provide different temperature control.

Walking on a freezing morning past a stand of fir trees, for example, the air is noticeably warmer, and there's no dew or frost underfoot.
Natives (most) don't seem to provide the same effect. Nowhere near it, if at all.

I'd say it's less to do with air movement (although that may be part of it) and more to do with the tree itself.

mark.52, Jul 16, 8:33 pm

Mrs B here. Did a paper in Horticulture and yes, it is the policy of most councils to replace and "regenerate" where possible with natives. I guess you take the good with the bad. With pines you get unwanted seedlings everywhere and the mess of needles and cones, whereas with natives you get the return of the bush, the canopy, the native birdlife. Bugger about the footpaths. I suspect they don't prune. You could suggest it to the council. They may look into it if its a safety hazard.

brightlights60, Jul 18, 8:19 pm

When you go to places like Geraldine, Arrow Town, Fairlie you appreciate the variety and colour. Natives are generally singularly green

bandit101, Jul 19, 8:09 pm

They are not actually, there are so many different textures and colours all over the country, but I know what you mean. a few introduced colours are good too, especially in Autumn.

brightlights60, Jul 19, 8:24 pm

Sounds like you really don't like natives. I love them. Can't wait to rip out all my ugly camelias and replace them with harakeke & ti kouka

fimeister, Jul 19, 9:02 pm

I'm confused, pines never lose foliage either.What would it be like now if pines were still there? They're not exactly slow growing.

flopsie, Jul 21, 4:20 pm

Better natives than the dam drain blocking deciduous that this and previous councils insist on planting.

fineo, Jul 21, 4:46 pm

World wide many trees and shrubs that are not "native" are planted. Cannot see this fixation with flax and cabbage trees. What is wrong with a mix of native and exotic? Don't think we have a great many splendid natives anyway.

janbodean, Dec 4, 3:17 am

Share this thread