Rocket Lab , launching at Birdlings Flat .

Well , surprise surprise , not is all as it seems .

Ran into a cocky who is affected by the venture , and he told me some disturbing things .

John Key spent some time there a few months back , opening it from the sounds of it . this is before the effected neighbours were even consulted, with the consent process is still happening .

Seems Key , the CCC and others are pushing this through without any public consulation at all . Bob Parkers name was also mentioned

Its backed by US $$$ , NASA and Silicon Valley were mentioned. its Auckland based , and will see road traffic increase drastically .
The area is environmentally sensitive , yet someone has done the impact studies and concluded it "should" have minimal impact on widelife . this was done under the assumption the odd launch would happen , when plans reveal a push towards over 100 per year .

Forget planning to fish along that stretch of coast , security guards will be closing the beach and access road for hours at a time , with those times pinned down to a 5 day launch window .

A local farmer is pissed to say the least , he will be kept from his own land for extended periods , and with health and safety issues to consider , will find it near impossible to plan and instigate shearing etc . no mention of compensation .
Word is very few jobs will be created locally , with profits heading offshore , or at best , north .

We are being shafted once again .

golfaholic2, Aug 24, 5:17 pm

I wouldn't be too worried. They haven't launched anything yet that would scare a high flying bird. IMHO it has all the hallmarks of a hyped up fizzer.

cammey, Aug 24, 6:36 pm

How long until Dalzeil tries to sell it.

jcmp21, Aug 24, 6:51 pm

Land claim coming soon

fineo, Aug 24, 6:57 pm

Wait for all the tree huggers and nimbys to crawl out of the woodwork now someone has decided to do something innovative with that bit of godforsaken dirt.

moby, Aug 24, 7:04 pm

It would be fantastic for cycling if they tarsealed that whole spit. Will the rocket site at the tip of the spit, or the base ?

jefrys17, Aug 24, 7:09 pm

At least some one is finally going to do something useful along the narrow strip of wind blown shitty land and even though it has had a launching pad for rockets on it for many years it is now going to be developed into a major attraction .
Wonder if they will advertise launches like they do at Cape Canaveral and we can go and watch . Would be exciting to see .

martin11, Aug 24, 7:10 pm

It would martin , for the first few times , then it would become "meh"

The farmer cant drive fence posts for fear of disturbing Maori burial ground , he cant let his sheep roam into the environmentally protected areas , yet as soon as $$$ are involved its "who cares" from the powers overseeing those issues .

Screw the rights of the land owners huh .

If it was to create wealth and jobs for the region , and the land owners ALL compensated . the wildlife issues monitored and managed , and fire safety issues met , then sure . but this whole thing is being handled as is typical of a National Govt .

golfaholic2, Aug 24, 7:41 pm

About 8kms from the main road . so a few km's short of half way .

golfaholic2, Aug 24, 7:43 pm

ECan have already signed off on the project .
It's going to go ahead . these aint piddly fireworks , or university plebs playing with toys . they are launching satellites into space for the Yanks .

How long before spy satellites are sent up ? and we become a target for terrorists ?

golfaholic2, Aug 24, 7:47 pm

The site is creating about 200 jobs for the region and it is actually on land that required a coastal permit to occupy

martin11, Aug 24, 7:54 pm

Thats what they say. I think they will be lucky to get out of the backyard.

The best in the game are the Russians or the Indians. Chinese next, Yanks a distant glimmer of hope with Europe and the other also rans.

This project will be filed behind the Monty Python videos in the comedy section.

cammey, Aug 24, 8:00 pm

The project would and could be far better run along the coast a tad , south of Rakia , where it wouldn't impact but 1 farmer who could be compensated easily .
Access would be far easier .
You will find the jobs will be short lived on the whole . that figure would be via some creative accounting

golfaholic2, Aug 24, 8:01 pm

I seriously doubt that . the consent process is fairly well advanced .
It's happening .

golfaholic2, Aug 24, 8:04 pm

The consent process just tells us that they will get a consent to show they are hopeless.

In the unlikely event that they manage to do something that the real experts can't do, the real experts will just do it too.

But the most likely outcome is they will spend a small fortune working out why the Indians or Russians aren't offering the service.

cammey, Aug 24, 8:09 pm

"ran into a cocky" - that is all

bigrichie, Aug 24, 8:18 pm

I surf cast along that stretch of the coast , and for a good period of the year , the fire risk is INSANE .
Not the best place for these activities IMO

golfaholic2 (0 ) 8:19 am, Sat 11 Jul #14
Conflict of interest here.

captaingraham, Aug 24, 9:44 pm

david_270, Aug 24, 10:31 pm

I'm a Greenie tree hugger and I approve of this, the research that these rockets will project into space will teach us more about how to protect our planet. Science is good.

retroqueen1, Aug 25, 5:45 am

Just "interest" . there are many many other areas I fish .

The public needs to be made aware of the shonkey going on out there .

golfaholic2, Aug 25, 6:13 am

It's my understanding that Kiwi ingenuity is behind the low cost launchings , add the fact the Southern Hemisphere launch advantage and it all becomes very cost effective .

I have many reservations about the way it's all being handled . especially when many other viable sites are being ignored

golfaholic2, Aug 25, 6:16 am

Apparently the launch pad is just the size of a tennis court. Depending on the direction of the flame trenches the rocket blast should be directed over the sea or the lake. Hope they can get approval. Jobs for Canterbury.

planespotterhvn, Aug 25, 10:13 am

Great site, low impact on the local area.
These are Not the dam great big things fired off by the yanks.
Good luck to them and those who are able to get a job from it.

fineo, Aug 25, 12:11 pm

what makes you think other sites have been ignored? do you honestly think that when an entity is spending a considerable amount of money, that they don't fully investigate all viable options?

jonners2013, Aug 25, 6:33 pm

Resource consent.
200 jobs for Canterbury?

planespotterhvn, Aug 25, 11:18 pm

whoop!

planespotterhvn, Aug 28, 12:46 am

So you now support corporations with Govt help stripping the rights off the wee guy ?
With most of the profit being sent back overseas .
There wont be 200 jobs , unless you count the truck driver who delivers a load of concrete for the pad etc etc .
Long term , it wont be of much benefit to Canterbury . environment loses , wildlife loses and farmers , locals and recreation users of the area lose .
Lets hope it doesn't help make us a target of terrorism .

Let them sod off up north to the other site they were looking at .

I still think it on the nose that Key turned the first sod before the consent process had started , let alone the affected locals consulted

golfaholic2, Aug 28, 6:18 am

From what I read, these are not NASA sized rockets. There will be very little in the way of environmental "damage". I think its great that these guys are getting the support they need. No need for the tin foil hats just yet.

brightlights60, Aug 28, 10:11 am

Govt could give more support to keep the lions share of profit in NZ , but what irks me is the fact public access will be restricted to an area well utilised by many , including farmers working their land . and it's been done without public consultation , and Key has already turned the first sod before consent has been granted .

There are far more suitable places to launch from which will impact on noone

golfaholic2, Aug 28, 7:55 pm

John Bayley who is the Farmer of the land where the site is going to be seems to be enthusiastic about the project .Like a lot of people in Chch area . ECAN have put a lot of provisions on the permits they have granted and it will not affect people that much . Only for a short period around the launch dates and as it is on private property it should not affect many except the land owner Mr Bayley whos comments seem to be all for the project
The following is his comments from Stuff on 02/07/15

"The project was launched at the site on Thursday . Bayley, whose family has family at Kaitorete Spit for more than 100 years, said it was an exciting project, not just for his family but also for the area and all of New Zealand."

martin11, Aug 29, 8:07 am

This is a load of rubbish!
The university have been launch8ing rockets there for years, and its not like launches are happening every day of the week, so i doubt your claims about heavy traffic are valid!

You should be happy that at once NZ has its own space program!

GO ROCKETLAB!

nzoomed, Aug 29, 9:00 am

Rocketlab probably give him some money in his back pocket every launch!
I would be happy if i was the landowner too!

nzoomed, Aug 29, 9:04 am

Good on him if he is getting a back hand payment it must be shit
land to farm on it gets the wind from all directions where the site is .

martin11, Aug 29, 9:12 am

For starters , there are 3 cocky's effected .
Michael Bayley is the farmer who owns the land , unless it's in his dads name or some such . he farms potatoes nearer the house , while leasing the rest of his land to another effected farmer .

The consent application is for a handful of launches , (not toy rockets like the university boys toyed with) , with all impact studies done with these numbers applied .
But , plans are for 100+ launches per year , which will be a huge venture , and have quite some impact of users of the area .

golfaholic2, Aug 29, 3:43 pm

And the amount of work it will bring to the area and where ever they make the rockets , and their success will put NZ on the world map for rocket development .
Very few people actually live in the area now but with that number of launches the 200 jobs will be good for Christchurch and perhaps Little River area .

martin11, Aug 29, 5:00 pm

You don't for one second think 200 permanent jobs will be created do you ?

Don't get me wrong , the idea is great , but the launch area is not .

Its being rushed through without public consulation for a reason .

Shift it south of the Rakia , and it will be far better in many ways .

golfaholic2, Aug 29, 5:11 pm

Rubbish you are not experienced what they are trying to achieve and you obviously have not followed the reason for siteing in that area and yes if they get to 100 launches per year I believe they may need 200 people making the rockets and launching them , one every 3.7 days a lot of work required just making them .
You are so out of touch with reality .

martin11, Aug 29, 10:05 pm

They making the rockets in Chch are they ?

Its an Auckland based venture , backed by US interests .

These businesses will tell us all sorts of things to make it sound appealing . then change tack once they have been consented .
I find it alarming that Key has turned the first sod before consents even been granted

Would be different if they were launching atop your little bridge I guess

golfaholic2, Aug 30, 7:46 am

I suppose being south of the Rakaia on the flight path of aircraft from the south would be a better idea if you wanted to bring a plane down .
Where it is there is very few if any aircraft regularly travelling over that location .
Also the ECAN consents have been issued already just before John Key was at the site .

martin11, Aug 30, 9:44 am

Im not talking about ECan consents , they are a tiny part of whats needed to allow this to proceed

golfaholic2, Aug 30, 10:07 am

+1

Good for NZ and a world first, something that ChCh desperately needs after the quakes, this will put us on the world map.

NASA doesnt even launch that many rockets per year!

nzoomed, Aug 30, 10:47 am

I see, so all the ethics you claim to possess that support your argument against this project don't apply if it is sited somewhere else? Not happy for it to be in an area you have an interest in but happy to shunt it down the line. Well that's certainly a strong moralistic stance - NOT.

bigrichie, Aug 30, 12:13 pm

Shift it south of the Rakia , and it will be far better in many ways .

The farm land South of the Rakia ,is far better farming land than the poor quality land around the proposed launch site.

fineo, Aug 30, 1:24 pm

bigrichie wrote:
I see, so all the ethics you claim to possess that support your argument against this project don't apply if it is sited somewhere else? Not happy for it to be in an area you have an interest in but happy to shunt it down the line. Well that's certainly a strong moralistic stance - NOT.[/quote

1 farmer would be paid to allow use of a section of land . as it happening now .
Beach users are basically nil along that part of the coast , and I don't think there is any protected wildlife or DOC reserves there .
It's plays no part in Maori heritage either ? , which is something else which is being worked around at Bayleys .
Between Pendarves and Ashburton is some truly desolate coastline .

And let us not forget , a site in the N/I was also looked extensively at .

$$$ should never over ride the rights of individuals .

Don't question my morals

golfaholic2, Aug 30, 2:18 pm

One must remember , once a foothold is taken , there will be no turning back . this must be done right from the outset .

golfaholic2, Aug 30, 2:19 pm

And it is ,as it is the perfect site for such a venture.

fineo, Aug 30, 3:34 pm

How can it be perfect when it will interfere with the running of farms , with beach users , traffic , protected species , duck hunters and on and on

There is a reason the public is being kept out of the loop . that alone is call for concern

golfaholic2, Aug 30, 4:09 pm

One farm,Hardly going to have bugger all impact on duck hunters for crying out loud.Lake Ellesmere covers one hell of an area ,and the site is the size of a tennis court.
Given the weather conditions during duck season ,highly unlikely going to be much happening on the site.

fineo, Aug 30, 4:22 pm

2 km exclusion zone . 3 farmers effected , but one is receiving compensation via a lease to use his land .
Edited to add , the closure will have all sorts of effects , extended up to 12kms beyond the launch site

golfaholic2, Jul 3, 3:11 am

Share this thread