Can you remember these Ch.Ch people?

I have a glass from the Industries Fair Fairy Cave 1956 plus another two from later years with Graham Kerr's signature.

coralsnake, Aug 4, 11:15 pm

Elizabeth the Seal she use to come up the avon river and rest on the road

starskey, Aug 5, 6:41 am

Are the plaques for the first four ships still in Cathedral Square?

deerhurst, Aug 5, 8:51 am

Wasn't that on Fitzgerald Ave near what was then a gym?

thebuzzyone, Aug 5, 5:47 pm

Never heard, what was it?

jessie981, Aug 5, 5:50 pm

Caffiends?

jcmp21, Aug 5, 8:23 pm

And the light from the Christchurch Airport tower that used to go round and round.

fineo, Aug 5, 8:26 pm

Yep, Fitzy ave, on a Church, for years and years.
It got painted over but I wanted to go and redo it. Iconic really.
Have no idea what it ment, but it earned its right to be there.

marte, Aug 5, 10:53 pm

:) memories ae, I remember that zoo (if you could call it that in North Beach, & a man who used to dress up as Sherlock Holmes - in Square with wizard & Alf's Imperial Army.
How its all changed now :(

granny98, Aug 6, 2:05 am

My dad was caretaker there for 16 years until his retirement

rollydog1, Aug 6, 8:42 pm

As I recall there were two spot lights set apart and the cone of light were brought together.

aj.2., Aug 6, 9:16 pm

Does anyone remember "ringos" bookshop?
Ringo ran it. He had a terrible rat infested hair piece. The shop was cluttered beyond belief. Loved going in there for a look.
Think he stared in Manchester st then moved to new regent street.

fatima1, Aug 6, 11:13 pm

I remember Ringo's New Regent St and Manchester St book shops. Only went there a few times. Would probably get shut down by the health dept. these days. Don't think the shop ever saw a vacuum cleaner!

paulmc, Aug 7, 1:04 am

I remember John who owned Mousetrap Records on the corner of Papanui Rd and Bealey Ave in the 1970s. Later moved to the corner of Edgeware Rd and Barbadoes St (in the 1990s?).

paulmc, Aug 7, 1:11 am

Wasn't he down on Ferry Road by Sacred Heart College in a group of motley shops in the early 70's? There was a bookshop down there that used to be very dirty and untidy with a guy running it with a grotty hairpiece.

kran32, Aug 7, 3:37 pm

Not outside United Service hotel but on other side of the Square

robin23, Aug 7, 3:51 pm

. Yes he was. Later he moved his shop to New Regent St. When he was a young lad he used to swap comics with kids at the Chums Club, which was at the Crystal Palace movie theatre. Does anyone know if Ringo is still alive?

robin23, Aug 7, 3:54 pm

I used to go roller skating at Canterbury Court, mid 1960's. Also loved going across our back fence to English Park when the cycling was on, Wednesday's nights from memory. The famous Tino Tabak used to train there sometimes.

robin23, Aug 7, 3:57 pm

. he had about 15 dogs. He busked to buy dog food. I often wondered what happened to his dogs when he died.

robin23, Aug 7, 4:07 pm

Don't know if hes still alive but I come across some of his books sometimes, you can always tell them by the big scrawl on the front cover with the price in the middle, wonder how many old books he destroyed this way?!

bookmart, Aug 7, 7:53 pm

don't forget George Patrick Shannon - reasonably well known drunk on a bike

treachug, Aug 7, 8:12 pm

Rene Stanton. also used to ring talkback on Sunday nights going on & on. Cannot remember which Radio station it was though

treachug, Aug 7, 8:15 pm

Sure remember him with his facial tattoos

jessie981, Aug 7, 8:34 pm

Dainty Inn custard squares, the Albatross coffee shop in the square, Nanking Cafe. The Victorian Coffee shop (The Vic) had candles in wine bottles, very cosmopolitan back then!

alfisti2, Aug 9, 7:32 am

'THIS IS NOT A BLOODY COMMUNIST LADA'

marte, Aug 9, 10:40 pm

Paislys book shop on the cnr of Armagh and Barbadoes st.

He was a huge Beatles fan. If he had a good money morning, he would buy a crate of beer and drink it in one day.
Depending on how he felt, you might get a one word answer (good or bad), or a stream of abuse, or some interesting facts that you never knew about concerning the Beatles, goverment or about cars.
He shifted to the westcoast in about 1990 and within a few months got held up at gunpoint.
("these things are supposed to happen in Chch, not the west coast" was his quote in the paper)

The albatross tearooms. and a guy named Billy who ate there.

marte, Aug 9, 10:50 pm

Was that Ray Swidermann(sp?) He was x American Navy and brought two houses on Packe st to use as hostel accomidation for tourists.
He was going to do heaps of things, free bikes and breakfast etc etc.

Then he went back to America, I think late 80's. I never met him.
The houses got abandoned and a guy, B.C,. took them over early 90's untill late 90's when someone else took one over in 98+.
Then the council took them over for unpaid rates and sold them for $400,000
At the exact same time, Ray died of a heart attack in a carpark in NW America where his family was.

marte, Aug 9, 11:06 pm

I remember that car.

survivalkiwi, Aug 10, 7:18 am

Punk was Eddie. Later he took up the trumpet and busked with that.

foal30, Aug 10, 4:41 pm

He ended up on Shirley Rd in David Caygill's old electorate office.

foal30, Aug 10, 4:47 pm

Radio Pacific?

foal30, Aug 10, 4:50 pm

Zenith Appilied Philosphy.

foal30, Aug 10, 4:53 pm

and Henderson is STILL taking everyone for a ride

tall_order, Aug 10, 5:49 pm

Delhoff was the main man. He had his believers believe his house was the center of the universe. He owned about a dozen top quality cars all paid for by his followers.

survivalkiwi, Aug 10, 6:19 pm

good memory. . Interesting character wasn't he

project_justice, Aug 10, 6:26 pm

I remember a fight at their hot sandwich shop in Brighton. Also a chicken farm on Burwood Road? IIRC it was slave wages . Which is a laugh considering their hysterical anti- communist line.

foal30, Aug 10, 7:31 pm

there was a chocolate shop that did amazing icecream sundaes. all sticky, gooey sauces in little dishes. was it dorothy greys or something like that ?

halffullglass, Aug 11, 5:58 am

Strolaways A take away bar in Glauster Street. It had the best thick shakes.
And good old ice cream charlie. I cant wait untill they are back. I wll do a special trip to Chch to have one of those again.

survivalkiwi, Aug 11, 6:26 am

I remember an American form New York who had a cafe with great coffee in the city. By memory it was an old white wooden building and it got demolished at some stage. He took the time to explain the process involved in making good coffee, would maybe remember the name of the place if I read it.

badjames, Aug 11, 7:25 am

Fails Cafe, best fish restaurant in christchurch.

pammies, Aug 11, 3:26 pm

In Rangiora or Kaiapoi?

jcmp21, Aug 11, 6:29 pm

Clyde Rd IIRC
Merivale/Fendelton.

foal30, Aug 11, 6:55 pm

Or was it Idris? Haha, I can't remember.

foal30, Aug 11, 6:55 pm

yes !
with the tale of the ancient mariner around the walls ?

halffullglass, Aug 11, 7:09 pm

I remember seeing him in Farmers in the ladies department going into the changing cubicle to try on ladies knickers. I also remember seeing him getting ushered out by the staff!

vintagecrush, Sep 8, 3:20 am

Share this thread