These sob stories every day are getting me down Page 1 / 3

doggybear, Jun 5, 10:51pm

lyndad59, Jun 5, 11:05pm
Why ? Why would anyone move to another city before making sure they had somewhere to live & a job ? Just plain stupid . Did he get the $3000 from WINZ ?

doggybear, Jun 5, 11:19pm
Some people in his position have only themselves to blame-like everything I do in my life. Dont worry, watch this space in the next day or so .

puddleduck00, Jun 5, 11:24pm
Some of these stories are of people who are victims of their own poor decisions. This kind of journalism undermines people who are actual victims of the quake and have been completely messed around by their insurance. I'm all for helping people, but the story above is of someone who chose to move here knowing they didn't have the qualifications/skills to get work (and didn't secure work prior to moving).

laspaz, Jun 5, 11:27pm
How long are people going to keep milking the Christchurch earthquake cow?

puddleduck00, Jun 5, 11:37pm
Mate there are people who have genuinely been shafted and are living in crap circumstances through no fault of their own. Just not the person above.

david_270, Jun 5, 11:38pm
As long as there are quake victims & claimants for them to exploit?
But, the victims are fighting back:
https://www.courtsofnz.govt.nz/business/high-court-lists/earthquake-list-christchurch/CHCHHCEQList18052015.pdf

laspaz, Jun 5, 11:38pm
Yes but how long will it take for them to make good decisions and get on with life?

Bad circumstances happen to folks everyday.

puddleduck00, Jun 5, 11:41pm
You try paying rent and a mortgage and see if you can "get on with life". And try battling an insurance company for years.

laspaz, Jun 5, 11:43pm
Far bigger problems are faced by many people. At least you had a house, insurance etc. Put you miles ahead of many people out there.

kacy5, Jun 5, 11:46pm
Obviously they haven't affected you, laspaz, so don't read about them. You have no idea what many are still going through with EQC and insurance battles so have a little empathy please. I am not affected but know of some who have really struggled and taken payouts below what they may have received which puts them on the back foot again. They are the lucky ones who can move on, many can't especially an ill relative who will likely be in a wheel chair soon. The insurance co. insist on building his house 'as is' and not allowing for wheelchair access or ease of movement. He is prepared to let them do this but then they come up with another excuse not to commence the build. He is not taking handouts from the Govt. unlike many on here, he still works and all he wants is a payout, whatever it is, before his condition gets worse.

puddleduck00, Jun 5, 11:47pm
I'm not talking about myself. I think you need to stick your head back in the sand and run along. What are you doing in the Canterbury Recovery category anyway?

laspaz, Jun 5, 11:49pm
I have empathy, but many people are worse off, let's keep things relative here.

And just because that is my opinion, does not mean I should run along.

kacy5, Jun 5, 11:50pm
Said by one being helped to live by the taxpayer I believe.

laspaz, Jun 5, 11:51pm
Many people in wheelchair will never even be able to own a home. So if you are using that as an example, this guy is still relatively lucky.

Chin up guys!

laspaz, Jun 5, 11:54pm
What is wrong with that? If these people were worse off they would be covered by the same safety net.

kacy5, Jun 5, 11:55pm
For a person with multiple health problems he could have been on a benefit for years but he refused and has struggled working in a fairly physical job all his life. He saved and bought his little house with no help from anyone. Did you?

laspaz, Jun 5, 11:59pm
I don't own a house, my current income does not allow it.

Good on him, I am not saying he does not deserve to be made whole. I don't see a sob story from the guy you speak of, all I said was that it could be worse.

kacy5, Jun 6, 12:07am
Yes, he could have been killed when his house started to collapse where he was in September 5 years ago. You won't see a sob story from him, he spends his life struggling to live without causing problems for anyone. He has had health problems from lack of oxygen at birth plus not making it to the hospital in time for the birth.

laspaz, Jun 6, 12:09am
Good on him. Lucky guy.

puddleduck00, Jun 6, 12:12am
Relative to what? Like I said, try paying a mortgage, rates and rent at the same time. And try having to get rid of your family pet because the rentals are mostly pet free. Try living in a un-weatherproofed/damaged home or even a garage with your kids for multiple winters. Try having to constantly fight an insurance company for 4 years. I don't see any empathy in your posts. I see ignorance.

laspaz, Jun 6, 12:17am
Depends on you point of reference really. Did all of that happen to one family all at the same time? That sounds like a valid excuse for a moan.

Nothing other people are not doing everyday all over the place though.

beauranger, Jun 6, 12:27am
Laspaz yes you are right, there are worse things out there and bad stuff happens to people everyday. Just because one persons bad set of circumstances may not be perceived as bad as someone elses, doesn't mean its not extremely difficult for the person going through it. Sometimes ongoing things one after the other over a long period of time can really wear a person down. If you live with constant adrenalin pumping, stress, lack of sleep, anxiety etc etc, it has huge impacts on your overall health and ability to deal with things on a day to day basis. Hence why some people end up with ulcers, heart attacks, adrenal fatigue, stress headaches, exhaustion, depression etc. Like many others, I have watched people deal with stress after stress over the last 4 years and it has affected normally resilient, strong, positive people. Plus we don't know what other things are also going on in peoples lives that add to it. I am not referring to perhaps those who have made poor decisions and are living with the consequences. Saying 'other people are worse off' may be true, but its not always relevant, its almost like saying if you are suffering, its not valid, because someone else is suffering more.

laspaz, Jun 6, 12:31am
Yep good fair comments, but at what stage can we expect people will stop blaming one event for everything? Will it just be ongoing for the rest of their lives?

No doubt many people are using it as an excuse, especially more so as time goes on and they need to start taking responsibility for their own actions.

beauranger, Jun 6, 12:41am
I guess there will always be some people who get 'stuck' with an event in their lives that has caused negative circumstances. And theres not much the rest of us can do about that. Lets not forget the media likes to keep stories alive as well and are known to sensationalise, exaggerate or even get facts wrong to make a story. If they didn't report these stories as they have all week, then this thread wouldn't have been started today.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)