Fanfare on northern motorway Page 1 / 2

traykuku, Jun 12, 12:02am
It was all lit up this morning. looked great but I wonder if they are going to cut down that great big tree that obscures half of it as you drive south?

smoff79, Jun 12, 1:35am
or stop the drivers driving down the motorway taking pic on theirs phones in 100k zone.

aimz_bj, Jun 12, 1:47am
or stop drivers from being blinded from the reflection on the metal on sunny days.

junie2, Jun 12, 3:57am
I LOVE it!

dorie1, Jun 12, 5:36am
Think it looks great - I too wonder if they will cut down the tree!

articferrit, Jun 12, 5:58am
The sun strike from it will be interesting!

melcraig, Jun 12, 7:17am
I really like it!

indigojo, Jun 12, 8:43am
I hope the don't cut down the trees, it's nice seeing it emerge from the trees from the different appeoaches

stillwaters, Jun 12, 9:08am
I was quite disappointed with the lights, they were no where near as good as the youtube simulation. I suppose my expectation was too high after that.

essendon_bomber, Jun 12, 9:14am
how long till some is distracted and has an accident.

1973cb, Jun 12, 9:11pm
i think it looks amazing but think that the trees need to go as it blocks the view sth

junie2, Jun 12, 10:31pm
If it's important I guess there will be some statistics somewhere taken from accidents which have occurred when drivers have been distracted by SkyTower, or the Sydney Harbour Bridge or even our own Chalice. Shit will always happen. Let's just enjoy this without forecasting doom.

lugee, Jun 13, 12:38am
Really? I see many people completely face down on their phones while driving every day. That's far more dangerous than looking at a sculpture that's actually in the direction you should be looking when driving anyway, and people are doing it all over the place rather than one specific location.

Non issue.

brightlights60, Jun 13, 12:49am
Exactly. I have more problems with idiots around town yacking on their cell phones or texting than looking straight ahead and seeing a sculpture in their line of vision. Its actually been perfectly positioned so people don't drive off the road looking at it (unless you are really thick or an incredibly bad driver lol)

puddles11, Jun 13, 12:58am
I do have to laugh when I see some people go on like this is the first time ever that something interesting has been put within viewing distance of a road. Perhaps they need to get out of Christchurch a bit more.

loose.unit8, Jun 13, 1:01am
Just because something else is more dangerous doesn't automatically mean something slightly less dangerous is a "non issue".

lugee, Jun 13, 3:04am
So what, do we enclose every road in a hollow hemispherical prism with a completely featureless and neutral interior so that there's zero distractions for car drivers? You're having a laugh, if people get distracted that's their fault, not the thing that distracted them.

loose.unit8, Jun 13, 3:31am
What is it's purpose if not so that people look at it? Eye's off the road = a distraction. Your argument seems to be that people shouldn't look at it. It's an even bigger waste of money in that case.

Sun-strike off it wouldn't be the drivers fault.

essendon_bomber, Jun 13, 9:26am
Puddles11 If you are saying that I don't get out of ChCh, maybe you might like to pay my travel account for the last 12 months, 15 countries, only 3 of them with English as their first language, maybe its you who would like to "get out of Christchurch a bit more" shit "icons" like the ball and the vase in the square are just that shit. give me the Eiffel tower, the Colosseum, or cruising down the Danube any-day, even going to Berlin beats what we have "manufactured.

to Puddles11 I say " D'akujem"

murrayt, Jun 13, 9:43am
"Erected in 1889 as the entrance arch to the 1889 World's Fair, it [the Eiffel Tower] was initially criticized by some of France's leading artists and intellectuals for its design . " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower

mikew, Jun 13, 9:48am
Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

essendon_bomber, Jun 13, 10:07am
and if the ball and the vase are still around in 120 years, I would be very surprised.
Anyway " French artists and intellectuals" are not known for having a lot of common sense, or taste for that matter.

atlantis3, Jun 13, 10:16am
Would you like some cheese with that

lugee, Jun 13, 12:51pm
I wouldn't call 'eyes off the road' a distraction in all cases. Eyes come off the road to check speedo, mirrors, other side roads every few seconds when driving, yet those wouldn't be called distractions. Distractions are things like three kids fighting in the back seat. If someone can't appreciate some scenery safely without losing concentration (sort of like when driving through the high country, you can take it in without really focussing on it) then they shouldn't be driving.

puddles11, Jun 13, 3:15pm
Err, that's great. My post was actually referring to all the comments I have heard since Fanfare was brought over here, talking about it as though it's the first time an art installation has ever been located next to a road, and the perils that will apparently inevitably ensue from this. It was not specific to you at all, but it's great to hear that you're obviously very impressed with your recent travel activity just the same.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)