Hagley park cricket oval the council have

done it again. Over costs again, I don't think the greenkeeper should have lost his job, I think the guy at the councils head should roll. Some of us didn't even want the oval there, now we are stuck with it. Its like the council just giving the rate payers the finger every time.

slimgym, May 25, 1:27 pm

If one constucted a building for one of the developers on the council and was a dollar over budget, you would not get paid, put them all together in the trough and cost overuns are quite normal to them.

llew46, May 25, 5:42 pm

Just call it "The Tony Marryatt Memorial White Elephant" and add it to the list.

articferrit, May 25, 9:42 pm

No pleasing everyone. I think the development has been well worth it.

chrise73, May 25, 10:01 pm

So do I.

jamesnmatt, May 25, 10:14 pm

Same here, wonderful facility for Cricket in Christchurch

jon9, May 25, 10:14 pm

The thing is its only the anti-brigade who pipe up. Most of the Cantabs i know back it. They have developed a great venue on minimal budget.

chrise73, May 25, 10:18 pm

But if it can not be used all year round it isnt unless of course cricket games were priced to cover the cost of maintaining it over the Winter. Then I bet you will say its not worth it.

cassina1, May 25, 11:49 pm

Most large developments end up over initial budgeting.

Rarely is there a genuinely fixed price contract.

jonners2013, May 25, 11:53 pm

Of course if tickets were insanely high i would think it was stupid. Council funds a wide range of things - some you will agree with, some you wont. I for one am not a huge fan of my rates paying for/subsiding libraries and swimming pools.

chrise73, May 26, 12:20 am

If there was no ratepayer/taxpayer money involved I bet there would be.
though.

cassina1, May 26, 12:53 am

chrise73 then you don't know many cantabs then.

bobin55, May 26, 2:46 am

some people moan. others dont.

ozz1, May 26, 6:37 am

agree - if its only going to cost ratepayers $300,000 a year to maintain it, then its money well spent. Much better than a flower show.

ps - how many Tony Marryatt's would we have got for $300,000?

ryanm2, May 26, 8:00 am

In the grand scheme of overruns on other projects - ie convention centre - this is pretty minor and the ground has already been used and enjoyed by thousands of people.

william1980, May 26, 12:17 pm

Its a white elephant. As the greenkeeper said should have kept the one at QE2. That way no parking problems for hospital people or cricket people.
Give us back hagley park. The ratepayers of chch were totally miss lead over the whole thing

slimgym, May 26, 8:42 pm

There were no significant parking issues last summer.
Apparently there were about 9 moanbonders who opposed the oval development. Misery loves company.
Cricket prevails. This is Canterbury- its what we do!

strats5, May 29, 9:56 am

No significant parking issues last summer where did you get fact from

slimgym, Aug 14, 4:08 pm