ULE log burners in new builds? Page 1 / 3

ljx, Jul 17, 11:06am
Hello, who here is thinking of installing one of the new ULE Ecan approved wood burners in there new build? Any recommendations? advice?
I am due to begin building in a few months and am yet to submit for CCC consent . just weighting up whether to spend 10k and get one now or wait 6-12 months and see if new ones come on the market - while waiting i am hoping that Ecan dont change their minds. HELP!? Thanks

golfaholic2, Jul 17, 8:23pm
ECan are quite likely to pull the pin on future resource consenting of the burners authorised to date , which in turn will stop others trying for authorisation .
The test procedure is flawed massively , with ongoing debate about exactly how flawed .
I wouldn't take the chance , get in now

craftylady1, Jul 17, 9:53pm
Glad we got our wood burner in earlier in the year. LOVE ??

wanderer52, Jul 18, 2:16am
We are going to wait for a more suitable ULE burner to come along, or we'll get inventive! We have a place for a fire in our being built home.

cassina1, Jul 18, 2:34am
Is it worth the risk of having one if it smokes long enough to get you a $750 fine.

martin11, Jul 18, 2:41am
Even the older models do not smoke if you burn dry wood and not rubbish and not shut them down to much .

golfaholic2, Jul 18, 5:04am
You are quite right martin . they will however emit a little ash . harmless larger particles , but stupid ECan count it all as PM10

A lot of newer burners will emit less ash , but more smoke .

ECan and the Ministry cannot seem to grasp that not all particulate is created equal .

pezarointeriors, Jul 18, 7:45am
Ijx, my advice is to go and see one running. That way you can make an informed decision.

ljx, Jul 18, 1:16pm
Thanks for all the advise. I am feeking torn. Craftylady . do you have a ULE burner . which model did you install? After your advise golfaholic I am worried if we wait too long we will miss out. I don't know anyone who has a new ULE burner . just have to trust in the system?

craftylady1, Jul 18, 6:03pm
ljx. we installed a Masport Grandview which was legal when we bought it at the end of last year. not sure if it is now. Ours was a replacement for another masport as it had reached 14 years, so we decided to get a new one before rules changed. It burns very well and doesn't smoke that we have seen. We burn only dry wood

pezarointeriors, Jul 18, 8:04pm
Ijx, I wouldn't worry too much. There are no experts on here as to what Ecan plan to do. The new air plan is unlikely to change before you build. Therefore take your time and speak with people that have the correct knowledge to assist in your requirements when the time comes.

golfaholic2, Jul 18, 8:21pm
ECan do not even know what they are doing , so how could anyone know what the clowns will do .
I can tell you this , the authorisation tests are flawed by a factor of up to 6 . the saving grace will be the phasing out of conventional burners as of 2019 if memory serves , and a low uptake? of ULE burners until then

pezarointeriors, Jul 18, 8:31pm
OT. The op wanted to know if it made sense to purchase an uleb now. You and I know that would suit me more than you. The fact is your view of the test is not relevant to their question, which appears to be around cost. Are they going to come down in price? Who knows. One model is sold for less here than where it is made. It has been on the market in America and Europe for several years so price is unlikely to change. In fact there is a chance with the $ movement at the moment that they may go up.

golfaholic2, Jul 18, 9:13pm
"get in now" was my suggestion .

You'd rather they waited ?

pezarointeriors, Jul 19, 12:30am
No golfaholic, clearly it benefits me for people to buy one now. However I also want people to be correctly informed.

ljx, Jul 20, 10:00am
Thanks for all the help - i have decided to bite the bullet and get a ULE burner for the new build. Would rather get consent for one now then sit around 'waiting'. Am sure once the new place is built ill be glad i did! :)

golfaholic2, Jul 20, 9:01pm
As do I , for the record , it isn't my opinion about the emissions from the ULE burners authorised to date , it's from probably the most highly qualified testing agent in NZ .
As to ECans future reaction to the news , that's anyones guess , but if the maths doesn't stack up , hmmmm
Keep in mind also , they have choosen 2019? to start the phase out of conventional burners , so they cant be that stressed about the NESAQ target , unless they are going to pressure the Ministry to relent on the consequences of failing to meet it

golfaholic2, Jul 20, 9:02pm
A wise decision . but that's the easy part . picking which one of the three is where the next problem lies .

ljx, Jul 20, 9:26pm
Thanks Golfaholic . i am feeling very torn. I like the look and compact-ness of the Bionic yet the Jayline has a-lot more grunt and is able to be cooked on. And then there is the Xeoos . which sits nicely between the two . i wish i could make an informed decision.

golfaholic2, Jul 21, 1:12am
How big is the room the burner will be in ? ceiling height ?

Too much heat becomes a problem . I'm not sure how much control over output these burners have ?

Id go small to mid sized , with a heat pump for the bedroom end of house .

ljx, Jul 21, 6:01am
The house size is 120 sqm in total, but it is all open plan, so living/lounge/kitchen is about 60-80sq. With only two bed rooms closed off and down the other end, We already have a heat pump so are planning on putting that somewhere (either central or down the bedroom end. Ceiling height standard at 2.4 (i think?) My concern is that the house will be above spec as far as insulation and double glazing etc. I went to look at the Jayline Waltham today but it is so big (looks like a giant robot) . and possibly too much output for what we actually need? However my partner liked the size of the burning chamber in the Jayline as he doesnt like the idea of cutting the wood so small for the likes of the bionic fire (which is my choice as it is a nice looking design and not going to be too hot) - not to mention the 4k price difference. I am thinking now the Xeoos might be a nice middle ground. Its a really hard decision . especially when i go to view the burners in person and the people working it the stores tell me to wait until next year as there will be heaps more on the market and at half the price!

pezarointeriors, Jul 21, 7:37am
Ijx, ok, I never self promote but as the importer of the Xeoos range I can at least help a little. The Xeoos is the only authorised uleb with heat output control (high/low). It can heat up to 120m2 assuming a 2.5m high ceiling. Firebox size is not really a consideration with any of them as the fires do not use normal combustion. What I would suggest as a start point is to see one running. It will make more sense then.

golfaholic2, Jul 21, 7:39am
The Walltherm will cook you . plain and simple .

The bionic fire will be a comfortable amount of heat in that room . tho it may take a little time to take the chill off .

The Xeoos will leave you spare heat for other parts of the house , but may make it a little uncomfortable in the living room .
Once again , I am unaware of the level of output control

Another thing to consider , how many north/west facing windows ?

pezarointeriors, Jul 21, 7:40am
Golfaholic, the Xeoos has adjustable output.

golfaholic2, Jul 21, 7:41am
Hearts just sold me . lol .

What sorta control range ?

Oh , standard ceiling height in a home is 2.4mtrs . much of a muchness tho

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)