Check roof cavity for mould if built in last yr Page 2 / 2

shz1, Aug 21, 1:23am
It's not on a concrete floor. We on piles
Any colour steel will heat the same

And yes strange isn't the word for it. None is any closer to finding out why.

claire351, Aug 21, 8:18am
Wet framing and no ventilation in the roof space.

goldclan, Aug 22, 9:14pm
Any news of mould testing results yet?

wanderer52, Aug 23, 12:37am
shz, Light coloured materials reflect heat and light back off the surface. That's why shade sails made of dark material are hot beneath whilst light coloured ones are cool and windowsills etc painted with dark coloured paints blister and crack because they absorb a tremendous amount of heat and expand and contract with cooling. New paints now available now can avoid this. Pure physics.

shz1, Aug 30, 11:44pm
Results are back which had several types of mould including toxic. Had a team come in last Monday and put in a vent system that runs 24/7
Friday we had a team come in and scrap and spray the mould wood and roofing paper and bats. But did a less then prefect job. Didn't follow ppe 2 safety . And we're rude and unhelpful
This is step 1 in a long list to sort next is on Monday coming a logger machine goes up for a few days to test everything. Then in 10 days retesting . Then will have more of a idea what is going to happen

Still no idea what caused it as until we get the clear from roof space . Noone can go into check

wanderer52, Aug 31, 7:22am
Glad that it's being fixed. What a process.

widespec, Aug 31, 2:57pm

kiwitrader43, Sep 1, 10:43pm
Put your dehumidifier in the ceiling for a couple of days to get the humidity down. Dry everything out, then install soffit vents to control air ventilation.
Sounds like your roof trusses may have been gotten wet and grown white mould whilst in the wrappers before installation.
Check to see if mould is on trusses as well as ceiling framing. That may confirm the suspicion.

catwoman1974, Sep 3, 1:38pm
Modern air tight home with wet timber and no ventilation = mould.

I'd hate to think what the studs are like.

catwoman1974, Sep 3, 1:41pm
That white stuff usually means the timber is rotting

nightsky1, Sep 4, 7:36am
Probably unrelated but due to the building surge in Canterbury, storage space for large numbers of built trusses is diminishing.

ie corner of winters rd and QE 2 stacks of trusses with the covering plastic sheets blowing about in the wind. (All gone for now) or a huge area of trusses stored on farm land open to the elements in the same way on McCleans Island Rd (just before the stock bank opposite Issac's.) next to the road.

wouldn't hurt to ask your builder where has all the timber for your roof been stored prior to being installed.

never used to be a problem, but it seems short cuts do get taken with the sheer volume of builds underway.

Old story here but get a good builder.

shz1, Sep 4, 6:27pm
We did have a great builder. But the company was another story . We still waiting to see what are the next steps .
Our two young children have health issues so have not been living with us. And health has got he'll of alot better since.

wine-o-clock, Sep 4, 7:26pm
can u give a hint of who the company is?

shz1, Sep 4, 7:32pm
Ritchie mcaw is a nice guy. Hope this is enough
He is the face for them

shz1, Oct 28, 5:31am
Just a update. After a second round of testing it seems to have stop growing for now. We have to have it fully cleaned and treated again. And then 4 small vents placed in ends of house which they hope with let enough air in. But will have to watch over the years to come it doesn't start again

wanderer52, Oct 28, 7:17am
Thanks for the update shz1, hoping it doesn't return. Best wishes

goldclan, Oct 29, 8:27pm
Great to hear the update.
Hope the clean is done thoroughly and properly and the air vents reduce the chances of it returning.

goldclan, Oct 29, 8:29pm
I have heard via other people that this is quite a wide spread problem
so I hope people have taken notice and got their roof spaces checked.

judith98, Oct 30, 9:13pm
Who is paying for this?

widespec, Oct 31, 10:31am
the other day i saw some builders putting up wall framing in the rain, just wrong! if i were to build a house it would be over summer and under a tarp. you wouldn't build furniture in the rain now would you?

echoriath, Oct 31, 11:30am
Putting up wall framing/trusses in the rain should not matter. Internal linings should not go on unless moisture content of timber is below specified amount, to be verified by inspector with properly utilised moisture meter. And internal linings should not go on until external linings are on (or RAB board installed). Letting framing sit in persistent rain for weeks or months is another story.

As for roof space, it should be included with final inspection for reasons mentioned above (post #19).

shz: Has anyone trying to fix the problem applied a moisture meter to the timber in the roof space? Has anyone identified the source of moisture that is feeding the mould? Until the moisture source is identified and eliminated, all the remediation in the world is just treating the symptoms and not the cause.

widespec, Oct 31, 12:33pm
.it's where they bolt it or nail it to the floor when wet that is an issue especially with a little soil mixed in from muddy boots that have walked all over the timber floor.

corkranb, Oct 31, 3:56pm
I wish there was some magic solution to building houses that were not exposed to the weather or dampness especially in Winter as it would make my job hell of lot more pleasant in inclement weather. The bottom plates on the framing has malthoid stapled underneath that is a barrier between the timber and floor. I am a builder and from the day the framing is stood up to the roof being covered and eco ply put around the outside walls should not be more than two weeks. Once the house is completely weather tight with windows and doors installed and foamed which should be around the 5 week mark as there is always a three week delay between getting the windows and doors measured onsite and then manufactured and delivered. Normally around the 8 week mark once the ceiling battens and internal doors are hung and the plumbers, electricians etc. have done their pre line work the CCC does a pre line inspection and all timbers in the house including bottom plates have to be below a 18% moisture reading to pass the test to allow gib board to be installed.

echoriath, Feb 6, 3:45pm
There is a newish product that is essentially a ten mm packer meant to go on the bottom of bottom plates. I suppose it must obviate the need for malthoid. I've not really seen them in use.

Even the bottom plates should be able to dry, though a slab with hollows exposed to the weather is going to cause problems until the roof is on. Even so, if the timber is kiln dried, it shouldn't soak up THAT much water. And we had a packet of supposedly kiln-dried timber show up that tested at 25%! some of the heaviest bloody 4x2s I've lifted.

Also, the pins for the moisture meter need to go into the timber. Often inspectors don't sink them in enough.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)