New Brighton Rd?

Does any one know or have any ideas why New Brighton Road is closed between Pratt St and the Pages Rd round-about. There is a sign saying that it is closed for a year!?

ljx, Jun 5, 10:51 pm

I am just around the corner, might have a wander or Zenny at the diary will know. -

suka, Jun 6, 2:58 pm

Ok . so they are obviously pulling the river bank onto the road between Pratt St and the Pages Rd roundabout. Does anyone know what they are actually doing there either short or long term?

ljx, Jun 21, 9:32 pm

I heard it may reopen , but will be one way .

We need that road open , and both ways

golfaholic2, Jun 22, 7:41 am

Why don,t they close the road from Palmers to Pages, we do have Anzac Dr now.

jessebird, Jun 22, 10:44 am

Thanks guys, yea i might call Scrit or something. I know someone building around there and it just seems odd that residents are not informed of major decisions than seem to have a huge effect on the area. I walked around there a few days ago and it was so nice to not have any cars. I too think they should just close it, between Travis / Anzac and Pages there are enough roads to get around.

ljx, Jun 23, 8:47 am

Why would you do that?
And what does having Anzac Drive have to do with it. It's on the other side of the river. People still live in Palmers Road, Baker Street, Rawson Street and Pratt Street. Just because New Brighton Road runs through the red zone doesn't mean people stop using it.
All they need to do is raise the level of the road so it is above the level of the river to stop the flooding.

unclewainwright, Jun 23, 11:39 am

Anyone else concerned that every high tide New Brighton Road floods. Just wondering if anything will ever / can be done!?.

ljx, Sep 10, 6:39 pm

It's not only New Brighton road, we have been lucky that the weather has been so mild and no real rain.

aj.2., Sep 10, 6:45 pm

This was written for an explanation to help folk understand and was posted on here in 2011??.

The river and the land has dropped over 1+ metres.

The river (since the early settlement days) has been affected by the tides.
The atmospheric pressure affects these tides, as does the moon.

The Spring tides are a regular occurrence in accordance with full moon phases - (approx. 28 days) when the tides are quite a lot higher.
If a ???low?? in the weather occurs at the same time as a Spring tide, the tidal height is quite a lot higher again.
This occurred during the last Spring tide (approx. 2 - 3 weeks ago) and created further flooding in some areas along the sides of the river.
There is a delay of around 2 hours between high tide at sea and the time the river rises and causes the problems that it does, and more so since the earthquake damage.

Shortly after the 4th Sept. the banks of the river were sandbagged only in some places.
This proved unsuccessful and a start was made on building up the banks even further.
The work has been ongoing since and is continuing. The cost must be around $1 - $2 million dollars by now!

A month or so ago, I heard a City Council engineer on local radio state, when asked if dredging the river would help, that ???he thought it would??. I could not believe my ears!

Soon after, Roger Sutton of CERA was asked the same question again on the local radio. I was stunned to hear him say much the same.

The general and simple physics of the problem can be best described with the use of the ???U?? tube.

((Just to help understand this - if you have a length of clear plastic tubing, any length 1 metre, 100 metres, length does not matter. Poor in water at one end, and, as the water rises at the other end it will be the same level at BOTH ends??100% accurate! (The length of the tube creates a little delay as the water flows through - the larger the tube, less the delay. The end result is the same.))

This applies to the Avon - the areas that have dropped means the tide is causing the river to rise above its ???old?? (original pre quake) height. (approx 1+m higher)

Dredging out the river bed will make NO difference?? the same as the ???U?? tube principle; as the sea level rises so does the Avon River level, via the Estuary/river mouth.

I became very aware of the huge drop in the land and river a few days after the first quake (Sept.), when driving alongside the river (Avonside Drive Nth. of Retreat Rd.) and looked out of my car windows - ducks in the river were not far off being level with my eye line from the car!

It was at this time, I commenced thinking of the ???whys and wherefores??.

I thought of a simple solution?? ???stop the entry of the sea into the Avon River??.
Knowing about the damage there was, and the massive task ahead of the City, a simple, fast and inexpensive fix was required to prevent repair work being carried out, from being damaged again during the next Spring tide.

Something that would last for a few years (2 - 3+ yrs) giving now, much needed time. Later a permanent system can be built, as I believe will be needed for the future City.

To this end, I designed a basic, no frills system using almost all recycled, readily available materials. I believe it would cost around $150,000(ish), could be done in about 3 weeks with good planning!

This has been run past one of the contractor??s Managers working in the area.
- ???brilliant. and half the bulk of the job is already there???, was the reply, (re the location I chose for this).
It has been run past a member of the ???NZ Contractors Federation?? who also endorsed the proposal. (This person works with major rivers etc. in the Nth Island and carries out all Fulton Hogan??s work in the area.)

I have done all the site and working plans for this, all detailed and as much as would be needed.
I understood it was best to deliver it to CERA, as they would see it was done ASAP.

It was delivered on June 20th 2011.

ken158, Sep 11, 11:45 am

2 of 2.

A few days later, I rang a couple of times. It was on a manager??s desk!
Last week I received an email advising, from a person who had started that day, it was now going to be handed onto the City Council. (Time is of the essence here for the sake of the City.)

I have witnessed weak spots in the extensions of the river banks.
When the tide is in, the water seeps below the new work.
The river banks are collapsing into the river. (Have pics)

If we get a low in the weather this could be very concerning and should the river breach the banks, as it could easily do, the river would rush through a small weak spot and would be difficult to stop (the snow ball affect) and not until a lot more damage has occurred.

I still keep a watch out on the river. so far the flooding has not been
too damaging.

ken158, Sep 11, 11:49 am

What worries me , is the salt content of the water . I'm fairly sure the fresh water sits atop the salt , but the water coming up the drains isnt from the top . salt water pushes a fair way up the river

golfaholic2, Sep 11, 3:37 pm

Could be done in 3 weeks-not a hope! Would take 3 weeks just for them to put up the road cones.

vic008, Sep 11, 6:00 pm

Have to agree with you there!

ken158, Sep 11, 8:16 pm

Just came home from work down new Brighton rd. It is very high at Locksley Cnr and flooding on the opposite side of the road. really badly.

gillian25, Sep 12, 10:21 pm

It??s amazing that the numb skulls cannot do something??.
Imagine the difference in the Avon if the sea was not able to pass the Bridge St. bridge at high tide.

They have been working on the bridge carrying out repairs for the last
few months!
Had they used the proposal I submitted, they could have saved a huge
amount of valuable funds, and could have controlled the flow from the
Estuary into the Avon at the same time??

2 jobs at the same time ?? too simple!

But it might have done a few bods out of some work!

The proposal WILL have to be carried out sometime !
Maybe its too commonsense !

ken158, Sep 14, 11:35 am

You know Ken, I am one of the "numb skulls" you refer to, or rather,I was! Because of your (and others), continued lack of respect for Council employees, I resigned in May. Are you a qualified engineer? If not, do you really think your layman skills are better than those of a qualified engineer. I enjoyed my time at Council. I worked with a wonderful, dedicated team, whose main aim was to make life better for the residents of Christchurch. As time went by, it became increasing harder to go to work and try to make a difference. There are so many people in Christchurch who don't know how to change a light bulb, but can certainly tell Council employees how roads should be built or bridges fixed. With the current attitude of ratepayers towards Council employees, (who by the way are also ratepayers), it's a wonder there's anyone left at the civic office.

fekim, Sep 14, 1:58 pm

Well said Fekim. I hope you have found another job without all the hassle. I also work in local government so I know what it's like. You can't win.

bootsy2003, Sep 14, 2:32 pm

Having had several dealings with CCC "numb skulls" , it's painfully obvious that some CCC staff should NEVER be in positions where they deal with the public.
Not only do they lack the coping skills , they lack empathy ,often having an attitude that clearly indicates that they have forgotten they are public servants

golfaholic2, Sep 14, 6:55 pm

There is a story that the guy that made the Mt Hutt ski field access road went against the advise of engineers who said it could not be done meaning that engineers are not always right in their thinking about roads eh?

cassina1, Sep 14, 7:08 pm

I had the club champ from Mcleans Island approach me one day , he nutted off about some old bag telling him he was breaking his wrists while chipping , he said "shes never played in her life , just sat thru lessons her kids had had " . I said to him , "can you see your own swing ? I cant , either you are breaking your wrists or your not" . not another word needed to be said .
In my work , I hold no official qualification , but I can assure you I know my area of my trade inside out , to a point where I can tell you that many CCC building inspectors are sadly lacking competence .
My point is , a piece of paper does NOT make you incapable of being wrong .
Also . you wouldnt have any idea what qualifications our mate Ken holds . the more numpties that leave the CCC the better .

golfaholic2, Sep 14, 7:10 pm

I know I don't know what qualifications "our mate ken holds", that is why I asked if he was an engineer. Nor did I ever suggest that a piece of paper makes me right. Judging by a lot of your posts, I get the impression you are never wrong. All I was saying was that the attitude of some people make it extremely hard for a lot of decent people to enjoy their work at the Council. Your attitude is case in point. Enjoy your evening knowing that you are much much better than those employed by Council. When was the last time you applied for a position there? One where you could make a difference. Probably never.

fekim, Sep 14, 7:58 pm

For a start that is rather amazing??.
My uncle and the late Doug Hood were the guys behind doing that road up to Mt Hutt. They were often told it could not be done?? it blawdy well was!
They were both very clever engineers in their own right.
My uncle did not like ???efing?? about?? ???there is a job to be done?? do it??!

If he had to wait for flipin Councils all the time ?? OMG !

That was just one of the jobs. I remember it all so well! Been there many times!

And Cassina1?? you are so right?? it would never have been done !

Look at the asset now??

The same as Lake Hood ?? what a great asset that has proved to be

CCC need guys like them!

Oh and fekim ??. You know me and I know you and we have met too??
You opted to resign?? don??t blame those whom you worked for??
although one would not think so by your smart ar$e remarks!
. the rate payers pay a heck of a lot every year .
you should not have bitten the hand that feeds you!

Your reference to my being a layman is objectionable ??
my skills would be far greater than yours, and a lot of the others you worked with!

ken158, Sep 14, 8:16 pm

Ken there was a story and video about the development of Mt Hutt which featured Willy Huber a few years ago. The book that was published was called White Magic

cassina1, Sep 14, 11:36 pm

I have a 16mm film and have never been able see what is on it.
Now you are making me wish to get all the 16mm gear out again
and have a look. might have to work on that now

ken158, Sep 15, 10:43 pm

Is that the film you told me about Ken ? with the two Kenyan backpackers you picked up
1974 , christ that was 40 years ago . them were the days

golfaholic2, Sep 16, 6:09 am

Bumping this thread, as i have now been hearing rumours about New Brighton Road possible being closed off and Pratt / Rawson / Baker / Palmers all being made into culder-sacs. Anoter rumour is that council are going to build a road where the redzone houses use to be and put a green belt / park where the road use to be . problem is with that there are a couple of people who are staying in the red-zone such as Zenny's dairy. If anyone can shed some light or knows any truth in these rumours lets hear it! Thanks

ljx, Nov 30, 9:14 pm

Yip, I've heard this too. From the Bower bridge to New Brighton bridge, there will be no road to use. Zenny is staying there as she had no insurance.

suka, Dec 1, 12:40 pm

I dont think closing that road is a bad idea at all. Nature is slowly reclaiming what shouldn't be there (houses and roads). Yes i know Zenny didnt have insurance, and good on her for staying there. I just want to know how the will resolve it all and when anything will happen. Does anyone living around that area think its a good idea? The dead end streets could really work.

ljx, Dec 1, 2:54 pm

I thought you put the road cones out before they painted the road markings? What are you saying your role was now?

jcmp21, Dec 1, 2:59 pm

Yep all the experts on any thing are all here in this thread.

fineo, Dec 1, 3:32 pm

Just about a week ago I met up with Doug Hood??s Son. Had a quite a long chat.

Very good!

Worth the bump!

ken158, Apr 22, 2:33 am

Share this thread