Cyclist fined for impeding traffic -Dyers Pass rd

Fair call :) Some cycle lanes are of poor desighn to tho and some riders will be out further to be away from car doors etc. I see how it could be frustrating though

stojo, Jun 23, 6:56 pm

Remember the great Port Hills mamil fight of 2012?, one mamil wouldn't get off the track for a faster mamil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzAG7ALbPac

hunter__, Jun 23, 7:10 pm

blb71 wrote:
What if the driver felt unsafe to do so? Many cyclist can be unpredictable,

He is a middle aged guy who's been cycle commuting on that route for 18 years. One would assume he was a reasonably safe road using cyclist.

trogedon, Jun 23, 7:11 pm

This has NOTHING to do with the discussion. Voted - off.

trogedon, Jun 23, 7:12 pm

It would be good to see wider cycles lanes in more places. Along with wider roads in general.

blb71, Jun 23, 7:12 pm

Amen.

trogedon, Jun 23, 7:15 pm

[/quote=trogedon]blb71 wrote:
-
What if the driver felt unsafe to do so? Many cyclist can be unpredictable,

He is a middle aged guy who's been cycle commuting on that route for 18 years. One would assume he was a reasonably safe road using cyclist.[quote]

If I may be honest. It is the middle aged men that are all decked out in cycling gear that I find to be the worst cyclists. Not all but a hell of a lot. Just like many older drivers are not so safe either. It is not only the young ones. Many years of driving/cycling is not an automatic ticket to be safe on the road.

blb71, Jun 23, 7:23 pm

So the cop & the judge got it wrong, you embarrass me as a fellow cyclist.

likit, Jun 23, 8:03 pm

It's my opinion, one I'm entitled to, you are entitled to your opinion.You seem to have trouble understanding that.

likit, Jun 23, 8:07 pm

How many times do you need to hear that he wasn't as far left as he could have been?

I'm giving up talking to brick walls.

astrophe, Jun 23, 8:09 pm

You seem to be referring to city driving whereas I'm referring to more open road, wasn't the Port Hills incident on a 80km/hr speed zone, I'm not sure.

likit, Jun 23, 8:09 pm

The police officer, however, was THERE.

astrophe, Jun 23, 8:10 pm

The driver knew that this guy had been cycling for 18 years?

You reckon?

astrophe, Jun 23, 8:11 pm

You've misquoted me there
how can he pass judgement on what is reasonably practical & safe? The only one who can is the rider

stojo, Jun 23, 8:28 pm

Can anyone else see what is the wrong with the position above, anyone?

archereon, Jun 23, 8:36 pm

ive been cycling this route since 1982 , I figure i've probably climbed this hill 2 - 3000 times (and It never gets easier) - I ride hard left and even occasionally signal vehicles to pass .

in those years I've had all sorts of shit thrown at me out of windows , abuse , cars pass with the most minimal clearances , 1 car stop in the middle road with 2 guys jumping out wanting to fight,car vs car blind corner overtaking , a wave of carnage with cars on their roofs or down the hill ,boy racers who see you as 10 points and cyclists with smiles on their faces. i wonder what Harry Ell would make of all this - his vision was for everyone to capture the beauty of these hills

Trog ,how are ya?

bergkamp, Jun 23, 8:41 pm

Please tell me

stojo, Jun 23, 8:41 pm

Unfortunately there are idiot motorists & cyclists

likit, Jun 23, 8:52 pm

One, what the bicyclist or the news report did not even comment on was where the motorcycle cop was during the incident. Maybe right behind the van. Probably quite likely if he was determine it was the geezer on the push bike who deserved the ticket.
Two, if only the bicyclist can determine whether it was safe to let the van pass, then you are creating a condition when bicyclists are never in the wrong, and that would be a very bad precedent to set
Three, as a motorist, I would never behave in the way that bergkamps post describes, but I am not all motorists,just as there are bad drivers, however there are also rude and arrogant bicyclists who should not be on the road. The difference is, there are more methods of getting bad drivers off the road than there are of getting bad bicyclists off the road.
http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/bicycle/2010/11/30/bike_license450x286.jpg

archereon, Jun 23, 8:58 pm

It's the policeman's job to judge things like that.

doggitt, Jun 23, 9:01 pm

up there , in all these years , the idiot motorist would easily outnumber the idiot cyclist 100 to 1 . why ?how? because the cyclist has everything to lose .

bergkamp, Jun 23, 9:12 pm

No he wasn't obeying the road rules and was proved in court

andrewcg53, Jun 23, 9:16 pm

Cops sometimes get things wrong and he did in this case. The cyclist was riding to the left of the road and the vehicle following was the one that was holding up traffic.

irenew, Jun 23, 9:22 pm

Actually if you take into account 'risk compensation' and bicycle helmet laws which makes some bicyclists feel bullet proof, you get problems. Bicycle helmets are designed to protect your head from bike falls not windscreens.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21418079 http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/7/2/89.full http://www.copenhagenize.com/2014/01/risk-compensation-observations-in.html

archereon, Jun 23, 9:31 pm

So bicyclists are never in the wrong?

archereon, Jun 23, 9:31 pm

In the original news article it said the cyclist had footage of the event. He has a rear facing camera mounted on his handlebars.

puddleduck00, Jun 23, 9:37 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/69461860/christchurch-cyclist-alex-mann-fined-for-impeding-traffic-on-port-hills
On this occasion, a van began following him just before he reached Victoria Park. The driver failed to overtake on a straight section before attempting the manoeuvre on a blind corner.

Mann said he moved into the lane as the turn was too narrow to stay left, as the New Zealand road code recommends.

After 90 seconds, the van overtook when a police officer rode up alongside him on a motorcycle and fined him. Mann contested the ticket in court last month, but was unsuccessful.

The cop was watching the bicyclists riding.
It probably did not help that Mann spent 16 minutes arguing with the cop.
The original story does not say anything about a rear facing camera.

archereon, Jun 23, 9:44 pm

yes , this is the attitude we should follow .

motorist vs cyclist in Holland - the motorist is always wrong - one looks out for cyclists when one is driving .

in Berlin you just cannot get hit by a car no matter how erratic your cycling is !

obviously we are not in Europe and Europe is 20 years ahead of us - but this is the change we should be heading for .

bergkamp, Jun 23, 9:46 pm

risk compensation exists . but whats your point ? do you think we cyclists do not understand dangerous everything is when we wear helmets ?
Helmets should be optional by the way

bergkamp, Jun 23, 9:49 pm

You are not all bicyclists.
There are bicyclists who think the helmet, and a fair bit of arrogance makes them king of the road.

archereon, Jun 23, 9:52 pm

Read what they WROTE. Cops are sometimes wrong.

trogedon, Jun 23, 9:52 pm

So a cyclist rides through a red light & T bones a motorist the motorist is to blame or a cyclist runs up the rear end of a car waiting at a red light, the motorist is to blame & you say they are 20 years ahead of us! I'm thankful we are 20 years behind them, wish it was 30

likit, Jun 23, 9:53 pm

Name us a few cyclists who think that. Name names or does this misbelief just come from your mind?

trogedon, Jun 23, 9:53 pm

Cyclists don't "drives" they ride but really this has NOTHING to do with the thread.

trogedon, Jun 23, 9:54 pm

The VAN driver failed to overtake. Good that we're getting to the heart of it.

trogedon, Jun 23, 9:56 pm

NOTHING to do with the thread.

trogedon, Jun 23, 9:57 pm

Hi Berg. How are you doing?
Must be cold holding the hammer at this time of year!

trogedon, Jun 23, 9:59 pm

I stretched a point to make a point , certainly the onus is on the motorist to look out for cyclists -BTW LTSA stats in NZ state that most car vs cyclist accidents are the fault of the motorist .

bergkamp, Jun 23, 10:00 pm

The video evidence which we do not have access to did not convince the judge/jpor the police officer who fined the bicyclist who was close enough to stop the bicyclist as soon as the van was able to get past, so we only have the word of the aggrieved and fined bicyclist. Again you seem to be taking the bicyclist at his word and automatically assuming that the motorist is in the wrong. Motorists can be in the wrong, so can bicyclists.

archereon, Jun 23, 10:01 pm

Bicyclist behaviour in a thread about bicyclists and their behaviour is nothing to do with the thread?

archereon, Jun 23, 10:02 pm

well I'm ashamed to say my main tool has become a laptop , in town EQ strengthening , hows the teaching?-

bergkamp, Jun 23, 10:04 pm

I guess the OP point of the thread was what is better for society , more bikes or more cars

bergkamp, Jun 23, 10:06 pm

The cyclist took it to court and was proved to be in the wrong by a judge.

andrewcg53, Jun 23, 10:08 pm

I must say this decision really surprised me , it really does set a precedent.

bergkamp, Jun 23, 10:19 pm

So what you are saying is that the cyclists own camera got him the fine and then he complained about it?

blb71, Jun 24, 6:59 am

So what you are saying is that all the responsibility should be on the motorist and none on the cyclist? Doesn't sound right to me. Perhaps cyclist should pay ACC and registration like all the other road users on the road do. Registering their bike would be a great start too. Throw a number plate on it so that they can be reported for dangerous riding. Oh I forgot. its always the motorists fault.

blb71, Jun 24, 7:03 am

Yes, all the cyclist in Europe apparently.

blb71, Jun 24, 7:44 am

What are the rights of appeal? Surely the rider can disagree with findings of of unqualified JP's.

bandit101, Jun 24, 7:49 am

Yes. All the onus is on the car / truck driver to keep roads as safe as possible because they are able to maim and kill with their driving habits. If you are unable to take that responsibility whenever you get in your vehicle maybe you should give your licece back.
And yes. Police get the rules wrong and so to do jps. I think this may go to appeal

tmc1, Apr 13, 2:17 am

Share this thread