Do chch uni students have school holidays? Page 1 / 2

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 4:56am
just trying to sort myself out getting back into study but need to weigh up what is going to be best for me and my daughter but my sister seems to think that uni students don't get school holidays like the polytech does to match in with the kids school holidays.A heads up on this would be great

mary-may, Aug 12, 4:59am
There's some overlap, but no, not completely matched up.

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 5:01am
oh bugger, so just it just run one semester into the next!

macaroni.pony, Aug 12, 5:01am
I'm at UC and our holidays are the weeks of the 20th and 27th of this month :)

macaroni.pony, Aug 12, 5:02am
We have already had semester break, 6ish weeks ago. But the next lot of holidays are quickly approaching :)

macaroni.pony, Aug 12, 5:03am
Each semester is 12 weeks long, made up of 2 lots of 6 weeks with a 2 week break in the middle. Sorry for multiple posts!

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 5:07am
no, all good mate, sorry, just trying to get my bearings, do you have kids by chance!It would be so much more convenient for me to go to uc but i am a single mum and am nervous about not having time for my daughter

mbos, Aug 12, 5:11am
I did full time at uni with kids.Sometimes there was a week here, or a week there, where the holidays didn't match up.One thing that we tended to do, was get to know one another, and if we couldn't attend a lecture, we could borrow someone else's notes for it, and vice versa.My kids loved school holiday program as a bit of a treat, when there was no overlap, as well.

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 5:15am
awesome mbos, thankyou so much.Am terrified doing this as a 'mature' student, let alone the fact i am a single mum.I am looking at 4years but hoping to do it without jeopardising my time with my daughter.Can I ask how you got on!Did you study fulltime and how did it impact on your home life eg, time with the kids, financially, balance of time for you etc

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 5:15am
oops, sorry, i re read, you were full time

chukka3, Aug 12, 5:18am
Most lectures are videoed now and you can access them via the learn moodle site. So you could watch them at home during the holidays. Although in saying that, some tutorials are compulsory attendance but they're usually only an hour.

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 5:20am
ha, awesome, lovin' technology!Cheers chukka

mbos, Aug 12, 5:21am
I was fulltime, with two daughters.I started when they were pre-school age.While I had a partner, that was all I had in the way of support, and he has a very demanding job.Financially, that meant I was lucky.But it meant it was pretty much down to me if the wheels fell off, and childcare needs conflicted with uni!

There are LOTS of mature students there now.You will not look out of place.

What I found was that I had to be very disciplined, I noted all my assignments etc in a diary, and made sure they were done - no asking for extensions.When at uni, I focussed on uni, when at home, I focussed on home.The period between 3pm and bedtime was the kids - no uni work.

I made sure I had a meal plan, and lunches done at night, uniforms and clothes out ready to go, meat out of the fridge etc, before I went to uni.After the kids went to bed, I could do study.

If the kids were sick, then I was at home with them.The kids were always priority number 1.

In the weekends, I made sure we did something each day that we enjoyed together, and got things ready for the week ahead - ironing done, baking done, shoes polished, that kind of thing.

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 5:27am
thankyou so much mbos, that is really heartening.I am very lucky as i have a great support network but your paragraph has put my mind at ease.I guess it will just take a bit to get used to the new swing of things.I am feeling much better now (potential panic attack fading, tehe)The way you managed things sounds very do-able for me.Thanks again :)

mbos, Aug 12, 5:31am
Something that has helped a lot of my friends who had been out of tertiary education, or hadn't done it before, was doing the courses on writing essays, and assignments, and things like that.

sara02, Aug 12, 5:37am
Hi punkeemunkee.I am a 'mature' (yeah right) student, and a single parent. only one of my papers is recorded and placed on learn; the rest are 'bum on seat or miss out'. i pick my papers based on lecture times so most ofmy lectures are during school hours. The first set of school holidays completely match, the second school holidays lectures resumed on the kids second week off. i cant recall exactly, but i am sure that the upcoming holidays have no crossover what-so-ever, however my kids really enjoy all the different activities the school holiday programmes have to offer. What were you thinking of studying!

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 5:41am
thanks sara.Can i ask how hard it was financially!

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 5:42am
oh, and am looking at social work

sara02, Aug 12, 6:02am
in all honesty, studying is killing me financially. every week is a constant struggle/juggling act. Out of the standard dpb, you need to allow for daily petrol costs to uni, childcare if necessary, paper, printing etc.:(

sara02, Aug 12, 6:04am
i have done a few social work/human services papers but prefer psych myself. You'll find there are a lot of 'mature students' studying social work.:)

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 6:21am
Thankyou very much for your honesty sara, the financial side scares the buggary out of me but i just want to make a good life for me and my child one day and hopefully that will be enough to keep my eyes on the prize

punkeemunkee79, Aug 12, 6:24am
i spoke to winz the other day about the training incentive allowance, do you use that for petrol etc!

sara02, Aug 12, 6:44am
unfortunately tertiary study makes us ineligible for the training incentive allowance. Yes, 'eyes on the prize' is the only thing that has kept me going at times. Also, be prepared for SOME case managers at work and income to 'advise' you to quit uni and get a day time job - unfortunately this happens at times. As negative as my posts may seem, studying is the best choice i have ever made, and provides me with hope of being a 'somebody' and NEVER having to rely on government assistance ever again.

erinlouise2, Aug 12, 7:47am
i did social work at uni as a single parent, in the end there weren't that many mature students as had started out. I had expected more. It is do- able you just have to focus. My daughter was 3 when i started and 7 when i finished. We had goals that she knew as well like she got to choose a treat that i would buy with my first pay cheque - she got a 5 scoop ice cream, and just this year (she's 10) we went to australia. 'eyes on the prize' as sara said.

lambrat, Aug 12, 7:49am
same . it worked out ok, give or take a week here and there.
and i believe there is more technology now where in many courses you can view the actual lecture, not just the notes!

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)