Bubble wrap on windows questions Page 5 out of 9

If you have wood framed windows is it better to stick it to the wood, or directly on to the glass window! Sounds like all who have applied it are very happy with the results. Thanks to the person that started the thread.

paddaricko, Jun 16, 2012, 3:48 pm

directly to the glass

lambrat, Jun 16, 2012, 4:10 pm

it doesn't really stick to frames, so on the top it will be too heavy and come down.
although you can cut a bit longer to have a little flap hanging at the bottom.

fresiaa, Jun 16, 2012, 4:31 pm

you can also try to cut it a bit larger, pop the bubbles on the sides and squeeze it into the frame (a little tape perhaps). You don't need water with this method, and it will seal any gaps in the frame

fresiaa, Jun 16, 2012, 4:34 pm

Looks really budget but I am trying it. Seems warmer already.

ustr28, Jun 16, 2012, 4:57 pm

yes and yes, lol.

lambrat, Jun 16, 2012, 5:02 pm

Tried it last night in one bedroom, sprayed water with little bit dish wash liquid on the glass and the bubble wrap stuck to it. No condensation in the morning and noticeable warmer.

cessna3, Jun 16, 2012, 5:29 pm

We have bubble wrap on most of the windows, but we have a problem and hope someone can help.We have condensation on some of the bubblewrap (not the bubbly piece but the flat side) either cause by the shower or have no idea.

orion2, Jun 16, 2012, 11:58 pm

you mean the outer side, not the bit against the window!
i just get a handtowel and wipe it carefully,
the lower piece of bubblewrap on my bathroom window peels itself off due to the weight of hot-water condensation too.
another window elsewhere has a bit of ordinary condensation between the window and the bubblewrap but putting my hand against it, its still working as an insulator, nowhere near as cold as the bare windowpane.

lambrat, Jun 17, 2012, 12:36 am

The person who wrote that "builditsolar" website
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/bubblewrap.htm
was experimenting with a double layer -- this could work for a really condensation-prone window like the bathroom. They used the same procedure, spraying the flat side of the first layer with water and pressing the 2nd layer against it. It seemed to work.

You would totally lose the view, but would probably still get quite a bit of diffuse light coming through.

luluweezie, Jun 17, 2012, 6:53 am

we just did the bathroom, toilet, and our bedroom (only have a view of the back fence anyway) textured glass in bathroom/toilet, so it wouldn't stick, we used the small normal bubbles, just taped it on, what a difference already!~we done got them fancy rich-folk winders now. got us some bubble-glazing :P

deflatedpumpkin, Jun 18, 2012, 8:28 pm

Lol, 'bubble-glazing' that's perfect :)

bucca11, Jun 18, 2012, 8:33 pm

lol :D we shared the TM wisdom today too, got bubble wrap from office max today, $10 for 10m, told the young guy what we were using it for, his eyes widened like saucers, then he told us about how cold the house is where he lives. he asked where we heard about it, told him i'd googled the stick-on/shrink with hairdryer stuff, and the cheaper bubblewrap solution, and that it's also on TM, he sounded really excited. i think we have another convert LOL

deflatedpumpkin, Jun 18, 2012, 9:02 pm

Buy it in bulk at any chemical supplies place. It generally comes in 25 kg bags for a similar price to the little refills. It is Calcium Chloride, and is used in food industries and in swimming pools. and also given to dairy cows.
Buy it cheaply in bulk at any chemical supplies place. It generally comes in 25 kg bags for a similar price to the little refills. You will need to store it in an airtight container.

peoplespace, Jun 19, 2012, 9:15 am

Awesome thread! Thank you everyone - going to try this asap!

p1glet, Jun 19, 2012, 1:09 pm

Shannon Lush, the "Stain Lady" on Radio Live says that you can just use ordinary blackboard chalk.Tie them together with a ribbon, and let the sticks absorb the damp.They can be used over and over if you take them out of the room and let them dry out in the sun.

sumstyle, Jun 19, 2012, 2:51 pm

You can use chalk but it won't absorb nearly as much water as Calcium chloride. If you had a place you could leave the liquid to evaporate in trays outside you could easily reuse that too.

peoplespace, Jun 19, 2012, 4:28 pm

Well I have to say Im impressed and am definitely a bubble wrap convert! After some research around pricing, I found that Bunnings was reasonably cheap. $10.80 for 10 metres.I bubble wrapped my bathroom and toilet windows (Aluminium) and the back door one as well.The glass is super bubbly rough and it took a while to get everything to stick.I used some dish detergent in the water spray and then "soaped" up the glass.So far there has been no sopping wet window sills and the 2 rooms definitely are nt as cold!Going to do the bottoms of my ranch sliders and the spare room next.Many thanks for everyones contributions on ideas here:)

dinky7051, Jun 19, 2012, 9:31 pm

Have read the whole thread on Sunday morning, and having never heard of this before, I now cant wait to try it!Already bought a 60 metre roll of 50cm wide (exactly right for almost all our windows) for just $23 off here. I'm quite excited LoL

kiwikatt, Jun 19, 2012, 9:43 pm

Did mine this afternoon. Got 30m for $26 from Warehouse Stationary. Have done huge picture windows in lounge and five windows in my bedroom. About halfway through the roll. Can already notice the difference in the lounge!

p1glet, Jun 19, 2012, 10:06 pm

sponsored links

Leave a comment No registration required

Comment required
Your nickname optional
You are not a robot, are you?

Enter what you see above required