Bubble wrap on windows questions

Hi there. Does this really help keep house warm! Silly question but are the bubbles facing glass or the room! Best way to stick to glass! Any other heating ideas on budget would be appreciated. Thanx in advance.

neko555, Jun 10, 11:19 pm

Can't see why it wouldn't work.
Plenty of websites and you tube videos to show you how it's done

sunshinemegs, Jun 10, 11:33 pm

Have you looked into the "proper" plastic film that sticks on to the window frame with double-sided tape! You shrink it taut with a hairdryer after fitting it. The end result is almost invisible (not good for kids or cats, for that reason) and is usually preferable to bubble wrap in any window you might want to look out of. You can get it in Mitre10 among other places.

Anything that seals off draughts and makes a still-air gap between your room and the outside window pane is a good thing.

daisyhill, Jun 10, 11:35 pm

yes, this is great - and almost as efficient as the retro-fitted double glazing you pay thousands for (according to a BRANZ study)
YOU can by online too . here.
http://www.energywise.govt.nz/how-to-be-energy-efficient/your-house/insulation/window-insulation

$30 will do a lot of windows! And it's not overly visible if done correctly. YOu can take it off in summer if you want. Best time to install is March as any moisture in thewood will get trappped.We have it and virtually no condensation at all in unheated rooms and none at all in the heated room.

bookshelves, Jun 11, 7:17 am

I've used this film for years - brilliant!

jaybee116, Jun 11, 7:20 am

My sister and I have both done this - it makes a surprising difference so a very cost effective choice.Also you can see through it quite clearly which you wouldn't be able to do with bubble wrap

supersapper, Jun 11, 7:38 am

Yes, visitors don't even notice it on the windows unless I point it out.I was very skeptical, but am now a convert and believe it's one of the cheapest things you can do to get a warmer home.

bookshelves, Jun 11, 8:01 am

The bubble wrap idea works really well on toilet or bathroom windows which are frosted anyway and those rooms are usually on the cold side of the house. After cutting bubble wrap to size I dampened the window with a wet pastry brush and pressed it on starting at the top and using the flat of my hand to move it into place.Mine has been on for weeks and feels warm to touch.You put the bubble side against the window.
I agree the clear wrap does distort the view but only minimally, it's downfall is that it's no good with a family of small kids, cats and dogs as my daughter found within a few days.
Try Warehouse, Postshop, Warehouse Stationery for a small roll of bubble wrap.

room41, Jun 11, 8:53 am

Can someone please explain why the clear wrap stuck to the window is no good with kids, cats or dogs!

antonios1, Jun 11, 9:44 am

They will poke holes in it. Even if you think they won't, they will. There is not a child in the universe that can sit on the potty and look out the window without trying to stick a finger through the film. And cats just have to touch it with one claw. And dogs push their noses into it, because they forget it's there.

luluweezie, Jun 11, 9:49 am

Its not stuck straight on the window.its on the frame so there is a gap between the film and the window like double glazing:)

chookness, Jun 11, 10:08 am

I have 2 cats and have had the film on for 3 winters - no holes caused by them .

bookshelves, Jun 11, 10:16 am

denise662, Jun 11, 11:32 am

I thought this method sounded like it would probably work better than the clear film method; but according to the BRANZ study, the clear film actually keeps more warm air inside the room!

luluweezie, Jun 11, 12:19 pm

We did the laundry/toilet ( south side ) last weekend with bubble wrap, made a huge difference allready!
No more condensation & warmer.

rcox, Jun 11, 4:59 pm

i checked the price of nzpost's bubblewrap, 3m x 30cm wide is $4.99
then found a chch seller on trademe for a 60m x 65cm wide roll $60
and a recent expired listing for 30cm wide x 50m for $26 i think it was .
nzpost are sure making a killing, lol

lambrat, Jun 11, 5:20 pm

office max seems the cheapest i could find in chch, i think it was 1300mm x 30m - $45.99

deflatedpumpkin, Jun 11, 5:53 pm

i just saw 30cm wide x 100m for $27 on the warehouse stationery site.

i've just put what bits of bubblewrap i did have here onto a couple of windows to see how they handle it. two pieces on each window.
they went on easily and if they're still hanging in there in a couple of days i'll do some more. like the bathroom for a start, lol

lambrat, Jun 11, 8:11 pm

Will this work on aluminium frames! Our rental gets bad condensation. Am wondering if it is worth me looking at getting some bubble wraps.

materna, Jun 11, 8:20 pm

so were can we buy the clear cover,i couldnt seee were to buy online.

coolcharmgirl1, Jun 11, 8:26 pm

I got mine from the link I posted above, but I see their retail shop link is broken.

There is this .

http://www.350.org.nz/our-projects/Window-insulation-kits

Just did a search for "window insulation" on ebay - heaps there.

Not the best time of year to do though as the window frames should be bone dry .if you put on now I would re-do at the tail end of next summer.

bookshelves, Jun 11, 8:53 pm

Also Community Energy Action (in New Brighton) sells the clear film, it's $20/roll which is enough to do about 3 average windows. To be honest, the bubble wrap is way easier to use -- I've tried both and wouldn't bother with the film anymore. The only down side to the bubble wrap is if you have a view that you love.

luluweezie, Jun 11, 8:59 pm

But whats a average size window ! i have heaps of large windows to do and are trying to work out roughly what it would cost. The link for c ation to buy doesnt work.

coolcharmgirl1, Jun 11, 9:03 pm

sorry my blondeness here, How do you stick the bubble wrap! I would love to try this in my cold rooms. Do you stick to window or frame!

liam2002, Jun 11, 9:21 pm

bella430, Jun 11, 9:35 pm

All instructions are there above. A fine film of water sprayed on with a plastic spray bottle does the trick.

bella430, Jun 11, 9:36 pm

i have plenty of big windows too so i'm experimenting with a partial cover ofa large window . covering only the top 3/4 so the cats can still see out the window and maybe they won't get too curious about the bubblewrap.

all you need is some water in a spray bottle and a handtowel to wipe down any overspray.

lambrat, Jun 11, 9:43 pm

I can do bubble wrap 650 wide and 60 mtrs on a roll for only $38 if you are interested let me know and i will list

dogrover, Jun 11, 9:46 pm

thanks so much, my 13 year old has nothing exciting to see out of her windows, so bubble wrap sounds like a great idea!

kelsta2, Jun 11, 9:47 pm

i am!.pick up from what area, thanks

kelsta2, Jun 11, 9:47 pm

lincoln or 5 bucks delivered

dogrover, Jun 11, 9:49 pm

ok, wouldnt consider $40 all up!

kelsta2, Jun 11, 9:50 pm

yep that be fine - I cant top up me acct till tomorrow is that ok!

dogrover, Jun 11, 9:52 pm

yup, sweet as, sounds awesome.my daughters room will be easier to heat up now!

kelsta2, Jun 11, 9:53 pm

^^ darn it i'm too slow.

lambrat, Jun 11, 9:55 pm

K I will post auction details tomorrow and do a buy now for you of 40 inc freight to your chch addy

dogrover, Jun 11, 9:56 pm

CHCH delivered I can do for $40 buy now - let me know interest and I will set up auctions as needed - as from tomorrow

dogrover, Jun 11, 9:58 pm

I got ya flannel - I love the filthy flannels

dogrover, Jun 11, 10:01 pm

Do you have more, or just the 1 roll! I would definitely be keen!

luluweezie, Jun 11, 10:05 pm

Warehouse Stationery have rolls in different widths and sizes and often do a special. Worth a look.

bella430, Jun 11, 10:13 pm

lulweezie I have more

dogrover, Jun 11, 10:16 pm

Great -- I'll look forward to your many Buy Now auctions tomorrow!

ETA: Or just shoot me a note through my classified listing.

luluweezie, Jun 11, 10:25 pm

anyone want to go halves on a roll!

lambrat, Jun 11, 11:07 pm

My experience with bubblewrap is that it doesn't stick on the bubble side. So I did everything on the flat side. It is less insulating, I suppose, but still a great result.

Some sheltered windows I have doublesided by sticking bubble wrap on the outside as well. Maybe any window could be done doublesided, but perhaps rain and wind would blow it away.

The next day I found the windows on the sunny side "drying up" and the bubble wrap fell off. I decided to cut new, slightly larger pieces, and pop the bubbles on the side, so a tiny rim can be squeezed in between an opening window and the frame. Bubbleside to the window this time. Works well!

I had free bubblewrap from a friends workplace, where it was going to the rubbish.

As for film, I recommend to stick it on the front of the frame and not on the inside (on an angle) as some instruction videos do. The shrunken film pulls quite hard on the tape, what results in leaks and recurring wrinkles, so the best result is to have the tape flat in the same direction as the film. (If you understand what i mean). I have to redo two windows because it just doesn't stay on on a 90 degree angle.

fresiaa, Jun 12, 12:56 am

interesting

chrisr5, Jun 12, 2:21 am

I've had the same problem with film always pulling away when applied inside the window frames. And if it doesn't make a complete seal, it's letting the heat escape. But when I put it over the top of the entire window, I lose the use of the windowsill as a place to put things, which I find irritating. That's why I prefer the bubblewrap.

The bubblewrap that you got for free -- was it used! I wonder if that could be why it was falling off! I've only used new bubblewrap, straight off the roll, and never had any trouble with it falling off. I've never tried putting it on the outside of the glass though -- might give that a go. Triple-glazing!

luluweezie, Jun 12, 7:17 am

i might later tonight! LOLsee how it goes.

kelsta2, Jun 12, 7:18 am

Does the film work on aluminium framed windows or is it just for wood!

donna_marie, Jun 12, 9:52 am

you can use it on any window, the stuff i put up yesterday is still all good, so it seems you don't even have to clean them totally first, lol.
all the windows i've done so far are those that do not get direct sun.

lambrat, Jun 12, 10:54 am

I'm experimenting in my bedroom now with putting it up in the evening (spray and stick and close the curtain) and taking it down in the morning.

As it is humid, I don't know yet if it is a good idea or not.

fresiaa, Jun 12, 12:37 pm

Share this thread