Abbey Bells

dreamingofbali, Apr 28, 1:07pm
This thread is from a year ago, April 2011,and is about to disappear off the forum - so am bumping, because. well, because clearly back then we most of us never would have dreamed that the Cathedral could ever be slated for total demolition! What a difference a year makes, aye.

Hard not to tear up listening to the cathedral bells in the video link above. So what's going to happen to them now!

slimgym, Apr 28, 4:21pm
St Micheals ring their bells they mean alot more to me, because I used to work in town and would hear them all the time

olwen, Apr 28, 7:39pm
Some of the bells are cracked I think.But they could be fixed or recastat the foundry in England

retroqueen1, Apr 30, 10:16am
I had a tear to my eye when I heard the bells ring out at the Abbey while watching the Royal wedding knowing the CHCH Cathedral bells have been silenced by that b***h Mother Nature.

dongould, Apr 30, 10:31am
I noted with interest reference to fixing the cath, the bisil but not the arts center, in the press today.

The bells will be back.

retroqueen1, Apr 30, 10:32am
The Bells better be back or I will stamp my feet in anger

olwen, Apr 30, 10:56am
When the bells are back it will be a celebration of Christchurch.

Are the bells themselves broken!If not they could rig up a temporary frame. I read that was done before the Wellington carillion was installed in it's tower.

lisa418, May 1, 6:54am
I thought the very same thing!

tomytidlemouse, May 1, 6:57am
that makes me so sad - would love to her them again

lambrat, May 1, 6:58am
Nice one :)

suzyf, May 1, 7:25am
Are the bells still ok,any damage I mean!

kimmyflo, May 1, 9:21am
A solidier on a cordon told me he saw them still lying on the ground :0(

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)