My toilet erupted yesterday

My husband and I woke at 3.45am this morning to the loud sound of the toilet in our ensuite back flushing. I fumbled around to find the light switch in the bathroom and the water was almost up to the top of the bowl . then all of a sudden it sucked down. Yes, there just happned to be one of those suction trucks at the end of our drive at that time of the bloody morning. Lights flashing, men out there joking / talking loudly and having a fag with their truck running for about half an hour. NOT IMPRESSED. We are in Parklands (the good bit) Imagine my horror when I was driving home and get a text from hubby to say he got home to the mess of the toilet explosion all over the floor and wall. CRAP . well not quite, just toilet paper and watery substance. What a mess!

trendy_kids, Apr 5, 10:52 pm

Take no notice of young Andrew Weasel he is the product of an eruption

cloffie, Apr 5, 11:26 pm

wow this thread is almost a year old -I got a big surprise to see I had replied to it until I realize its from June of last year~ way back when I used to live in Chch - and for the record we didnt get to flush our loo until mid september and then being ungrateful we moved out in November LOL Thanks to Lizzy for buying our place

iamkat, Apr 6, 12:38 am

all of our drainage is blocked and playing up since the work on the st has been situated righ outside our house.hope its cos of them not a plumbing issue

madclan, Apr 6, 6:16 am

Haha iamkat I thought it was a new thread until I read my post too!Just an update though. we had the dreaded blowback!It was really yucky there was water and bits of melted toilet paper everywhere.I probably should've called the council but we only have one bathroom here which has the toilet, bath and shower in it so I couldn't have waited for a day while they sent out a cleaner.
Because we were using the chem loo, after I'd cleaned everything, the flush toilet was closed and weighted with a 10 ltr paint pail.Months later when we got our laterals fixed I lifted the lid and there was the nastiest red mould/alien growing on the underside.I must not have gone over that part with the disinfectant!Totally gross but none of us got sick so I must've done an alright job with the cleaning lol

craftee, Apr 6, 8:12 am

similar option friends of mine use is one of the big old mops (wet to make weight) tied up in a garbage bag and stuffed into their toilet.

bantamus, Apr 6, 8:55 am

if you can access your cistern easily enough; put napisan, bleach or similar in it; keeps the whole bowl and under the rim sparkling

bantamus, Apr 6, 8:57 am

The thread is old, but bumped yesterday by tredny_kids who said that this happened to her household yesterday!

sumstyle, Apr 6, 9:00 am

yes; not sure what area they are in exactly but have friends still working on getting out of a badly hit red zone and every so often the sewerage goes nuts and the toilet gurgles and carries on like its got indigestion.

bantamus, Apr 6, 9:03 am

I guess theres still alot of problems out there, yesterday I saw three hydro trucks go past during the day, (Sumner) heading towards the back near Van Ash, I'm always glad when they don't stop in my street!

nz_nicola, Apr 6, 9:41 am

Thanks for the tip bantamus :)

And that dreaded gurlging noise is one that stikes fear into the hearts of all Cantabrians lol.Our drains had been gurgling and we got the blowback maybe a month later on the next street suck. if your drains are gurgling it's best to take precautions with your toilet.Better safe than sorry!

craftee, Apr 6, 10:15 am

Hi again, we are in Tumara Park, Parklands area . yeah I was damn suprised when this happened yesterday so looked in the search thngee on the left to look up old conversations and was suprised thats its a reglular thing happening in our town still! YUKKY

trendy_kids, Apr 6, 9:22 pm

We have just had a letter drop to say they will be down our street over the next 20days so do gladwrap, lid down bricks or mags on top. All well and good but our 5yr old nearly wet herself the other day by the time she took the heavy mags off lol. did also give us a number for the cleaners to come if it does happen.

griff30, Apr 7, 9:49 pm

They were outstide our place last sun/mon.Nice man came and let me know they were going to do it.

nzwhisky, Apr 9, 9:49 pm

Was out and about for a couple of hours yesterday and was disgusted when I got home at the smell eminating down my hallway.
Looking into the toilet there was water everywhere.
So I got on the phone and rung the council about what had happened.A guy took my number and told me someone would be ringing me.This morning someone did and they are sending out a cleaner.Thank you council for cleaning up after yourselves when shit happens

orloc1, Jun 4, 10:51 am

Im taking care for this not to happen to me. I keep the lid down at all times with a 2 litre bottle of water on it to weigh it down.

theoldknitwit, Jun 4, 10:54 am

It happens a bit i think when they are clearing the waste pipes butnguess most of you allready no that. Its good that the counicl are helping by cleaning up

nicsta4, Jun 4, 10:58 am

I have the lid closed with something on top too when I see them in the street and usually nothing happens - hadnt seen an eruption for ages.

orloc1, Jun 4, 11:00 am

from what I have been told that isn't enough :(We were doing the same but apparently the pressure can be much greater than expected.

wizzball, Jun 4, 11:07 am

Lift the lid, put plastic wrap across the bowl, then a towel (which will fill the space between the plastic wrap and the seat);close the rim and then the lid and then put a heavy article on it, such as a brick or even several bricks, because the pressure could lift the lid if a heavy weight wasn't on top.

lankylass, Jun 4, 11:49 am

Oh god! how awful, have heard of this happening, my drains (the plug holes in the sink) have been making lots of gurgling noises lately, whats that about! anyone else!

tandj3, Jun 4, 12:15 pm

I wish they could do a quick whip around the day beofre or leave a wee card. It came as such a shock when it happened to me but i didnt know you could call the council.
Paying someone $13 an hour or whatever the min wage is to walk around the streets the day before would surely be cheaper.and one less unemployed person :s

-weasel-, Jun 4, 12:21 pm

What area are you in Orloc!
When I left home this morning we had 3 trucks a digger and a wee man manning the road cones just down our street - we are in avonside just off retreat road ----------- maybe we will join the ranks of the flushers again soon - and then after we get out laterals fixed that is!

iamkat, Jun 4, 12:24 pm

Are you for real! Clean it up yourself!

andrewgray, Jun 4, 12:29 pm

Im in Bexley iamkat

orloc1, Jun 4, 12:30 pm

Have you had your toilet erupt !

orloc1, Jun 4, 12:32 pm

just a tip I was given from one of the cleaning crews - if you have a plunger, jam it down the toilet when not in use - it forms a suction and seals your bowl from the blowback. Do this at night when you go to bed - have heard of people being awakened to the not so comforting sound of the blowback coming up the toilets as these chaps are working on the sewers 24/7.
CCC has crews to specifically clean up so dont be afraid to call and request one

bigrichie, Jun 4, 12:34 pm

Good to know re the plunger! Yes I know a few people who have had the cleanup crews through now - you dont mind cleaning up after your own family but bugger cleaning other peoples crap off the walls.

alaanag, Jun 4, 12:36 pm

Haven't had our toilet erupt since the earthquake and we are in Dallington. we must be lucky so far

spidermac1, Jun 4, 12:42 pm

And maybe should fix own house and land while at it eh!

dktk, Jun 4, 12:47 pm

Have you had other people shit hit the roof of your bathroom! I think not.

-weasel-, Jun 4, 1:10 pm

are you for real, that is other peoples "shit".should NOT be handled by anyone except a professional.

maandpa2b, Jun 4, 1:12 pm

Lady has just been and cleaned up my toilet, did a wonderful job and it smells heaps better, Big ups to her and the council. Thanks heaps

orloc1, Jun 4, 1:14 pm

Yes. I think that I would be keeping my plugs in with something heavy on them too if I were in your situation:)

babyluthi, Jun 4, 1:15 pm

It is not appropriate, and is most definitely a health hazard.

babyluthi, Jun 4, 1:18 pm

My two toilets did too- we are in the Horseshoe Lake loop. Couldn't have waited for someone else to clean it up-boots, several pairs of disposable gloves, mask, bottle of bleach, then shower and clothes in hot wash. No gastro so far.

fionn, Jun 4, 1:25 pm

My toilet erupted this morning there was crap for miles, with two sick kids i was not in the mood. alas out came the rubber gloves and the thick black rubbish bag's:( Hubby slept through the whole mess.

pshark, Jun 4, 2:26 pm

like feck id be cleaning it up , ick !

leelee79, Jun 4, 3:01 pm

has anyone been on the toilet when it erupted!

esawers, Jun 4, 3:04 pm

That could be dangerous for your health

orloc1, Jun 4, 3:10 pm

Yes I am in Bexley too, and last night ours erupted for the first time, it smelt so bad and water everywhere, even up the walls!but only happened to one of our toilets luckily. next time I will be gladwrapping and putting something very heavy on it.

nessies1, Jun 4, 3:38 pm

I heard mine before it erupted, not very pleasant.

pshark, Jun 4, 3:54 pm

O dont worrie about the gurgle.Worrie about the sheet piles they drive into the ground so they can fix the broken pipes.They have finshed in our street (only took 2 months) now they are in retreat rd.so they said thats where they were off to.

every piece they drive in is like a earthquake.and yes it started at 8.30 am untill 4.30 pm.and they dont work weekends.so you do have a rest from the shaking.

the_don_61, Jun 4, 3:59 pm

same here, and the smell! oh lord i will never forget it. You know when they are outside lol We have to go outside because its so disgusting.
Only had a little bit of the yukky water squirt out, So nothing too bad yet but whenever i hear the sound coming out of the toilet and the smell i brace myself for it

groovyroseanne, Jun 4, 9:06 pm

Please all take the advice of lankylass #6.Seal up your loo and use the porta or chemical one. If things are requiring work on the road, you shouldn't be using your flusher, even if it does flush. Makes sense - if it flushes one way it can flush the other. Don't ever want to have to deal with a blowback.

47toby, Jun 4, 11:56 pm

expo5, it's a reverse flush - I think you can kind of liken it to projectile vomitting of your sewer drain.VERY yucky as it's not just your own crap that comes back up but stuff from the rest of the street as well.Our toilet is in our bathroom so it better not happen here!Another thing to add to my list of must haves for our rebuild - separate bathroom and toilet.

craftee, Jun 5, 12:33 am

When master 8(grandson) is visiting he wont use my toilet for fear of that happening. Just noticed this morning that its backing up thru my kitchen drain so looks like Im not going to be able to use it much more either.
Arent all these things major health risks with sewerage surfacing in peoples back yards etc!

theoldknitwit, Jun 5, 9:21 am

Share this thread