Survival Kits

bump because this is a fantastic thread :)

tradersaurus, Mar 2, 7:06 pm

We have added a thermette to our kit. A thermette heats up water with a minimum amount of fuel.I figure that with a thermette I can have hot drinks, hot water to add to noodles etc and hot water for hotties.Do a search and you will be amazed at how brillant thermettes are - try youtube. Got both of mine off trademe - old dungers but perfect for meeting the need.Gas is fine but eventually the gas will run out.There will always be twigs etc for thermettes.And everyone has been amazed at the amount of time it takes to boil water (in bulk) if it NEEDS to be boiled for health's sake.I thoroughly recommend thermettes.

blueskyday, Mar 3, 8:53 am

and on the subject of cash, I recommend several hundred dollars hidden in various places.After Feb cash was needed and we did not have much then. We learnt the hard way.

blueskyday, Mar 3, 8:56 am

and add a couple of those emergency blankets things.(I think that this is important especially if you have kids or someone in shock).

blueskyday, Mar 3, 8:57 am

Also, put a fw bars of chocolate in thier for emergency energy if required.

sheeprus, Mar 3, 9:06 am

2 dollar shops in Nth Island have dynamo torches - had a pile sent down and we have one in every bedroom doorway and extras about the place. these are great we had them in Feb and they charged easy and lasted for ages.

cozzz, Mar 3, 11:11 pm

Great thread. gotta get me one of those dynamo torches, got most every thing else needed !

starry7, Mar 3, 11:17 pm

whoah what an old thread! and i said a naughty word in it!

kelsta2, Mar 3, 11:22 pm

FOOD: Have plenty of food that dosn't need water to rehydrate or mix in. Muesli bars, crackers, marmite, peanutbutter, Up n Go. Keep a spare carrier bag in your pantry so you can chuck a few more things in if there is time. And loads of chocolate for medicinal purposes only.

littlepanda1, Mar 3, 11:33 pm

Ive put liquid stock in mine, the campbells chicken stock and vege stock in various sizes.This is great to use instead of water for cooking and makes emergency kit meals more exciting.adds flavour to rice and pasta.makes boiled potatoes or mash more interesting, and saves on your bottled water!

bananna15, Mar 3, 11:55 pm

I alway's full my flask's in the morning incase we need them, instant hot drinks :) also string and rope came in handy for the Feb quake, kid's games, gumboot's, a solar shower, and my chemical loo no more long drop's for us lol.4

pshark, Mar 4, 9:13 am

I tried that but I ate it when I was hungry.

arcticus, Mar 4, 9:15 am

Hot water bottles,if its winter and its cold,you can heat water and keep warm with a hottie.

Dont forget Tea bags & coffee,and powdered milk ,duno how many people I know ran out of coffee during Feb quake and couldnt get to shops

blackcats13, Mar 4, 9:17 am

We bought a Campo-matic It opens out to a complete double bedroom within seconds and its fun for random camping.

fergus14, Mar 4, 9:29 am

Meds!.panty liners. if you can't change your underwear at least you can change that and feel fresher!A large pot and buckets and rubbish bags. Definitely baby wipes even if you don't have a baby. they are a quick shower in a packet!Solar powered lights from the garden are great too!safer than candles!Make sure your kit is somewere you can get to it. eg not in the garage if it is likely to be inaccessible because of things falling, walls caving or liquefaction. somewhere safe outside is great!WE also have small back pack kits in our vehicles with the basics. hats, survival blankets, a tarp, muesli bars, water, water purification tabs, toilet paper, meds, sanitary needs, phone numbers (for when you phone dies)rubbish bags - which can double as waterproof jackets if need be, cash, first aid, picnic blanket ,dymo torch etc(amazing what you can fit in an old kids school back pack)

aimeelouwhite, Mar 4, 9:45 am

Meds!.panty liners. if you can't change your underwear at least you can change that and feel fresher!A large pot and buckets and rubbish bags. Definitely baby wipes even if you don't have a baby. they are a quick shower in a packet!Solar powered lights from the garden are great too!safer than candles!Make sure your kit is somewere you can get to it. eg not in the garage if it is likely to be inaccessible because of things falling, walls caving or liquefaction. somewhere safe outside is great!WE also have small back pack kits in our vehicles with the basics. hats, survival blankets, a tarp, muesli bars, water, water purification tabs, toilet paper, meds, sanitary needs, phone numbers (for when you phone dies)rubbish bags - which can double as waterproof jackets if need be, cash, first aid, picnic blanket (amazing what you can fit in an old kids school back pack)

aimeelouwhite, Mar 4, 9:45 am

more wet wipes than you could possibly imagine! we went through hundreds after sept and feb. they became a shower in a packet, and are also ideal for handwashing before food prep or eating. they also clean the surfaces you work on.
store some longlife milk in your garage. it was impossible to buy milk for a few days.
panadol.
keep your bbq gas bottle topped up - this could be your only means of cooking.
might sound stupid, but get some of that shampoo you use on dry hair. in the days after a disaster you feel mentally stressed and emotionally sick, physically filthy & gross, so at least being able to make yourself feel clean does give you a mental lift. the hygiene thing is so difficult - i had to run through raw sewerage to get to my kids and then had no running water to wash!
hand santizer. heaps of it. far more than you think reasonable.

ldbaqbeak, Mar 4, 10:14 am

Followed this thread and now have all supplies suggested. ummm all i need now is a 4 bedroomed mobile home to store the stuff !

starry7, Mar 4, 11:58 am

We have young children and my lesson from the Sept quake was to have a 'lantern' type torch as well as a normal one (Kathmandu have great ones)It feels much better if you can at least see each other if you are up in the middle of the night during aftershocks!

guardy, Mar 4, 4:10 pm

I have a fist aid kit in the house which I would be able to grab along with spare water and dried dog food for my boy, bbq outside, sleeping bag and chemical toilet in garage. In my kit is in the car in a waterproof clear plastic bag: blankets in car along with solar lights, radio, torch, plastic bags, tea, coffee, sugar satchets, klennex wipes, sanitizer, spare jersey, socks, muesli bar, pen, paper, deck of cards, panadols and small bottle of shampoo & soap and copies of passport, berth cert.

fostey1, Mar 4, 4:33 pm

Yes, I agree re more hand sanitiser than you can imagine.After Feb we went through a barrel load when we were cleaning up our home.My kitchen had about a foot deep of muck, which took us a whole day to clean up.We had no running water for about 6 weeks, so hand sanitiser was critical.You need one hand sanitiser by the kitchen stuff and one by the toilet potty.

blueskyday, Mar 4, 4:33 pm

+1
Good when camping, we found the only fuel required was sticks!
boils water fast and holds a good volume, make sure you keep plenty of spare matches and newspaper with it.

nzoomed, Mar 4, 4:40 pm

CD's and USB keys are not a recommended backup method.

jcmp21, Mar 4, 4:55 pm

This is a fantastic time to join your boys and girls up to scouts all our Scouts have their survival kits ready with all the families on board as well what is the scout motto "be prepared" Scouting NZ has been absolutely blown away by youth enrolment over the past 15 months, in Canterbury our group has grown heaps over the past year!

malvern_scouts, Mar 4, 5:14 pm

And one or two coldies. :)LOL

angel4010, Mar 4, 5:22 pm

very great ideas . thanks all for posting . my list of WHAT TO GET is VERY long now . very keen to know what foods to get tho :) let me know

tangent_soul, Mar 6, 9:49 pm

Am planning to have two-one-in case we have to leave the house in a big hurry, and another, more equipt one if we have a bit more time.

What I need to know-especially for those in the know-is what you need in there.

This is what I have so far:

Wheely bin (new and cleen for putting everything in.

Water-and empty containers
Water purification tabs
Hand sanitiser and bleach
A pair of running shoes for everyone
Some clothing but not heaps
Photocopies of all birth certs, passports and DLs
Freeze dried food, sweets, tined stuff
Tin opener
Radio and batteries
Torches, candles, more batteries and waterproof matches
Baby wipes and nappies
3 buckets
Cash

What else!

melanieandduane, Feb 28, 4:04 pm

Sleeping bags and ladies sanitary products. Toothbrush and all the hotel freebie soaps saved over the years:)

treasurehunta, Feb 28, 4:07 pm

First aid kit too.

bekybiscuit, Feb 28, 4:12 pm

cool i was looking for a thred like this

madman73, Feb 28, 4:13 pm

First aid kit

sunshinemegs, Feb 28, 4:17 pm

Bin bags and bags for buckets if using as a loo
gas burner
emergency charger for phone
spare car keys

ldra, Feb 28, 4:18 pm

of course adds to list - we have no house bets but we do have farm dogs and stock obliviously but not really sure-if the dogs got out or were let out of their kennels Im sure they could fend for themselves for a few days.

melanieandduane, Feb 28, 4:18 pm

pet food was the thing we didnt have! i started panicking, but luckily found a dairy open, poor puppy wasnt use to dog roll and had the runs!water water water! tin opener (not just the one in your drawer), tins of food. petrol! omg petrol! lol

kelsta2, Feb 28, 4:19 pm

spare medication!

kelsta2, Feb 28, 4:21 pm

A landline phone that dosent use power, the ones that go straight into point. Waterproof matches, candles, small gas burner to cook on and spare gas bottles FULL if you have space to store them. Change clothes for everyone or at least underwear.

pamols, Feb 28, 4:22 pm

luckily i had gone onto a plan with vodafone, i wouldve run out of $$ on my phone ten times over!

kelsta2, Feb 28, 4:22 pm

I havent put much thought into this but here is mine.water, 3 days of food per person, first aid kit, can opener, lighter, matches, candles, torch, spare batteries, copies or birth and marriage certs, pet food, backup disks of important photos, nappies, wet wipes, sanitry products, toilet paper, radio and batteries, list of important phone numbers, some activities for your kids to do, disposable plates and cups, blankets,a corded phone, spare battery charger for your mobile or a car charger, empty bucket, plastic bags for rubbish etc, disposable gloves and something to keep it all in.
Like I said I havent given it too much thought

puggy13, Feb 28, 4:22 pm

we have an on farm manual pump of petrol but not diesel (must fill a few gerrys with it next time Im in town)-and we have two gas bottles which I need to fill and a BBQ but need to get a camping stove.

melanieandduane, Feb 28, 4:23 pm

www.mcdem.govt.nzhas checklists and is a fantastic resource. scanning documents onto CD's or USB's means they last longer and can be more easily update and far more secure and you can send a copy to friends / family not in your area

bantamus, Feb 28, 4:24 pm

what is Eno!

melanieandduane, Feb 28, 4:25 pm

Don't forget you may be in your car if something happens.I keep a pair of sneakers and a small survival kit in there as well.Consists of water, snack bars, barley sugars, a few of our medications which I change each time we get a new prescription. Toilet paper and plasic bags. A torch, umbrella and one of those plastic ponchos rainwear.Have now gotten into the habit of keeping the car gas tank as full as possible.Ph charger and as it already hasa radio hope that is enough.

glenleigh, Feb 28, 4:25 pm

also someone that will grab you and stop you from driving off like a crazy bitch and burying your car in muddy water.

kelsta2, Feb 28, 4:25 pm

Guess it depends on where u live and whether or not you feel any of your buildings likely to survive to some extent : eg skyline type garage may twist but not likely to fall down. Consider some tarpaulins - useful to cover broken windows, plastic plates and cups as crockery likely broken in good quake. Some means of cooking. Dried goods like pasta and rice will keep a long time.

gorsegully, Feb 28, 4:29 pm

Photos of yourselves. In case you become separated. and a small backpack to carry around your documents if you lose the big bin.

maxxx, Feb 28, 4:33 pm

Hammer with hooked end and a tomahawk.

maxxx, Feb 28, 4:34 pm

Hadn't thought of a hammer. Those cheap rain ponchos are soo handy. Wouldn't mind a man named McGiver either.

treasurehunta, Feb 28, 4:37 pm

That is an excellent idea

melanieandduane, Feb 28, 4:46 pm

Birth control

treasurehunta, Feb 28, 5:04 pm

A hardy pocket knife is something I'd have, thats handy as a tool not a weapon

medgirl, Feb 28, 5:04 pm

Share this thread