People that are obcessed with earthquakes Page 1 / 7

boardrider, Feb 13, 7:59am
Tool!

totaranui2003, Feb 14, 12:06am
There's little or no point in basing any talk on a single event such as we are experiencing - a regional earthquake sequence. A single event needs to be compared with a large number of similar events for any sense to be made of it,. and to get any degree of reliable forecasting.

male_timaru, Feb 14, 5:22am
sounds more like DENIAL to me - try to ignore and forget - not something i will be doing - i am learning and interested for my own hobby and informaiton

not obsessed but intrigued as to the pattern like behaviour and even more puzzled by the fact that patterns are out there and are quite obvious too .

mattthetubaguy, Feb 14, 6:36am
I agree. The problem with earthquakes is that we simply don't have enough records.
Weather can be forecast fairly accurately these days, but weather happens on the scale of hours, days and weeks.
Earthquakes on the other hand happen on the scale of centuries and millennia. we simply don't have enough data yet to make accurate forecasts, especially for our unusual sequence.
So far, only the largest events can be predicted with poor accuracy. in places like Japan, where records go back thousands of years, the frequency of large events can be used to forecast when future events are likely to happen. When you don't have written records, it is still possible to use natural evidence, which is how the Alpine Fault ruptures have been dated. this can only tell you when you would expect a quake to happen though, which is almost always different to when it actually happens, but it is a start.

totaranui2003, Feb 14, 7:35am
There's enough regional earthquake sequences in modern times to compare ours to, and to make some reasonably accurate forecasts about where ours might be headed.

matthew111, Feb 14, 7:44am
. yes a bit like us all on trade me threads.

gordy8252, Apr 12, 9:17am
What do you think about those people that spend the whole day telling us about every single earthquake that happens around the world.i think they lead very very sad lives

pommie74, Apr 12, 9:18am
I don't understand it, but each to their own I guess.

lukestuart181, Apr 12, 9:18am
AGREED dont think its healthy personally!

freggo, Apr 12, 9:21am
Strange, earthquakes have always happened, I don't see the point at looking at every single earthquake that has happened around the world.

kenny92, Apr 12, 9:22am
This thread will get some people going *waits for abuse to begin* lol

lukestuart181, Apr 12, 9:22am
absolutely

addington261, Apr 12, 9:26am
Isn't that why it was started!

chip8, Apr 12, 9:28am
I think it is very sad when someone is so obsessed. It must be sheer hell sitting at a computer damn near 24 hrs a day watching for earthquakes anywhere in the world just so that they can post it on an MB, especially when said person is on dial up, it must be even more painfull.

paddaricko, Apr 12, 9:28am
I'm going to start another thread entitled, "People that are obsessed with obsessed people starting threads about earthquakes and other obsessions" lol.

simba79, Apr 12, 9:30am
Agree.,personally not into earthquake hunting but each to their own.

bob955, Apr 12, 9:30am
They may be perfectly happy lol.We've all got our hobbies. personally I don't see the attraction in collecting Royal Doulton china, but am happy someone gets pleasure from it.

original-kiwi, Apr 12, 9:31am
LOL! Good one. =D

simba79, Apr 12, 9:32am
LOL.or maybe a what do you think of people that start threads aimed at sh#t stirring!

lukestuart181, Apr 12, 9:33am
Ah ha that will be it!

taipan4, Apr 12, 9:46am
Likes. kind of like beating your head on a brick wall and hoping to get some kind of thrill from it but at the same time being scared to do it.think it's called compulsion.masochism

craftylady1, Apr 12, 6:32pm
I spoke to a psychologist re this topic.and he said.fear leads to paranoia, which leads to obsession. Filling their minds with a certain topic.in this case earthquakes, by reading and filling thier mind with said topic, will eventually lead to major problems.
He then went on to say that the worst thing a person who has become obsessed with a topic such as this, is to fill their mind with more stuff that will feed their fears. These people deny their fear and say.Im just interested in finding out all about it.
He told me.do NOT read everything about e/qs, do NOT watch every single news clip that has e/q footage, do NOT look up websites re e/qs.
He then said.keep busy, do lots of walking, exercise, stay off computer as much as possible, and do NOT sit and wait for the next 1, but get back to normal asap

val14, Apr 12, 6:43pm
morning crafty.very interesting, sounds like good advice

I guess it also depends who is getting obsessed. if it is people not in or from chch, outsiders, if could be there way of dealing with it.everyone deals with it in there own well.

craftylady1, Apr 12, 6:50pm
Morning val.how are u! Im just off to the gym.just found earphones that grand daughter had hidden in her little nook of hidden things.lol

val14, Apr 12, 6:55pm
I'm really good, thanks crafty. been doing so much better, how about you! I should email you again, been ages it seems

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)